Mutilators: A discussion and Analysis

So I'm continuing my series of more detailed looks into the less used units in the Chaos Space Marines codex. I've already done looks at the Forge Fiend, Thousand Sons, Khorne Berzerkers, and HelBrute. Now I want to talk about those red-headed step-brothers to the Obliterators, the Mutilators!

Okay, so let's talk Mutis.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/IMG_0614_zpswwdj5u3n.png

Well.. let's do this.

So a Mutilator is a Bulky, Daemon model that can deep strike, is slow and purposeful, and only has a pair of Close combat weapons (more on this in a minute). It does have Flesh Metal so it gets a 2+ save while it's daemon special rule gives it a 5+ invulnerable save. It gets 2 attacks base, has 2 wounds, and hits pretty much like any other Space Marine with a WS4.  It is Leadership 8 but can get a boost to 9 for 4 points a model. They cost 55 points each, start in squads of 1 and can be upped to a squad of 3. 

The only real point of special note about the Mutilators is their Mutilator Weapons special rule. Basically each fight sub phase all the Mutilators in a given group must elect to use a pair of Power Swords, Chain Fists, Power Axes, Power Mauls, or Lighting claws. They have to select a different option each phase from what they used the previous phase.

It's only options, besides squad size, is marks. So... let's talk about those.

Mark of Khorne for 5 points each: Okay, it gets rage and Counter attack. So on the charge it gets 5 attacks (2 base + 2 for Charging with Rage +1 for 2 Close combat weapons)

Mark of Nurgle for 6 points each: Okay, now you have T5, Slow and purposeful Mutilators. Yeah...? I mean yeah T5, 2W with a 2+/5++ is nothing to sneeze at but I'll get more into my thoughts on this point later.

Mark of Tzeentch for 8 points each: Eh... okay so now it's got a 2+/4++. Okay not bad here. The 8 point cost seems about right, but adding it to the 55 base points means you've got a 63 points 2w T5 blender. Eh... yeah for 60+ points I want it to do more then what it does.

Mark of Slaanesh for 6 Points each: Eh... it gets +1 Initiative. Eh... yeah.  3 points each I think would make this more viable of an option. But not 6. 

Okay, so we have a dedicated Close Combat unit that maxes out at 6 wounds (You know unless you stick an independent character with them), can put out a maximum of 15 attacks, always has power weapons of some sort but varies between being a Sx2 + 2D6 armor pen and just being an AP3, that can't sweeping advance that is gonna be 165 points.

Er...

Okay so let me start my thoughts on Mutilators by saying that they seem like what I would describe as a "Good idea in a first person styled video game".  Remember in Doom 3 where you got trapped in that room and you had to fight Sabaoth? It was just you, trapped in a room, with this giant monster. Or in Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, when you fought Senator Armstrong? It was just you and that monster of a... whatever the hell he was, stuck in that pit that the Excelsus . Those are the places I think a monster like a Mutilator is most thematic and thus where the idea itself for the mutilator originated. Just this massive, hulking monster, that completely outclasses the player character in every offensive way leaving you to rely on your speed to defeat them.

But 40k isn't a first person/third person action game. It's a tactical strategy game. And I think this is what hurts the Mutilator more then any other fact. What are Mutilators good at? Attacking a medium-survivable unit in an enclosed space where they can't run away. What do you very rarely see in 40k? An enclosed space that isn't affected by other elements in the army.

End thoughts: The idea of the Mutilator really should have stayed on the drawing board as far as 40k went. Perhaps as an idea for Death Watch or the other 40k RPGs, as a mid-level boss fight in a video game? Oh hell yeah. That sounds awesome. But in a game, where 6 wound units are basically just this side of nothing, it's extremely unlikely that you'll ever be able to pin a unit in such a way that they just can not run away, and being unable to start the game in a good delivery option... it's just too many strikes against the Mutilator to make it viable in my mind.

What about all of you? Thoughts on using Mutilators in your armies? Have a different appraisal of them? Think there is a viable way to use them? Let's hear it.

They can start in land raiders and IA stuff, but to be honest they seem worse than terminators, and terminators aren't in a great spot these days. I have considered running them alongside a khorne terminator lord (or two) to maximize the punch in a single raider.

I mean, I suppose in a regular land raider I could see them replacing termies as an HQ retinue, since 6 wounds is more than the 4 you'd get from termies....

But you should never take termies as a retinue in a regular land raider to begin with, so... yeah.

I used to see single MoN muts as suicide deep strike distractions, but not so much anymore.

If Mutilators came out a before multiple detachments and Unbound was an official thing, then they would have been more attractive since they don't share an FOC slot with Obliterators. But these days, I can't see taking Mutilators over Obliterators (or much else, really.) Oblits are stuck with powerfists, but they have much more useful ranged ability and are otherwise the exact same thing.

The only thing I could really think of to do with Mutilators was to use them as a bodyguard for a beatstick and put everyone in a Land Raider. But every time I plan an LRR list, I never get past the "idly musing" stage when it comes to Mutilators.

I have been messing with a deepstrike overload list and have found Muties very useful with a Terminator Sorcerer.  They take a lot of focus away from the other elements... If left unmolested they do a lot of damage and seriously worry any ground based unit with an Armour value.  Strategically forcing my opponent to react, which I find has great value. 

