Why play Chaos?

Lord Lee

Ok so to start I don't really want to go into the whole power level of our codex vs Imperial codex X, I am trying to find that "something" in Chaos Space Marines that will give me the drive to peruse the army like I am doing with my Vostroyan Firstborn and Tyranids. For them it's the fluff and the models that do it (come on you know you like Vostroyan Firstborn) but I find Chaos is harder to connect to on a personal level.

So why do you play Chaos Space Marines?

Is it the fluff, the special units (cult, daemon engines, etc) your full and utter dedication to the fell powers of the warp or something even more special.

What make this the army of choice for you.

Please share all the positive that you can, if it's a fluff story or cool artwork or even a fantastic model post it up I'm sure we would all like to see what makes Chaos great.

Thank you.

Lord Lee.

The quadrillion modelling possibilities, even more than any other races.

The fact that they are the bad guys, the Great ennemy.

But you must like to suffer...

For me it started back in the 90's when 3rd Ed just came out, i was like 8 or 9yro, i always liked to build stuff, be it with tootpicks and ducktape when i was a kid or genuine models, and don't get me started on legos...

But i wasn't satisfied tnat once i had built something, apart from going "vroooossh" "pew pew" with it, it was just there collecting dust.

So when i discovered the White dwarf and some 40k models in my fav comic book store, i was intrigued, and when i asked non stop questions at the owner he gave me a white dwarf and a pamplet with the quick rules/gist of how the game worked.

The White dwarf had the CSM of khorne portrait that was also the cover for the 3rd Ed codex and was about the CSM new codex and models.

Now not knowing the fluff, i just assumed that CSM where SM, but more bad ass since they had the Chaos word in their name.

So i started collecting well SM, mainly because the guy din't had the codex at the time, so i started collectin a small Smurf army and one of my friend who i had convinced to play with started Orks.

The proof that the Blood God influence was allready strong wiht me, i exchanged with my friend some bits, meanly orks arms and CCW, used the orks arms and heads to make for like macabre trophies on my Smurfs models, and they where using the orks CCW instead of those puny knifes they had, and they where full of splatters of blood...

So after a few games in a GW store i finally faced a CSM with 2 Dreads and Abby, there rest i don't remember, it was utter destruction, never stood a chance and i was in awe.

So i did oick up the codex and a few CSM kits, painted my SMurfs black and red and so i started Chaos and absolutly loved it.

Still play with my old Pewter Smurf Dread that was converted to the Glory of the Blood God.

Converting models, this has been the main part of the hobby for me since I started collecting in 1996.  My first White Dwarf was issue 202 which had a article on conversion, with codex Chaos Marines 2nd ed been the recent codex back then.  It shown art work by John Blanche & then displayed conversion by member of the studio.

I went from Ultramarines to Black Legion right away with in the small amount time I'd just started the hobby back then.  As said since then conversion been the main part.  When I look that a army, it will be down to the model side.

I started gaming a bit more during 3rd ed, before that it was mainly Warhammer Fantasy.

I've always been drawn back to Chaos & always have idea for conversion.  My Iron Warriors are my main force, they have 250+ models converted & painted.  In the future I would like to collect all 9 Legions & a few warbands.  Just for me each one offer something different on the modelling side.

I like the whole look to Chaos from what we've seen in the art work.  I think a lot of this is to do with the movie Willow, watching that as a kid & rememeber how cool all the different armour & weapons look.  It the same when watching say the Hobbit or LotR when Weta talk about the design for all of that, all research.

Maybe why I done a NQ to HND model making course in college for three years.

Converting models add depth to the army for me & allow me to tell the story of my force though those conversion.  I like adding sub themes to each of my units & models.  Always been inspired by something cool.

Like wise always like the background & novels.  From the Iron Warriors series to Talons of Horus that was release last year & then the Bloodquest comic that use to be part of Warhammer Monthly.  The whole 13th Black Crusade & the codex release for that.  Also not forgetting the Night Lord series.

Gaming - I've always enjoy gaming with Chaos & as said there it been 18+ year of collecting Chaos.  It a codex I've went back to time & time again.  I find they fit my gaming style which is aggressive & hard fought games.

