Carlson's XVIIIth Legion

Carlson793

Beginning work on my five man Firedrakes squad and decided I need a good reason to increase the size of it. Hmm...well if one of those 'Drakes becomes a Primus Medicae, I'll be one man short for a playable unit.

First WIP photos of the P-Med. So far I've just replaced the hammer forearm with a narthecium. Pics below are temp assembled with poster putty. Needs cleanup/flash removal.

gallery_80588_10505_104795.jpggallery_80588_10505_22101.jpg

First update for Augustus' Arena (2nd round). Have the Firedrakes in sub-assemblies: torso & legs, arm & shield, arm & hammer (not the baking soda), and head. Primus Medicae needs to be reprimered - have added his Apothecary most of bits. Shown here with poster putty holding the assemblies together.

(Lesson of Pic 1: When taking pictures of models with a background, make sure the camera focuses on the models, not the background...)

gallery_80588_10505_124852.jpg

gallery_80588_10505_64906.jpg

(Lesson of Pic 3: See Lesson of Pic 1.)

gallery_80588_10505_135135.jpg

(Lesson of Pic 4: You've seen the mold lines on the narthecium twice, Carlson; when're you gonna file 'em?!? Oh, and it just looks like the spot lights on the PM are bent forward; that's just the hunched-forward angle of the torso.)

gallery_80588_10505_72296.jpg

Plan for tomorrow: filing ('bout time!), added primer, and testing some new paints on a waster model.

So, after starting to work on the helmets last night, and comparing to the Pyroclasts I have unassembled downstairs, I think when my next batch of Firedrakes comes in, I'm gonna make a (personal use only) recast of the helmet sprue. Think those helmets will give a distinct Salamanders look to my Tac Marines (at least the non-monopose, snap fit ones) without going all scales and hammers and flames.

Primus Medicae is done (other than basing). Also, in the rush to get them assembled, I missed that the torsos need to be assembled with the helmets - it's a real censored.gif to put it is, with glue, after the torso is finished.

So, after I had a little stream-of-consciousness about bits of him, his fluff just sorta rolled out...

sml_gallery_80588_10505_136861.jpgsml_gallery_80588_10505_12149.jpgsml_gallery_80588_10505_194311.jpgsml_gallery_80588_10505_12116.jpg

The Ballad of M.Edison, Primus Medicae of the XVIIIth Legion

(with apologies to Misters Starkey and McCartney and their mates)

The Inquisitor
Comes to pay a visit ta’
Maxwell in the field
Heresy revealed by the Hunter
Oh oh oh oh
‘Primus Edison
No more Chaos Medicine
You will come with me
No more heresy in this Legion’
Oh oh oh oh
But as he walks to his Chimera
Max creeps up from behind...
(Buh duh dun dun)

BANG! BANG!
Maxwell’s Silver Hammer came down upon his head
(Do-do do-do do-do)
CLANG! CLANG!
Maxwell’s Silver Hammer made sure that he was dead
(Whoa oh oh-whoa!)

Minor update. While I'm loving the wash-on-metal technique (and thank you EdT for the inspiration on that), the dark of Biel-Tan Green isn't right for all applications - figure it'll look great on the FD Master, but the base FDs need something...lighter...richer. Realized I didn't have much left in my current pot of Biel-Tan, so added some clear yellow airbrush paint to the pot. First coat looks like it'll do the job. Will post the results after a couple more coats.

While waiting on the latest wash to dry on my Firedrakes, decided to tackle another project. A while ago, I picked up a Mk I Baal Predator. Guy I got it from included parts for a Mk I Vindicator. An eBay order for a pretty busted up Rhino, and the Vindicator is almost ready for a primer coat. Only problem: the eBay Rhino only had one exhaust pipe with it. Little bit of tube/rod styrene (with another tube to be added tomorrow) and we have...

gallery_80588_10505_183180.jpg

Archived