Its a shame they are not available in bigger units.  I would love to try 10 of them in a Landraider Spartan.

I use mine as a retinue for my lord, although this is for fluff based reasons. I'm not keen on their models but as posted above they are great if they can see combat ruleswise. I run mine with the mark of khorne - i can see a use for nurgle and slaanesh too but the tzeentch one to me is too little a benefit.

I still put 2 single Mutilators in quite some lists. There are far, far worse units in the CSM codex. Mutilators are viewed upon as complete garbage by most people, but I find them one of the more usable units we have. Only as single model though, deepstriking 95% of the time, putting more than 1 in a squad makes them suddenly a terrible unit lol

Turn 3 charge at best, though. Doesn't anything they could threaten just skate away from them when they come down?

They could yes, but that translates into board control. Slow units have actual issues getting away, or static fire support in a corner.

They can start in land raiders and IA stuff, but to be honest they seem worse than terminators, and terminators aren't in a great spot these days. I have considered running them alongside a khorne terminator lord (or two) to maximize the punch in a single raider.

How can mutis start in a transport of any kind? They can't take a dedicated transport so you would have to purchase the transport separately, then spend the first turn loading them into it.

I keep thinking that having one or two would be good for Board control reasons as Zhukov says, but I always run out of points from all the other units I want to include before I can put mutilators in. tongue.png

Edit: Maverick - they can start in non-dedicated transports. Just buy a Heavy support land raider.

I keep thinking that having one or two would be good for Board control reasons as Zhukov says, but I always run out of points from all the other units I want to include before I can put mutilators in. :P

Edit: Maverick - they can start in non-dedicated transports. Just buy a Heavy support land raider.

... I thought only units that had purchased a dedicated transport can actually start the game in it.

Can anyone who uses them this way give an analysis of Mutilators vs Termicide specifically?

Well I use (or well, used, as I don't use Termicide anymore) both:

Termicide is more expensive and is required to do damage with their combi-weapons the turn they come in. You take them for the specific reason to cause damage with shooting, by deepstriking.

Mutilators are cheaper and I don't expect them to do damage. I expect them to threaten a certain part of the board or to force a reaction.

I personally don't use termicide simply because I take single Obliterators already, which can do the job of Termicide if the game calls for it. If you do run termicide but you also like the role which Mutilators fulfill: Just include a single chainfist for the unit.

I keep thinking that having one or two would be good for Board control reasons as Zhukov says, but I always run out of points from all the other units I want to include before I can put mutilators in. tongue.png

... I thought only units that had purchased a dedicated transport can actually start the game in it.

Yes, but if you purchase a vehicle on its own, and it has transport capacity, you can have it start with whatever units fit in there. So a Land Raider purchased as a Dedicated Transport for Terminators can only have them(and any attached ICs) start in there, but a Land Raider purchased as a Heavy Support option can have mutilators, chosen, or even cultists start in it.

The same concept works for IA13 Chaos Dreadclaws and Space Marine Storm Ravens. (Or even the drop pods from the new BA and SW dexes, as they are now listed as FA in addition to being dedicated transports)

I imagine their usefullness would be very different in games of Zone Mortalis where ranges are much shorter.

As someone who plays around a third of his games on a ZM board, I have been giving these guys some serious thought.

Though I still call them 'Molesters'. Fells more fitting, since they are only really useful against victims who can't fight back. tongue.png

I just don't understand what they are supposed to fight? They are expensive, low number of attacks with average WS and few in numbers, so easy to tarpit with cheap stuff, and their T and save means they go squish really quickly if you happen to get them in a fight with a monster or something with powerfists (sure, MoN can help against fists, but MCs and Dreads still kill them fast).

I dunno, they only seem good against Tactical marines with a non-pf sgt, but on the other hand they will have a hard time reaching such a unit. And it's not like I couldn't just bring a Heldrake and kill that unit much faster and more reliably, and cheaper, than trying to get some molesters into contact with them.

A silly unit all in all.

i agree with the above comments, a strange unit that im uncertain how to use effectively plus there are other units i would much rather use to be honest that are more effective.

A termie Sorcerer makes a great independent character to partner the Mutilators up with.  I arm him with the burning brand and biomancy (but I am tempted to try the eye of night).  The possible combination of cursed earth and Tzeentch mutilators for a 3+ invun save is pretty unpleasant too.

The sorcerer can blast away with the brand and mind bullets, buffing the squad with the right rolls. They can be a real pain to kill, but are too potentially damaging to ignore.  

They also have quite a small foot print compared to some other Deepstriking units (I tend to treat them quite recklessly) so I aim for small gaps and am happy to run the slightly reduced risk of a mishap.

When I first saw this in the chaos book I thought....ok so its a bit underpowered for what it does and what they want it to do but I had high hopes for it to at least be a decent model. And then I saw it was just a spikier version of a Oblit. Complete and utter turn off. At best they should have made this an option under the Oblits entry.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never tried it since they can't shoot when they come in, but I see your point about forcing reaction.

Can anyone who uses them this way give an analysis of Mutilators vs Termicide specifically?

I used to run termies with my termie sorc. When I switched to muts, they seemed to go better as a deep strike unit. They did improve the servivability of my Sorc (this was my warlord)

Archived