Be honesty I can really careless what armies are current "top" of what ever.  I don't want to waste my time & energy worry about it, they come & go.  I rather focuses on collecting armies I will enjoy building, painting & gaming with. 

As said there - Chaos has been my main army of chose for 18 year.  From Black Legion to my Iron Warriors.  With the Black Legion supplement & Talons of Horus novel it has made me thinking about start up my Black Legion, possible for this year Call of Chaos as a small allied force for my Iron Warriors.

Then I've got my Space Wolves I started in 2009, currently looking to getting them up to date with the codex & planning a whole list of models I want to convert up.
Then my second Ravenwing army I started just near the end of 2012 after finding a Battleforce in the garage (moving house).  I'm looking forward adding a few new units to my force.

I borrowed a mates Chaos Codex one lunchtime back in 2nd Ed, and was just instantly hooked. I bought that codex and his small army off him for 30 quid about a fortnight later, and never looked back.

As to why I'm still playing them 17-ish years later? The modelling opportunities are endless, all of our stuff looks really damn cool and you get way more freedom when it comes to counts as compared to pretty much every other army. Also every new marine kit is like another box for us as well. I'm also finally realising my dream of an army for each of the original Traitor Legions, which has thus far been hampered by a lack of time and money.

Fundamentally as well, I think they just latched on to whatever bit of my brain recognises awesomeness and never let go.

Dragonlover

I got into Chaos, rather than Orks (the other good conversion army), mostly down to Dark Vengeance. It gave me enough models at a reasonable price to see if I actually wanted to get back into the hobby, rather than just buying a few miniatures for my RPG games. Since then, I've learnt we really aren't a great army to play but I've enjoyed painting a lot more than I used to, I've kept at it and kept expanding my army, unit by unit.

The simple answer is Chaos is the coolest faction!

For me it's the army's individuality that surpasses all others. Every model in a Chaos army can be different, every model matters, every model can have its own history or background. I'm an old skool player, I'm more interested in the RPG element than the vast armies that GW promotes these days. Chaos Space Marines lend themselves to this philosophy more than any other army (Inquisition aside), okay, they might not be the power houses that other armies are, but that just gives us an excuse to hate everybody else even more and to return for our revenge! msn-wink.gif

It was the models that attracted me to 40k in the first place and it's probably the reason most people get into it originally. The modelling opportunities with Chaos Marines are vast, I can spend weeks just thinking about a conversion and then a month building and painting it.

Once I learnt about the background I was hooked, even more so when Slaves to Darkness came out. For me it's the background that keeps me interested in the army, I can relate to my Castigators' selfish desires, the Night Lords' twisted psychotic hatred or the World Eaters' all consuming rage, they're just manifestations of the human psyche taken to the extreme and everybody knows it's fun to play the bad guy. On the other hand, I dislike Tyranids for their mindless hive mentality, the Guard for their faceless insignificance or the Tau for their Greater Good tongue.png .

40k isn't a good enough game to focus on the game alone, modelling, converting, painting, background and gaming are all part of the hobby, and for me Chaos Space Marines tick every box cool.png

I started in 1995 - and within a year or so, we had some of the best metal sculpts of Plague Marines and even the beloved plastic kit that has kept me hooked for the last twenty years.

It's become somewhat of an obsession, and inevitably, I keep adding to all my Chaos factions, with Death Guard at the heart. There are always things to adapt, convert, improve on - and I've done that, having basically stripped the majority of my collection a few years ago and having gone head over heels into improving my painting and modelling. 

I dread to think how many points we're looking at now - perhaps it is better not knowing...

For me, as with others, I was attracted by the conversion and modelling possibilities with Chaos armies. Not to mention a wilder palette. A chance for a bit of madness after loyalist marines and Imperial Guard.

I think most of the stories start with "well I started playing them X years ago". It is true for me for sure. Gamewise there better [and what is worse] or more fun dex. Conversions can be done with loyalists[13th company, SW,/ronHands/ minotaurs and we more or less have the mechanical fur spiked csm covered], and I know a lot of people use loyalist parts to build their models. Playing chaos has[or had] also ment a lot of freedom in how your dudes get painted/converted. no idential shoulder/knee pads. You could make a crazy chain axs the size of a marine and other "cool" stuff.

