Deathwing Alpha Strike Viability

Supernaut

Greetings!
I haven't posted on here in pretty much forever (combination of being pseudo-out of the hobby for 4ish years and just being a lurker as general principle), but I thought I'd give it a shot.

I've got a tournament coming up at 2500 points and wanted to get opinions on an idea from people who may have actually played semi-competitively recently (I haven't since 5th... I've got a few games of 7th in, but that's about it). It's nothing new, and I'm sure it's been done (so hopefully, there are informed opinions).

I don't have a list fleshed out yet, but the idea mainly consists of:

- Belial (of course)

- 4-6 squads of Deathwing (still debating merits of more DW vs. more support...leaning toward maximizing)

- one squad of Knights

- a Drop Pod full of Vets with a few combi-weapons and a melta to pop something important early (and probably some close-combat upgrades if I have extra points)

The (somewhat-crazy) idea is for all of the above to Deathwing Assault / Drop Pod Assault on the first turn and attempt to alpha-strike a flank and try to work my way down the line.

(Knights in back as a counter-assault type unit, and the Pod possibly going elsewhere, depending on the greatest threat in need of their presence - as well as giving them a "you have to divert some of your attention here, or else.")

This would still leave me with quite a few points that I intend to mostly put toward a lot of heavy support and a Dark Talon (because it's pretty, and I want to try it out... :D ). The possibility of a couple of Rhino-mounted tacticals exists (depending on how many TDA squads I take).

I don't anticipate doing well at all, hence the silly idea. I've had my fill of competitive gaming in the past (of various types) and mostly just do tournaments as a guaranteed-gaming day. I mostly just think that it would be fun (and possibly funny, depending on opponent reactions). I know there's not a whole lot of "list" to this yet, but I'm mainly looking for discussion if I can get it.

Hopefully, this all made sense.
Any thoughts?

Thanks!

So here a idea, you do not need to have any units on the board turn 1 and there no reserve limit, so big and crazy have a full turn 1 deep strike army and if you go first Yaaa for first turn, and if you go second you don't lose the game unless you have no models on the table at the of your turn....... and what comes in turn 1....... i can vow for this tactics using my 30 terminators+Belial+my imperial knight at 2000 points i was able to beat white scars twice in a row. At the very lest you get to see your opponent its face when its your turn to deploy and you say done without placing a single model smile.png i will say at 2500 flyer support is a must i suggest the Adeptus Astartes Storm Wing Formation which is 2 storm talons and a stormraven and yes you can take this smile.png if you have some Nephilim Jetfighter lying around us them as your storm talons the missile and the avenger mega bolter are the same load out as the storm talons model. Or at the very lest 1 or 2 Nephilim, there not the best flyers not by a long shot but DA have bad AA so we must take what we can get. Let me know what you think Bother Supernaut

Archived