Death company squad

Dbourg

I don't like glancing vehicles to death with CC troops since it's a usually a surefire way to maximize return damage from the enemy passengers.

There other vehicles beyond Transports.

For TWC, wraiths and most of the other T5+ targets mentioned I find anything S 10 (with lib dread as my go to guy) to be far more effective than throwing a unit of DC at them. 

A single libby dread is not going to be enough to deal with a wraith/TWC spam army.

There other vehicles beyond Transports.

A single libby dread is not going to be enough to deal with a wraith/TWC spam army.

Let's break it down for vehicles:

Any Rhino hull vehicle is fairly easy to deal with, unfortunately for us. 

Walkers besides knights are pretty rare, and the maul isn't good vs knights.  

The odd land raider can be very annoying if you lack the tools, but you really need melta for it or at least a power fist. 

Necron skimmers are very annoying. The maul can be fairly effective but a fist is much better, specially for the 4 HP ones.

Serpents and lesser eldar skimmers are difficult to catch, not to bash.  

DE and Ork vehicles are made of tissue paper.

I might have forgotten something, but overall I find it very easy to justify the extra cost of a fist. 

The single dread isn't going to take them on by himself, but he's capable of making a serious dent in all of those. He's a relatively small part of your total points, leaving the better part of your army to concentrate on whatever you like.

It's not like the DC and lib dread are mutually exclusive, he's just a more point efficient unit to deal with anything that can be doubled out by high S or insta-gibbed by ID. 

In summary I guess you could say that I dislike the mauls because I'd rather kit my DC out to be good at something rather than mediocre at a lot of things. 

I think the most effective way to run JP DC are 5-7 per unit some with 1 fist and some with none. It gives you a lot of flexibility depending on the matchup, but in general it's quite easy to keep the fist safe with los or cover. If you are running 5 + 5 you can also give the fist unit cover saves.

If you want to go elite heavy the tax on running 2 detachments is very low now so slots are not really a big issue. But there should be more then enough good options in the other slots if you only want to run one.

Having big DC squads with IC's can be really nice, but it's much easier for the opponent to counterplay this type of unit either with shooting or movement. Last game i ran 3x7 with 1 fist in each, going against an assault heavy opponent it was really nice having multiple DC units clustered, a lot of redunancy for getting charges off. 

I don't think there is a single "best" loadout because it depends what role you want you DC to perform. I have a couple of Inferno pistols in mine as I do not have any long-ranged AT weapons so I put inferno pistols in my jump pack squads to pop transports before I assault the contents.

If you are running multiple DC then one hammer or fist is probably sufficient but I would always include at least one in case you need to tackle MCs Dreadnoughts.

Archived