Fluff, I guess, mostly? Sadly, a lot of the reasons I had for playing CSMs in the first place have kind of been lost over the years, so my own personal main reason to play chaos at this point is mostly just that I already do. The fluff remains, though, and some of it is even better than what it was in the past. Abaddon, in particular, has seen one hell of a face lift in the last year or so, between the Black Legion supplement and ADB's 'Talon of Horus'.

Dark Vengeance also brought us some of the best, most chaotic chaos marine models in the history of the faction. Those chosen really are just amazing, everything that chaos marines in the 41st millenium should be, and exactly the chaos marine itch that 30k models and rules almost completely fail to scratch, imo. But the look hasn't filtered through to most of the rest of the CSM range yet (basically just the raptors/warp talons at this point), and those DV chosen are a bear to convert.

I really feel like CSMs have been hovering on the edge of being awesome again for a while, but it would take a pretty major release to push them over that edge, of the type GW has been shying away from lately. Something more than the 'facelift on the existing book plus maybe a single new character clampack' that most updates of existing codeces have been seeing for the last while.

But yeah, in the mean time the fluff remains.

I like being the Bad Guys.

I like antiheroes and tragedy.

I like the modeling and fluff freedom.

I like space marines but dislike most loyalist chapters (my one loyalist marine project is Lamenters.)

I've now played and collected them so much that it's my "default army" because I know them better and have a larger and more varied selection of them than my other armies.

No matter how difficult it becomes to win, my CSM look cool and are satisfying to own.

Fluff and modelling opportunities. They were also my first true army - I remember my friend had the 2nd edition box set and we often had games against each other, which is how I got into the game, but then I laid eyes on the Chaos Marines and fell in love. My first ever purchase - the boxed set of 5 plastic berzerkers in a static pose. I love the fluff to both the Legions and recently turned renegades. My brother, a die-hard Eldar player, even admitted he's envious of the Chaos fluff and modelling possibilities. 

Above all else its the freedom offered by the Ruinous Powers, both in universe and in real life. I also like playing the 'bad guy' and being the underdog . When you look as if your back is firmly against the wall and then snatch victory from the jaws of defeat, then you feel like a true champion. 

I pretty much always have. When I first got into the hobby they were the unrepresented faction among my friends, at the time they barely had models on sale (pre 2nd Ed codex) as the codex came out I steadily grew my army until I drifted away from it, by then the chaos bug had me, the conversions, fluff, everything everyone else says. I never won games then either because my mates were all such power gamers. When my uni housemate started to collect a space marine force I dug out some of my old stuff, and started adding to it. My forces have gone from those first plastic monopose khorne bezerkers, through an alpha legion/black legion combo force to just alpha legion, via emperor's children to my current Word Bearers. The last two as I began a process of building uniquely themed and modelled armies based on a lord conversion. Progress has been slow.

Basically they appealed to my twelve year old self as he learnt to enjoy rock music.

My main fascination with Chaos is the truth. Chaos is the truth of the 40k universe. The marines do not pretend to be anything else but themselves, they wear the colors they please, they serve the legions and the lords they please and they do what they please. There is no dogma, no affirmed doctrine, no questions, no answers, no demands but to be what they are, posthuman demigod killing machines. Warrior kings, warrior scholars, soldiers, commanders, priests, sorcerers, they are free to explore whatever they wish.

The lure of Chaos in my opinion is that I never had to be pretend to be anything else. I love legions, I can play a legion; I love sorcery and magic, well I can play and revel in sorcery and magic; pride, arrogance, defiance and to be that voice outside the choir, well that is Chaos to me. 

I love Chaos not as much for the conversions (I dislike them) but for the sheer sandbox effect it has on me. I can say without a problem or controversy that for example Brother Sevastan is a former Ultramarine who was more than willing to whore his very soul, life and bloodline just to survive the raid of the Black Legion. I can say, and I can play a spineless, treacherous but very much egotistical marine and still be true to the fluff. Or I can say that Aspiring Champion Snaga is an old guard, a veteran of the Heresy who is lost in that time, still wearing his armor polished, still calling his comrades by their ancient rank, still reminiscing and still living the life of a legionary despte the harsh reality around it.

