Legiones Astartes II Lion Knights

animal310

Hello all

I discovered Athrawes 2nd legion on here a few days ago and its nice to see that it’s got a favourable reception. Having become tired at the usual ‘theories’ trotted out for the missing legions (Sigmar, Legion of the Dammed, killed at birth etc) I’ve also been working on my own second Legion for some time (since 2012) and have posted some of what I’ve got so far. Please let me know what you think. Good and bad feedback appreciated. The artwork and model painting is not by myself but by the hugely talented Slaine69 and Lil Legend respectively.

Thanks

Numeration: The IInd Legion

Primogenitor: Xerxes

Cognomen: None

Observed Strategic Tendencies:

High Tech Warfare, Fire and Movement, Rapid Variable Tactical Response, Heavy Calibre Infantry Weapon Use, Co-ordinated Attack Tactics.

Allegiance: Traitoris Primitus

For over one hundred and fifty years the warriors of the Lion Knights Legion fought with devotion, expertise and cunning for the Emperor of Mankind; or so it seemed at the time. It was only when the true horror of this most proficient of Legions was discovered, that it was realised by the upper echelons of the Imperium that under the command of its Primarch Xerxes, the 2nd Legion had been working to his own evil agenda for the majority of its existence.

The subsequent events would pit father against son and brother against brother, a shocking portent of what was to come some five decades later. A disaster that was hidden from the wider Imperium, one that happened without the taint of chaos. 

Xerxes 5

Xerxes 1

Xerxes 2

Xerxes 3

Xerxes 4

Lion Knights 2nd Legion

Lion Knights and Erebus

lion knight

Lion Knights

Lion Knights Rhino 2

Lion Knights Rhino 1

The IInd Legion was built to expand the Imperium quickly through shock and awe. Unlike their brothers in the XVIth Legion who used a spearhead to cut off the head of an enemy, the IInd preferred coordinated attacks on multiple fronts. These rapid synchronised strikes invariably caused an enemy maximum confusion and disarray within its ranks. It was difficult for any opponent of the second Legion to put up a concentrated defence when they were being attacked on all fronts at once.

With the best defences destroyed and the remaining forces left reeling in their wake, the The Lion Knights would move on to the next fight. The shattered remains of the enemy left to the Imperialis Auxilia to tidy up. 

Interesting take. And with pictures and painted models, that puts you a couple of levels ahead of other efforts.

My only nitpick is the name. Lions is good, but Knights are saturating the setting. I would suggest something else, perhaps paladins. Still, that's just my opinion.

Looking forward to the lore you'll create.

Thanks for the nice comments so far. I have a little update today.

The IInd Legion was built to expand the Imperium quickly through shock and awe. Unlike their brothers in the XVIth Legion who used a spearhead to cut off the head of an enemy, the IInd preferred coordinated attacks on multiple fronts. These rapid synchronised strikes invariably caused an enemy maximum confusion and disarray within its ranks. It was difficult for any opponent of the second Legion to put up a concentrated defence when they were being attacked on all fronts at once.

With the best defences destroyed and the remaining forces left reeling in their wake, the The Lion Knights would move on to the next fight. The shattered remains of the enemy left to the Imperialis Auxilia to tidy up. 

As I already said: I like the theme and colorscheme of the army but I think simison is right. ( And not only because we share a wardens band ) and especially with your attack scheme how about "lions roar". An infuriating force which strikes fear into the hearts of the enemy? Knights are so...Honorful and to me, it doesn't really fit. But okay you spent a lot if time and thought in your theme. Maybe you are right. But consider the options :)

Interesting take. And with pictures and painted models, that puts you a couple of levels ahead of other efforts.

My only nitpick is the name. Lions is good, but Knights are saturating the setting. I would suggest something else, perhaps paladins. Still, that's just my opinion.

Looking forward to the lore you'll create.

As I already said: I like the theme and colorscheme of the army but I think simison is right. ( And not only because we share a wardens band ) and especially with your attack scheme how about "lions roar". An infuriating force which strikes fear into the hearts of the enemy? Knights are so...Honorful and to me, it doesn't really fit. But okay you spent a lot if time and thought in your theme. Maybe you are right. But consider the options smile.png

I do appreciate the feedback however I’m going to stick with knights. As far as too much crossover is concerned, well I did think long and hard about the name and wanted something that fitted. If you look at a list of the Legion names then knights does not come up. I feel that Lion Knights rolls of the tongue and actually fits their theme very well (and there's a lot more of that to come).

Yes the Dark Angels obviously have a heavy knight connotation but my Lion Knights are a very different kettle of fish completely. I’ll be putting out more on their backstory but essentially they’re a fallacy. They put one thing across on the outside but are actually rotten underneath, evil knights if you like.

There would be more crossover in 40k as you have the Black Templers and many others but in 30k I personally feel there is room. There is also some crossover in the others Legions, al la Iron Warriors, Iron Hands, Space Wolves, Luna Wolves etc.

I have tried to inject originality into the Legion, and hopefully you will see that as I post more stuff going forward concerning their fall, home world Primarch etc.

Ultimately it’s not going to be everybody’s cup of tea but it’s something I enjoy putting together and thought I may as well stick it out there. I do appreciate the feedback however and welcome all comments. smile.png

Cheers

• 3 months later...

A little update. Another picture to follow. 

A mere twenty years into the Great Crusade, Xerxes was discovered on the planet Constan, seemingly a place of order and beauty. Across its continents were expansive well-structured cities, rolling plains, idyllic forests and stunning mountains. The people were industrious and inventive enjoying a balanced economy with a high standard of living. The world was close to a paradise but it was one with a dark and foul shame.  

Xerxes’s capsule had arrived in the midst of a century old civil war between the planets ‘standard’ human population and the abhuman subspecies that shared the world. Xerxes was found by a cruel abhuman warlord named Orgarth, someone who was in no way representative of his people. Orgarth had been traumatised by the war and had seen his family killed. He led a splinter band of guerrilla soldiers and only continued to be tolerated because of his fanatical zeal for the cause. His mind and sole were a long time lost when he stumbled on the infant Xerxes. Not recognising him for what he was Orgarth saw Xerxes as some kind of mutant child of the enemy and kept him as a trophy. Orgarth had been left as a hateful man and although no records survive there is no doubt that Xerxes was brutalised by Orgarth.

Sometime later, during the confusion of an attack, Xerxes escaped his prison, decapitated Orgarth and killed over two hundred of his men. The juvenile Xerxes stood alone amongst a pile of corpses as the army of the Soladarious entered Orgarths encampment.

Within a few years Xerxes had led the Soladarious to absolute and total victory. They viewed their opponents as degenerates who were responsible for the war and the resulting decades of pain and misery that had occurred since its beginning. The truth was that the blame was equal but that did not prevent the hate between them being absolute. No mercy was shown.

An entire population was enslaved and exiled to the barren northern continent Nerok. Nerok became a huge prison island constructed of slave factories and confinement camps. Rumours of horrific experiments, deals with Xenos and other horrors were whispered amongst those in the know.

As the years past the rest of the planet healed and Nerok became a dirty little secret, rarely spoken off and never officially acknowledged.

It was into this dualism of heaven and hell that The Emperor of Mankind arrived, along with his two sons, Horus and Russ…… 

• 1 month later...

Archived