DA Allies for MT

Ulrik_Ironfist

So I'm searching my collection for good allies for my Militarum Tempestus. I have some Dark Angels that really never get used, because they've proven to rather poop on their own (no really fun stuff in the codex). I figured that they might work well with my Tempestus. 

So here's what I have:

Interrogator Chaplain/Azmodai

Company Master/Azrael

LIbrarian/Ezekiel

TDA Company Master

2 Deathwing Terminator Squads (5 men each) (one gets used as a DW CS)

1 Ravenwing Attack Squad (6 total men)

1 Ravenwing Landspeeder

1 Nephilim Jetfighter

2 Tactical Squads (10 men each PG/PC)

I can borrow vehicles from my Space Wolves Motor Pool, to fill out the lack of armor, but I was wondering if y'all had any suggestions for using this with my MT's.

Militarum Tempestus:

2 Command Squads

1 Commissar

2 10 man Squads (vox 2PG)

2 Taurox Primes

2 Valkyries

I also have a Knight Paladin/Errant that I can use with them as well.

I look forward to hearing your suggestions.

Mt are probably best used to compliment the angels not the other way around. They basically fill the role you would otherwise give to terminators or veterans by placing them in deepstrike as a way of softening up targets for the marines or using them to deter an enemy deepstrike, outflank, or drop pod assault. This is primarily because the space marines do everything they can only better except fly good planes or supply volume of fire.

So really focus on using them to fill the gaps in the angels and to supply things they can't reliably provide.

As they can't cc better than space marines or provide better field armor.

And in reverse I'd focus on using the angels to compliment the tempestus right back being the close combat boots on the ground fighting force the tempestus simply can't manage. it's a mutually supportive situation you need to create

Right, so I was thinking of putting my tac marines in the Tauroxes to move them up, while using DWA to drop the termies in behind. Then using my bikes to get around the flank and hit hard and keep up the pressure. Then the Scions Deepstrike in t2, and wreak havoc on the opponent and tear him up with the Hot shot las and PG. Using orders to really bring the hurt. The valk sqdn comes in and hits the enemy with rocket pods, multilasers, and HB's. All the while the knight is hurling battlecannons downrange. 

This is pretty much the same concept as I was going for with my wolves, only the SW's would be more assault focused, and they have formations that can do DWA, only it requires that they be assault termies. I'm ok with that. I just though that these MT's might help me get some use out of my DA, which I think they will since DA do shooty pretty well, gonna need some more DA models (2nd RW assault Squad  w/LS, a RW CS, and a reqular CS, so I can have 2 groups of termies).

Right, so I was thinking of putting my tac marines in the Tauroxes to move them up, while using DWA to drop the termies in behind. Then using my bikes to get around the flank and hit hard and keep up the pressure. Then the Scions Deepstrike in t2, and wreak havoc on the opponent and tear him up with the Hot shot las and PG. Using orders to really bring the hurt. The valk sqdn comes in and hits the enemy with rocket pods, multilasers, and HB's. All the while the knight is hurling battlecannons downrange.

This is pretty much the same concept as I was going for with my wolves, only the SW's would be more assault focused, and they have formations that can do DWA, only it requires that they be assault termies. I'm ok with that. I just though that these MT's might help me get some use out of my DA, which I think they will since DA do shooty pretty well, gonna need some more DA models (2nd RW assault Squad w/LS, a RW CS, and a reqular CS, so I can have 2 groups of termies).

Imo dark angels could also be used to make your force lightning quick you can just get something anywhere you need it. And use this to just dogpile the enemy.

I'll set a stage for you and see how you like it, your terminators assault from a land raider into a squad of ork meganobz, some nearby bikers or assault marines also charge a squad of basic boys closeby.

After the cc's and on your next turn around four squads of tempestus appear out of nowhere and blast big ugly holes into everything around the cc.

Regardless of if that cc is a victory or not he now has tempestus everywhere his units are beaten up because of them, he still has some assault marines to deal with and his best unit for krumping things and managing the damage to his army has to decide where to go.

It's stacking headaches on top of headaches your enemy won't wether to go blind or break for lunch. Just get everywhere and into everything and give the enemy nothing but bad choices to make

Imo you can make a lot of interesting messes with cc dark angels and deepstrike tempestus

Ok, I actually like that idea, and it can work for SW or DA. I have both, but my DA are really shooting focused (My DA mostly came out of Dark Vengeance sets). I really thought about using DA to provide a hefty base of fire with the banner of devastation (If only it affected HB's), while the tempestus got in behind and hit hard. Your way would work too, I just don't have the right models for it, and I have a chapter that does it better (and over 10k of them). I was planning on using my termies as a shield for the tempestus, to soak up melee threats. 

I'm also trying to think of ways to do it using what I have, so I don't need to buy more models. (I want the Rampart Detachment and Steel Host formations because they would be fun, and add a solid offense to my Tempestus force, but I don't have the funds for that right now...).

Belial and his DW assault could be a great asset to your MT. Guarunteed first turn deepstrike with no scatter, and turn 2 your MT start teleporting in around him to support, ALSO WITHOUT SCATTER! BOOM! Just an idea: say, Belial with a few DW Knights (or some normal DW termies, depending on what you have, but you will want at least a couple TH/SS in there regardless, they need to survive a turn of being shot at). You could put them in the most vulnerable area possible, and since they won't scatter, you don't have to be worried about tight fits! On your opponent's turn, they will likely scatter away from the landing site, providing a nice and big space for your MT to deepstrike in without scatter. A large volley of hot-shot lasguns will soften up whatever the DW Knights are about to charge, or you can have the Knights charge in one direction, and the MT shoot in the other!

That's a brilliant idea. I think I might do that to boost the model count and efficacy of a DWA army. I've already done it to fill in the gaps of an assault army of my wolves (of stuff I rarely use).

Belial and his DW assault could be a great asset to your MT. Guarunteed first turn deepstrike with no scatter, and turn 2 your MT start teleporting in around him to support, ALSO WITHOUT SCATTER! BOOM! Just an idea: say, Belial with a few DW Knights (or some normal DW termies, depending on what you have, but you will want at least a couple TH/SS in there regardless, they need to survive a turn of being shot at). You could put them in the most vulnerable area possible, and since they won't scatter, you don't have to be worried about tight fits! On your opponent's turn, they will likely scatter away from the landing site, providing a nice and big space for your MT to deepstrike in without scatter. A large volley of hot-shot lasguns will soften up whatever the DW Knights are about to charge, or you can have the Knights charge in one direction, and the MT shoot in the other!

Only Locator Beacons (e.g the upgrade you can give Drop Pods) allow for "any" model to Deep Strike within 6" without scatter.

As per the DA and SM codex (and I assume the same for GK, BA and SW) only friendly models comprised of Terminator Armour may use a Teleport Homer to Deep Strike within 6" without scatter.

Granted this idea will still work just use Podded units and give all your Alpha Strike Pods Locator Beacons. That way you can reinforce your Marines from Turn 2 with your Scions. This will also work better as you get your Locator Beacons for what you want to achieve but you don't have to take an over costed Belial.

Also if you know your enemy has Locator Beacons you can give your DA HQ a Porta-Rack. This allows you to use any enemy Locator Beacons as if they were your own.

Wolves don't have teleport homers at all, only locator beacons, because traditionally wolves don't teleport... That's rather silly that a unit that's teleporting can't use teleport homers, but then allies weren't as big a thing in 6th ed when C:DA and C:SM were written...

Indeed. Currently looking at an MT Command squad and a couple of large squads as effective bubble-wrapping / distractions / mid-ranged massed fire support for deep striking DW :)

Sprinkle in a few melta or plasmaguns and an FnP Medic for good measure.

They aren't too special in cc but that's what the DWKs are for right ;)

Cheers

I

Archived