It is easy to say fluff but Chaos is so much more, it is expression, ideas and courage to explore every facet of the 40k army in your tabletop army and still be true to the established lore. 

I love Chaos because I am a very much a machiavellian person, with a great like for the arch villain in every story, a person who sees the many facets of humanity not as something to shun but to be explored and understood. Also I am Chaos to the bone and despite the ups and downs of my army I still willingly cast myself and my army as the villains in every story and campaign in my club, and even after all those years I still like that role and that drammatis persona of the Chaos Space Marine (or Daemon, or Renegade, or Lost&Damned). 

Why? Because I choose to live the truth of the 40k universe rather than fight and die for a lie. 

Great response Tenebris!

I have to agree, when it comes to background they are so much more interesting than the Imperials, since you are free to do what you want. I mean, I finally got a Warpsmith, and his background is that he is actually one of the survivors from the Tyranid splinter fleet that attacked the area around the galactic core, which means he is a.... Squat (model is the Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmiths from FW)!

A squat Chief Engineer who found refuge in the Maelstrom, then ending up throwing his lot in the the Dark Mechanicum and finally ending up on the factory-world of Galmek, the Word Bearer base of operations in that region. His hatred for the Imperium knows no bounds, as they are oath-breaker of the worst kind, leaving his people to die in their hour of need.

I have been pondering some greenskin allies, to represent his slaves as a homage to the Chaos Dwarves of whfb. Would be funny to imagine them freaking out (Desperate Allies) when Daemons are summoned. smile.png

It just doesn't work having a squat tech-marine in a SM army. Perhaps as a count-as in an IG army, but loyalists are a bit more restricted that's for sure.

My Word Bearers try to maintain the Legion heritage, since the WB are kinda special when it comes to their relation with Chaos. As I see it, they didn't really become a proper Legion until after they embraced Chaos. Before, they were always a sort of 'unwilling' legion, with a leader who did not want to lead them to war. After their fall to Chaos, they were finally able to experience the heydays that their fellow legions had gone through, with a leader that lead them properly as the warriors they were always ment to be, so for them there is no clear 'Before chaos=legion', 'After chaos=warband'.

But still, chaos does drive everyone mad eventually, so they struggle to say the least. tongue.png

For that matter, I also love the conversions, I try to do something with every single model in my army.

Also, zombies! And Daemons! And cultists!

Awesome stuff. smile.png

*edit*

It also has to be said that I don't think I am psychologically able to 'quit' Chaos. They were the first army I got hooked on back in 2ed. I still fondly remember the black and white army lists included in the 2ed starter, with a mix of CSM, daemons, cultists and even beastmen!

My older brother got the 2ed starter back when it was new, and perhaps a year after I started getting into the game (my English wasn't that good when I was 11 :P), so I think I have been playing/collecting CSM for 21 years. Not something you easily just throw away.

When I started about 4 years ago, everyone in my small group played loyalists.  IMO someone has to play the "bad guys", so I chose the dark side and narrowed my options to Dark Eldar or Chaos Space Marines.  I chose Chaos Space Marines because I felt they might be more forgiving, and the Dark Eldar models seemed beyond my painting ability at the time.

After reading through the 3.5ed CSM codex (before I realized it was out of date by 1 and soon to be 2 editions, derp!) I picked the Night Lords as their rules and fluff seemed to support my desired play style of being fast(ish) but still durable.

For me, a new enthusiast, it's the imagery. The massive warrior with the great horned helm and skull festooned baroque armor is the most awesome figure in a setting crowded with awesome figures. Plus, he has a huge axe, and even his pistol has a blade.

The imagery is just the surface, when you delve into the lore you find that the image is of a 10,000 year old demigod of war who has been residing in hell for much of that time, occasionally making forays into the Imperium to make them pay for their sins, and to remind them that he is out there, and he remembers, and one day he will come for them.

It has also been my experience with traditional role playing games that playing the bad guy does not make for a long term fun game. This is not the case with 40k. This is the chance to play the bad guys, THE BAD GUYS, in a setting where everyone is evil to some degree.

Then there are zombies. There is also wizards, and mutants and daemonic machines. Awesome.

