The Harvest (Khorne Daemonkin) test models

Hey guys!

Trying out the new Khorne Daemonkin book and considering painting The Harvest warband, so I figured I'd paint up a couple of quick test models to see how their tabletop standard might look.

Here's the WIPs pre-basing and obviously needing a few fix-ups.

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag111/Steampunk_Skirmisher/Chaos%20Space%20Marines/IMG_0122_zps01yjaskk.jpg

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag111/Steampunk_Skirmisher/Chaos%20Space%20Marines/IMG_0123_zpsj24imngm.jpg

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag111/Steampunk_Skirmisher/Chaos%20Space%20Marines/IMG_0124_zpsq7f5mnlr.jpg

For tabletop standard, you're fine.  The wash is a bit messy on the marine, though.  It works fine on the demon, but that's because flesh is better suited to the stuff than the smooth shape of power armor.

I'm not entirely sure what's going on with the bone trim.  Like you said, it needs some cleaning up, but in general it seems like perhaps the highlights are really messy, or maybe you aren't thinning the paints enough, or using a better under coat...I'm really not sure what exactly lead to where it is now.  I'm not even sure it's bone, because it looks metallic in some places, but that may just be a trick of the camera.

Anyway, if you tell me your process step by step, I may be able to show you some good shortcuts or simple tricks for a more polished result. :)

I haven't really made much in the way of highlights yet. I didn't thin much at all for these tests, I'm just trying to figure out if I like the scheme before I commit--I know that I should thin paints and go do multiple coats but this was meant to be a rush job. So far I like it, and I can roughly freehand the warband symbol (went back after this was taken and cleaned it up).

The horns ARE brass except for the topmost spots (from the rivets up) but I think I'm just going to re-paint that totally brass. 

Current rough process:

1. spray prime black
  2. paint armor plates chainsword housing with khorne red
  3. paint trim with bleached bone
  4. paint gun, backpack fins, chainsword teeth/hand-guard, and armor cords with Leadbelcher
  5. paint horns, gun-trim, chainsword exhaust with shining gold
  6. DEVLAN MUD!
  7. paint snot green eyepieces
  8. pick out spots to lighten with khorne red/bleached bone

I wasn't referring to the horns when I said "bone," but rather the trimmings and such.  Anyway, I thought that might be the case.  Jumping straight to Bleached Bone on a black or red undercoat will yield pretty messy results.  Best to at the very least put down a brown base coat, for a better finish.  Normally I'd recommend several, from dark to light, but it seems like you're looking for speed (or at least you were here).  The point is, GW paints are designed to have a certain level of translucency (not technically the right word, but whatever) meaning that the paint underneath will considerably effect the paint on the surface.  If you want Bleached Bone to look like Bleached Bone when its undercoat is black, you'll have to pour it on until its way too thick to look good.  However, a thin layer of Bubonic Brown, another of Graveyard Earth or Khaki, and then a thin layer of bone will look much smoother and vivid.

I would go back and repaint the armor with the basecoat of red (leaving the wash visible in the recesses, of course).  It's really just hosed down in wash on some spots where it pooled, like his feet.  But doing this, you may notice the same issue with translucency. GW reds are super thin (unless you're using a Foundation, in which case you have to worry about it being too thick), and struggle on darker surfaces.  Some of those pools of wash are dark enough that it may take several thin coats to 'erase' them with the original red.

Archived