Reserve manipulation options

Karhedron

My current army lists involve a Storm Raven with Cassor and some Scouts aboard. A recent game has made me painfully aware that having 400 points of my army off the board (and not guaranteed to arrive until Turn 4) might be a hindrance.

I am trying to consider the cheapest way to get some reserve manipulation into my army. Dante is too expensive (1500-1750 points). A fortification with comms relay is cheaper but my current army list is designed to advance on the enemy with drop pods, jump pack units and the Raven. A fortification would need at least a 5-man squad to man it which increases the cost.

Can anyone think of any other ideas for a cheap reserve reroll?

Give your Warlord the Veritas Vitae and roll 4 times for the 're-roll reserves' strategic trait. That gives you a pretty good chance of getting it. This is by far the cheapest way for us to get reserves manipulation. 

Personally I think you are trying to use reserve manipulation to 'bandage' a bad play. I'd just drop Cassor and then you're less 'all-in' on the Raven with scouts. If you need a second troop choice, take 5 more scouts.

You could also bring Dante - he lets you reroll for jump troops, skimmers, and fliers. Even more expensive, though.

Another option is to take an aegis line with a comms relay. You can (usually) place the aegis anywhere on your table half, and there's no restriction about where the comms can be (and no rules that say it can even be destroyed), so you don't have to set up a gunline to make use of an aegis line.

I've used the damocles myself - it's a nice buff without being overpowered enough that your opponent (or TO) won't let you use it.

Give your Warlord the Veritas Vitae and roll 4 times for the 're-roll reserves' strategic trait. That gives you a pretty good chance of getting it. This is by far the cheapest way for us to get reserves manipulation.

Personally I think you are trying to use reserve manipulation to 'bandage' a bad play. I'd just drop Cassor and then you're less 'all-in' on the Raven with scouts. If you need a second troop choice, take 5 more scouts.

Wouldn't you have to use the cad for that to work? And would it work with both rolls? For the 4 rerolls

I am planning to run BSF so I don't think I can reroll my Warlord Trait on the strategic table. Also I I think I can only reroll the VV trait if it duplicates my original trait.

Wouldn't you have to use the cad for that to work? And would it work with both rolls? For the 4 rerolls

Yea, you would need to run a CAD for the re-roll on the Strategic table to work, and I don't see why you wouldn't get to re-roll the Veritas Vitae's second trait if you are taking a CAD. 

The Veritas Vitae's rules don't specify that it overrides the Command Benefit present in the CAD. It simply insinuates that if you get to re-roll your second trait if you roll a duplicate. 

I would imagine this works similar to Tigurius and spell selection. He gets to re-roll his choice of spells, but duplicate 're-rolls' don't count in terms of the 'no re-roll may be re-rolled' rule.

Well my Priest has the VV so by that reasoning a 4/6 chance is not bad. Maybe I will run it for a few games and see how it works out.

Still prefer BSF to CAD though which is annoying. I suppose BSF gives me a 1/3 chance of DoA (although the other BA warlord traits are pretty naff). If that fails I still have a1/6 chance of getting a reroll on the strategic table. I think this gives marginally better odds than 2 rolls without a reroll on the strategic table.

Hmmmm......

If you're allowing Forgeworld, there's the Damocles Command Tank and Land Raider Promethius.

Alternatively, there's Captain Karlaen.

Damocles Command Tank guide

Land Raider Promethius guide

As for Captain Karlaen, you can re-roll any reserve roll.

does his ability work if he is off the board? i.e. can i re-roll his reserve roll if DS'ing; and if he fails can i re-roll subsequent ones?

Skysheild with ready for take off, cheap and now you 400 point unit is on the board and 4++ to cover it if you don't go first

Very true. Only downside is I cannot zoom on turn 1 so I will have to take 1 or 2 turns of normal fire before I can get the safety of zooming.

There is no perfect solution, just multiple options with the more reliable ones costing more points. :(

Why can't I buy a portable comms relay for 20 points? wallbash.gif

So I've be trying to find something similar and came across some very nice wording. 

In the stronhold assault book, the battlefield debris states that they can be bought as part of a fortification that has that option or separately.   Therefore I have been using the comms relay on its own (20pts) and having a vindicator/pred or something similar who would usually be aiming for midfield staying back until turn 2 after reserves are rolled.  Just a thought.

Archived