As a side note I did some crude math based on some of the veterans who have posted in this thread and Wikipedia.

Slayer le Boucher- 17 years Chaos

Insane Psychopath- 19 years Chaos

Dragonlover- 17 years Chaos

Castigor- 27+ years Chaos

Chaeron- 20 years Chaos

I am both in awe of this dedication and reassured as to why my painting is so terrible in comparison with these masters.

Yup that pretty much it.

Even though i'm far from a Master, i'm quite good with converting stuff, but even there there is people that are far better then me, painting not so much.

Also like Tenebris and  Malisteen said the fluff is also very important, of course Chaos fluff is just awesome when you like that grim dark and cruel atmosphere, i mean i Absolutly loved the First Legacy of kain; Blood Omen game at the time( i think it came out 3 years before i started 40k or something), loved the Ann Rice novels that my cousin gave me to read after i saw Interview with a Vampire and i cried a little when Vader dies out in the Return of the Jedi, with that faint dying out Imperial March tune in the background.

So yeah, Chaos fluff just spoke to me, 40k fluff in general was amazing sauce when i discovered it back in the day( when it was even more grittier), but Chaos was just the icing on the cake for me.

My first army was tau, and I started playing at the beginning of 5th edition.  A friend of mine had been sitting on a Chaos Space Marine army for some time, and having built my Tau to be the Harbingers of Woe to Fenris...I fought all manner of "Space Wolves" it was like a parallel universe where Leman Russ wrote the Codex Astartes-I was the only Xenos player but I quickly learned that "Strength 5 shooting!"  and "30 inch range!" didn't excuse Firewarriors as great troops, and I could have saved a BUNCH OF MONEY by just taking the first 12 in the battleforce and splitting them in two and putting them in Devilfish.

In 5th edition they didn't get proper Rapid Fire at 15" and couldn't move and shoot-so I was paying premium points for s5 shooting that wouldn't likely do much against the tide of Ceremite coming down on my guys...and I went into a few years of Pertabo levels of Bitterness.  It was in this time of cold, wrathful play (2 troops choices in Devilfish in reserve-the Rest was Crisis Suits, Piranhas, Broadsides and/or Hammerheads).  I was bringing at least 13 crisis suits no matter the size of the game.

My Tau army was VERY aggressive, and adaptable on the fly, and by that time I had enough guys, tanks and Suits to ram the entire army down a Space Marine forces' throat and break them over my knee-until close combat happened.

I wanted space wolves-I ain't gonna lie, it's because they had the best rules and were basically "Chaos Lite" with a Khorne bent.  I'd done research-Chaos Sucked-but I had the opportunity to buy a Chaos Army/collection largely on Sprue for VERY cheap so I was like "Meh, I'll do like that Goatboy guy and just count as like a champion.  At least I'll have some background to write about my army for once and I won't suck in Close combat."

My god, the first time I got a charge off with some Khorne beserkers in 5th edition-I chummed a Unit of Grey Hunters-it was AWESOME.  I loved running Khârn, a Slaanesh Marked Sorcerer and a horde of Beserkers into something.

Then 6th dropped.  My base tau army became better with Zero modification needed (except the d6 Thrust moves)-and Allies opened up the possibility to shore up weaknesses in each others armies-I could take the stuff I loved from Chaos with my Tau-even though Vanilla Marines were actually battle Bros. which got me to wanting to make some gun metal green Space Marines with gold visors and repaint my Tau as largely blue and violet-that didn't really pan out.

Then the respective Codices came out.  It was my first experience with having one of my armies with a new codex...and the Chaos codex is what it is.  It took away what I'd grown to like about the 4th/5th edition one, the rules changes did that too.

Then I found myself essentially making a Black Legion Ctacs in Rhinos type army-the kind of army that Loyalists do better, and have better rules for-but honestly is pretty much future proof in case of GeeDub doing different things with the rules.

I've stuck with Chaos Space Marines instead of doing mass counts as because-with Unbound I can have a Jump Pack army without having to play Count As Blood Angels (which they lost jump pack guys as troops in the newest book), or I could take muliple Combined arms detachments and have "lieutennants" for my main Warlord (still think the Heresy ruleset got the majority of the best rules in regards to HQ customization).  And I really like the base customization of units with their upgrades.  There's certainly flaws, but the closest two loyalists I'd want to play as are either Space Wolves (Chaos Lite with Loyalist Quality Rules and Ally Chart) and Space Sharks/Charcaradons. 

