Painting Flesh Tearers

Hey gents, thanks for taking the time.

I'm trying to paint up my Flesh Tearers, and just wanted a few tips from better painters than myself. I've based them black, and then applied a base layer of Khorne Red. From there I was thinking a drybrush of blood red and a few washes of Crimson. Is that going to make them too bright? i'm definitely looking for dark and brutal, not bright.

Thanks again.

I applied a wash of Nuln oil with an air brush. It didn't turn out as desired. Then I painted black. Highlighted red with wazdakka, then cadian flesh. But I fat fingered the cadian flesh, and it looks like garbage.

The method you've described sounds like it would work. The shades darken things quite a lot so I wouldn't worry about it being too bright. You could always add more coats of shade or use one coat of Nuln Oil as well as the Crimson if you want the red darker.

I feel like nuln oil wash over a khorne red base is actually too dark, especially considering the black head and shoulders. It makes my models lose detail, but then I'm also garbage at highlighting. I might do a test marine with wazdakka red with a nuln oil wash instead and post a comparison for anyone interested.

I tried using Corroburg Crimson wash for my Blood Angels and it came out darker and browner than I was expecting so I think it shoudl look pretty good for Flesh Tearers.

Your recipe sounds good to me, try it on a couple of models first to see the finished effect and check you like it before painting whole squads. When I am painting a new scheme, I normally do one model as a prototype and tinker with it until I am happy. Then I use it as the template for the others.

I do a base of Wazadaka Red, a wash of Nuln OIl, Highlight with Ushabi Bone, then two washes with Carib (?) Crimson. You can see some examples in the links in my signature.

Very nice. I can never remember the name of the Crimson shade either. The model I tested out with a base of black, Khorne Red over that, then dry brush khorne red, wash with crimson looks a lot like your flesh tearers, though not nearly as detailed. Really superb job.

I primed black then did base coat of Khorne red. Over that, I did a thinned layer of Mephiston red and did a nuln oil wash, which turned out really good.

The Mephy red does make it brighter at first, but when you do the wash, the model will pop and look great.

I'll try to post a picture tomorrow

The method that gave the best results for me(before using an airbrush) was using a basecoat of vallejo gory red, followed by a light drybrush of a 70/30 mix of bleached bone and gory red. I liked drybrushing since it tends to lighten the overall tone of the red, without making it look pink or orange. Also saves time. If it becomes too bright you can always darken it by using more red.

Since half the armour is black, the red tone needs to serve as a contrast, or the model will look brown and the details will be hard to see.

For me the result looked something like this:

http://i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r788/enteixzy/IMAG0152_zpsohrjfm64.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

med_gallery_39897_5762_1373570.jpg

Mephiston Red Base

Edge highlight with Mephiston Red mixed 1:1 with any fleshtone lighter than Bugmans Glow (Kindleflame drybrush may work as an alt.).

Wash with Carroburg Crimson

Wash with Carroburg Crimson 1:1 with Nuln Oil

Nuln Oil in the deepest recesses.

Jobs a goodun :tu:

Hmm well, working from theory rather than experience, browns are better than grey-scales (black included) when it comes to fiddling with red. I used brown oil wash on a Khornate warlord I made a few months back, and it worked rather well. Anyway, it's the same reason people tend to lighten shades of red by mixing in colors like bleached bone, rather than simply adding white or black. My own reds are done with Dark Flesh, a mix of Blood Red and Dark Flesh, and then pure Blood Red.

The same may apply to using Nuln Oil. A dark brown wash should serve you better. But I haven't played with it, so I can't be certain. Like I said, this is mostly theoretical.

I really should try playing with a different brand some day. GW reds are so fiddly. Blood Red has such a watery, shifty consistency...

Anyway! Browns, not blacks. Probably. teehee.gif

I painted a flesh tearer a couple weeks ago and posted it in the showcase. Sorry I can't put the image because I am on my phone but I will try later. Anywho meph red is too bright. I did the Crimson gw color I think korn red and a wash of carron Crimson ( whatever it's called ) from gw and got great results. Then I used meph red or any bright red would work for highlights working up to a white. Hope this helps.

Oh and brown washes are fine with red but you will get better results with the Crimson or back in the day gw had a regular red wash that was good but I can no longer find it. What I dislike about GW washes and inks in general some dry very glossy and some dull. The dull works really well with armor and some of the gw washes dry that way but you have to try it. The Crimson wash they make does dry a dull shade which is why I like it so much. I will try and post some pics of the flesh tearer and my blood Angels later.

Archived