You guys seen the new Xiphon?

Ishagu

IMO you're basically paying the points to guarantee a dead enemy flyer/ medium tank the turn it comes in. After that if it survives a round of retaliation then you will probably kill or maim  (....or BURN HERESY) another armoured target.

It's only slightly over costed, I think just having an extra HP would justify it's cost!

One cool thing about it is the range though, it can work from 48" away, pretty good!

I do like the look of,the new kit and its weapons definitly scream interceptor, something the dark Angels nephilims was lacking. It's rules are a bit pricy but it is a fighter that is immune to melta rules but I don't know much melta weapons that aim for the sky's. That being said I have to nephilims thst i was unable to get rid off so I could see converting them up to be a xiphon fill in. Always liked the idea of an interceptor being raised by air force parents and serving in the Air Force myself. Just was always a little disappointed that the interceptors other than this new xiphon felt more like ground support than true interceptors.

I think the point of this flyer is in the name really, while the Storm Talon and Ravens are Gunships the Xiphon is an Interceptor.

It's armaments and abilities are suited to it turning up and making sure your enemy's flyer goes down, after the primary target you might get a second but that isn't it's job, it's already intercepted that.

Whereas the other guys are gun ships, mobile gun platforms that keep the dakka coming and can take a bit in return.

When you think of it like that it's a little easier to see why you can't compare them as much.

It is still over costed though, but I can see why with its job in mind. Want that Helldrake dead? Xiphon it.

The 30k version has a Strafing Run equivalent, the 40k one does not.

Hard to justify it when it has worse shooting than its equivelent flyers for more points...

Depends on your definition of "worse".

• A Stormraven commonly rocks a TLAC, TLMM and HB in addition to it's missiles. The Stormraven is a general purpose unit that can do most things well, but its shots rely on dakka and it is very limp when the missiles go.
  • A Fireraptor is our out and out gunship but, it is better suited to killing troops and/or light vehicles.
  • The Stormeagle is a transport that can shoot. It is mainly anti-personnel and in this edition, one should never purchase the missile upgrades (they are Ordnance)
  • The Stormtalon (which we can use via two dataslates or Allies) is anti-personnel and possibly anti-MC.

Here is something I posted in a different thread:

To be honest, the Xiphon isn't really comparable to a Stormtalon or a Stormraven as they have different rolls. To me, the Xiphon is the Imperial version of a Crimson Hunter. For 55 points more it trades better armour for one less HP and despite firing the same number of shots, it has better weaponry. It is also more durable with its Jink bonus. Personally, I feel it should be played in the same manner - i.e. you use it to obliterate a target and if it survives, then it's a bonus and you can annihilate something else.

The Xiphon is a pure out and out Flyer/Skimmer/Vehicle killer which we don't have.

If we use it, it should be used to kill the enemy Flyer/Vehicle as that is its preferred matchup and (with the exception of blowing your load early with the Stormraven) this is the best flyer to do that.

It's definitely a shiny choice, but for the lack of transport/Assault Vehicle, I think the Stormtalon just offers more flexibility.  BA are generally an assault army, and while the dedicated anti-armor/flyer option is hot, you just get more bang for the buck with the ST.  It's sad that the ST is such a suspect model, appearance wise, because it really is a prime choice for BA players.

It's definitely a shiny choice, but for the lack of transport/Assault Vehicle, I think the Stormtalon just offers more flexibility.  BA are generally an assault army, and while the dedicated anti-armor/flyer option is hot, you just get more bang for the buck with the ST.  It's sad that the ST is such a suspect model, appearance wise, because it really is a prime choice for BA players.

*coughs*

*points at signature*

Archived