Vlka Fenryka WIP - Small update on Murderfang

Argyle

I'll skip all the "Ive been gone for a long time...blah blah".

I'm back in action again and plan to share the journey with you all once more, however long it lasts this time lol. Credit to all of you here for providing me the inspiration to get back at it again. Especially to Fangbanger, Munger (Beautiful Ragnar!), Maddog, Grimdark Prince, Dantay_xv, Amarog and a slew of others from the space wolf sub that I'm forgetting for your Space Wolves work. You're a credit to your pack mates.

That being said...I decided to jump in with a Murderfang. Being the way I am...I could not bare to leave the figure stock. Adjustments ensued and here is where we're at. Dreadnought legs are tricky, but I think the pose is just about where I want it. Please feel free to be forthcoming with any critiques.

gallery_31762_5407_80034.jpg

gallery_31762_5407_124572.jpg

gallery_31762_5407_88621.jpg

gallery_31762_5407_18728.jpg

gallery_31762_5407_39079.jpg

gallery_31762_5407_102745.jpg

Sorry for the less than professional photos, but for a WIP shot I think they will serve. For anyone who wants it, heres a link to my HoH thread from my last run with Wolves; Contemptor & Njal!

As for work to be done yet on this moddle, I think he's just about wrapped up and ready for paint. I want to add a few more trophies hanging with his cloak but thats about it unless anyone has some ideas!!

Very dynamic! Well done!!!

What technique did you use to get the cloak fur looking so good?

I used a hobby knife and made very small 1-2 mm downward strokes in rows from one side to the other. I started at the bottom and worked up one row at a time. I then took a small pair of snips (similar to the GW sprue snips) and did the same pattern from one side to the other working from bottom to top. I made a small snip about 2 mm wide and pulled down as I closed them. Let me know if this doesn't communicate effectively the technique and I'll do a shot by shot when I do the next cloak. Three more dreads to get done so I'll definately be making another one!

Well I just wrapped up the cloak but I'd appreciate some feed back before I go greenstuffing all the little straps that hold the skulls to the chain. Is it to much? Or just right for Murderfang?

gallery_31762_5407_87059.jpg

Perfect I'd say. Terrific conversion all around. Did you use guitar string one the legs/arms or is that craft wire you wrapped yourself? I ask because in the past I have tried to use the wire and it seems to separate at the "bends' when I use it, so I went to craft wire which is softer.

Sorry to run off there, great looking Dread, really looking forward to seeing it with paint on it. A fellow Wolf is always welcome (more ideas to "borrow" LoL)

Perfect I'd say. Terrific conversion all around. Did you use guitar string one the legs/arms or is that craft wire you wrapped yourself? I ask because in the past I have tried to use the wire and it seems to separate at the "bends' when I use it, so I went to craft wire which is softer.

Sorry to run off there, great looking Dread, really looking forward to seeing it with paint on it. A fellow Wolf is always welcome (more ideas to "borrow" LoL)

Guilty as charged. It is guitar wire and it does tend to separate at the bends. I usually cheat it with a bit of greenstuff, which I will probably do here as I do see a few small separations. Its just so easy to use guitar wire being that I play guitar =P.

Anyways, just realized I should get some final pose shots up for general feedback...

gallery_31762_5407_28382.jpg

gallery_31762_5407_14700.jpg

gallery_31762_5407_74284.jpg

He is actually not glued or even tacked together at either arm or the waist. Miraculously that is his natural balance point when losely assembled. That leaves me hopeful that I atleast got the physics right for the pose?? I hope...

How in all thats holy did you do that cloak, I mean the white part.

Every time I try something like that it just looks like an abomination.

The amount of skulls on the chain is indeed as 200Plus said, perfect, my oly thing is that the skulls look placed on top of the chain rather than having holes cut in them and the chain threaded through. Could jus be the camera angle though!!

You have done a great job of making a very static model look dynamic, the choise of feet also add to the feral look.

TH stormbolter and flamer lookgreat too.

Can't wait to see it all painted up and ready for war :)

@ Dantay_xv 

The cloak seems to be popular. I will definately do a step by step tutorial within the next day or two. Work permitting. In the meantime I'll try to vocalize.

1. I take a sheet of 1mm thick card stock. Draw out the rough shape of what I want and proceed to cut it out.

2. While cutting I make the edges a little bit rough and unevenly cut if I am going for the pelt look. I'll use straight edges for a more traditional cloak however. Also with pelts I'll usually cut some grooves into the edges.

3. Holding the card in hand and using a bic lighter held about 1.5 inches under the card I heat up a small area, starting where the cloak will mount to the body. The card will soften within about 3-5 seconds. You can visibly see it happen. Very quickly as you only have about the same 5 seconds of play time, get the plastic in place and use my fingers to shape it. Once its shaped properly to be mounted on the body and work my way down the cloak in small sections. You dont have enough play time to do the whole thing. One trick as well is to hold the cloak so the direction you want it "blowing' Is toward the floor and then start heating the whole thing. It will soften and sag in that direction so when held upright looks like it is blowing. (hard to explain without pics-which will be coming soon!)

**Be careful not to overheat! You dont want to see any smoke come off the card or any blackmarks start to form. I have earned quit a few blisters by overheating and then touching...the card melts and sticks to you heh**

4. Apply greenstuff. Here is a link to another cloak I did. It shows the card (although not the best angle) before any greenstuff was applied. Here is a link to another cloak I did Contemptor WiP.

As for the skulls appearing to be seated on top of the chain, that was the effect I settled  for. I am now going to use greenstuff to apply little leather straps like can be seen on the center skulls nose and on the rack that goes above Murderfang. The idea is that they are tassled to the chain with leather thong. I wanted to go directly through the heads with chain but I did not like that the chain then lifted away from the cloak and provided very little as an anchor point for glue. With such a small scale chain it was really funny looking anyways.

Perfect posing job on that dreadnought-- one detail I am particularly in love with is the double ammo drum on the underslund storm bolter.  That is fantastic. 

Thank you!! I'm glad that ammo drum(s) was caught by someone. If you've looked at the stock murderfang, his clip looks like it might be able to hold 3-4 rounds. It had to go.

No worries, my conversion skills are limited to say the least. I tried to put a chain on my praetor. Between my impatience and fat fingers I ended up with a pinky chain. Not very manly in the office :p

I guess tied on as they are, there is less chance for MurderFang to lose them eh? I wouldn't want to be the serf who has to re-attach them.

No worries, my conversion skills are limited to say the least. I tried to put a chain on my praetor. Between my impatience and fat fingers I ended up with a pinky chain. Not very manly in the office tongue.png

I guess tied on as they are, there is less chance for MurderFang to lose them eh? I wouldn't want to be the serf who has to re-attach them.

I'd imagine atleast a few of those skulls belong to serfs!

• 3 weeks later...

Well I got off track. Started work on about 6 other projects/conversions. All Space Wolf related at least! Progress on Murderfang has been much slower than intended. Here is his present state. Much highlighting/shading and battle damage to take place before I start to work on something for that base.

gallery_31762_5407_88651.jpg

gallery_31762_5407_83872.jpg

gallery_31762_5407_14728.jpg

gallery_31762_5407_71303.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived