Look Out Sir to models of 'equal' distance.

When an IC takes a wound and makes a LoS roll, it is attempting to allocate the wound to the 'closest model'. What happens if multiple models are placed at 'equal' distance?

A) Does the player who is taking wounds decide who is closest (and then apply that decisions to all wounds taken that shooting phase).

B) Does the shooting player make the decision (and then apply that decision to all wounds taken that shooting phase).

C) Can the player who is taking the wounds decide on a different model for each wound taken, if convenient? Ie. Juggle wounds to different multiwound models or take AP2 shots on the stormshield, etc.

D) Is it random?

If there are two (or more) equidistant models, the owner of the models being targeted gets to choose which model is closest.

Page 35 of the Rulebook:

If two or more models are equidistant from the firing unit, the owning player chooses which model is attacked

When it comes to look out sir, the rulebook states that:

Determine which model in the unit is the closest to the character and allocate the Wound to that model instead

One would assume that the method of determining between equidistant models remains the same, with the owner choosing which is closer.  Though once the closest model has been determined, that model remains closest until it moves or is removed.

From the Allocate Wounds section of the BRB:

Random Allocation

On occasion, it will be impossible to determine which model is closest to an attack for

Wound allocation purposes, usually because the attack doesn’t originate from an enemy

unit, but from a lethal environmental hazard such as man-eating forests or lightning bolts

lancing down from the sky. If you cannot determine the direction of an attack to

work out which model in a unit is closest, or if a special rule refers to Random

Allocation, do the following: randomly determine a model in the unit – that

model is treated as being the closest model to the attack and remains so until

either the attack ends or the model is slain. For the purposes of determining if the

model is obscured, imagine the attack is coming from directly above its unit. If the model

is slain and there are still Wounds left to allocate, simply randomise again if needs be.

If there are two (or more) equidistant models, the owner of the models being targeted gets to choose which model is closest.

Throne, I need to read the rulebook again. Yet another small but very significant difference between 6th and 7th. Makes my life a lot better as I can now position my Neophytes at the same line as my Marines and then choose who eats the nasty stuff vs the armor save stuff. 

Archived