Bike squad

Sanguine_Blood

Hey all. So the grav bike squad is mentioned here a lot, but I was wondering exactly how I should run them. Like, what role, how to move them, etc.

Thinking of starting off and getting a 3 man squad, 2 gravs and a combi grav. But this doesn't account for casualties. And I see the squad as being a fire magnet.

So, do you make it 4, 5, 6 strong? From previous posts I see 5 is 150 points.

For the people who use them, do you keep them behind your troops, dart them on their own along the sides? Reserve them?

Thanks brothers.

It really depends on how you have tailored your list. if you run just one squad. Use them as long range objective takers or high threat hunting. If you have them in abundance *cough cough* flesh tearers strike force *cough cough* you can use them as higher mobility troops forcing your opponent to have to choose which bike squad they want to shoot at.

I don't Like to spam units. So at most I just want 1 squad. But I'm not having a lot of disposable income for 40k so I reqlly need to plan, and agonize over what I want to get when I want to get it.

And my boat is do I run them as a small unit of 3, or a unit of 5. Do I add an attack bike for extra padding.

Would I keep them close to my other units for protection or jet them out front, stuff like that.

If you're going to use them, use them hard. They are a mobile source of grav is very powerful and necessary with some of the nastier things out there. 5 men, and a multimelta bike with max grav is the best. Just keep them out of demo cannon range!

I don't Like to spam units. So at most I just want 1 squad. But I'm not having a lot of disposable income for 40k so I reqlly need to plan, and agonize over what I want to get when I want to get it.

And my boat is do I run them as a small unit of 3, or a unit of 5. Do I add an attack bike for extra padding.

Attack bike is better padding than single bikes unless you face a ton of S8+. You're almost guaranteed to fire that MM at least once. 

How good are the basic bikers?

Would you ever take a full squad, then combat squad putting all the grav and the MMAB in one squad then having all the 'basic' dudes in the other squad? 

I have 2 MMAB but will more than likely run them as a unit, then have a unit of just grav gunners, probably 5, 2 gravs and a combi grav on the Sarge.

How good are the basic bikers?

Would you ever take a full squad, then combat squad putting all the grav and the MMAB in one squad then having all the 'basic' dudes in the other squad? 

I have 2 MMAB but will more than likely run them as a unit, then have a unit of just grav gunners, probably 5, 2 gravs and a combi grav on the Sarge.

In the previous Codex, I was convinced that the best way to run a Bike Squadron was with a full squad, whereby you'd combat squad the specials, Sergeant and Attack Bike into one half and have the regulars in the other. However, with the emergence of grav, this is no longer really feasible.

Five extra bikes weigh in at 105 points. For 163 you can get another three man squad with two grav guns, multi-melta Attack Bike and a combi grav & melta bombs on the Sergeant. This is a far better route to go down as it is more optimal.

In the lists where I only run one squad of bikes, I do buy a couple of extra bikers for security but if I were to spam, then I would keep them small. As for having two Attack Bikes, I will always run one with my Bike Squadron and run the second one separately.

Thanks to everyone for their comments.

Yesterday I picked up a box of 3 bikers that I can't wait to make into grav gunners, just waiting for some bits from my friend.

I already have a couple of attack bikes, so I think what I'll try doing is the 3m bike plus attack bike with MM. That's 158 points.

Archived