I played with Red Corsairs-got rid of them, went MSU/Horde Beserker and Spawn Spam-the Most hated army in the Group, tied only with my Tau.  And eventually made everything Black Legion in combination with how I've modeled them (not many spikes, horns or mutations-cut down exhaust ports on the backpacks) so that If I So desired-I could still Count As a HH Legion army or any Loyalist 40k Space Marine army.

I mostly went with Black Legion because I was wanting a Black Army, and ADB's excellent book Talon of Horus and Abaddon's line about how the Black Legion were going to perfect the Warband mentality, and the bit about how the Black Legionaires view war as a profession-it was really cool and moving, because so much of my army ideas had been "Like the World Eaters, Alpha Legion and Night Lords-but" my concepts were the Black Legion in all but name.

I think I'm in the same boat as you.

I have some Chaos stuff but I've never really been inspired though, I dunno what it is but from personal experience my imagination doesn't run as wild with them as it does in regards to loyalist chapters. On a practical note though I think their codex is pretty weak and not unique enough.

Fluff and imagery. And I blame this bad boy

http://www.tomeoftreasures.com/research_forums/warhammerslavestodarkness.jpg

Believe it or not, originally I was into WFB and Khorne. Mostly because it reminded me of the classic fanstasy bad guys who always had the best costumes. Films like Willow and Conan. So when I got more into 40k it just made sense, though I dabbled more in the snotty one initially.

For me it's mostly like others have said. Modelling opportunities, freedom with creativity, and everyone loves a bad guy. I mean, come on. Who doesn't love the likes of Alien, Predator, Pinhead, and the Fly ;)

Plenty of reasons:

1.) Probably the most distinct and characterful subfactions so there's lots of variety while still playing "Chaos" (I've played IW, DG, WE, NL, and now Red Corsairs)

2.) The faded glory aspect of the fluff, these guys were once superhuman demigods that stood at the top of Imperial esteem but lived in gilded cages unable to exercise their own desires, and are now bitter shadows of their former selves, damned to a kind of unconscious slavery. Oh the irony.

3.) I'm kind of a cynical person by nature so Chaos Marines seem more "realistic" to me as I can't see a bunch of superhumans just quietly serving normal humans out of a sense of honor or duty. On that note, I identify a lot more with the mindset of Chaos Marines than Loyalists, living and dying for a society you can never really be part of seems like a raw deal.

4.) A lot of opportunities for individualized champions/standard bearers/etc.

5.) Awesome paint schemes. I love the matte red and black on the Corsairs, very menacing and striking.

Here the art work, also shown over on ADB facebook page a few year ago.

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee412/JFmodel/Iron%20Warriors/1233592_580096798718882_171159889_n_zps8d120a02.jpg

Then my first ever conversion was my Chaos Lord for my Black Legion seen in front row, second to the left.  As said started the hobby in 1996 when I was ten year old, walking past Games Workshop Edinburgh during the Sept holidays. 
While White Dwarf 202 my first WD, pick that up a few week later when I was on holiday to Aberdeen.

http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt347/Insane-Psychopath/Iron%20Warriors/DSC08550_zps56ba547b.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/ironwarriors/insane%20psycopath/New%20IW/DSC05104.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/ironwarriors/insane%20psycopath/New%20IW/DSC05105.jpg

Got John to sign my pretty beaten up copy of White Dwarf 202 that Games Day 2012.  With it saying "Burn Heretic"

http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt347/Insane-Psychopath/Games%20Day%202012/DSC05606_zps2d59316c.jpg

As a side note I did some crude math based on some of the veterans who have posted in this thread and Wikipedia.

Slayer le Boucher- 17 years Chaos

Insane Psychopath- 19 years Chaos

Dragonlover- 17 years Chaos

Castigor- 27+ years Chaos

Chaeron- 20 years Chaos

I am both in awe of this dedication and reassured as to why my painting is so terrible in comparison with these masters.

We are in it for the Long War :lol:

Archived