Area of Effect and Passengers in Transports

I haven't run into this personally, but I've seen it on a few different batreps. Can an area of effect ability (such as re-rolling moral tests by a banner) be used on models/units inside a transport? From what I understand the wording for these rules usually goes "a model/unit within 12" gains X benefit", however the models and unit aren't on the table, just their transport is. So would they still get the benefit even though they aren't on the table?

Be specific about what you're asking for. models in transports dont take ld tests so just ask what you really want to.

Usually they can emit an area of effect, but i dont know of any occasions where a unit is affected by something while its still inside.

Yes, it's part of the Vehicles > Transports > Embarking rules.

"If the players need to measure a range involving the emabarked unit (except for its shooting), this range is measured to or from the vehicle's hull."

Note that this does not apply to Shooting Attacks. That's a whole different barrel of fish.

"If the players need to measure a range involving the emabarked unit (except for its shooting), this range is measured to or from the vehicle's hull."

Note that this does not apply to Shooting Attacks. That's a whole different barrel of fish.

Ok, it's just a little confusing because rules call for the unit to be within range even though they're not on the table.

Be specific about what you're asking for. models in transports dont take ld tests so just ask what you really want to.

Usually they can emit an area of effect, but i dont know of any occasions where a unit is affected by something while its still inside.

As far as something specific, lets say a Rhino gets shaken and the Marines inside need to take a LD test or Snap Fire but since the Company/Chapter Banner is in range, they can re-roll it even though they're not on the table. Another scenario is a Dark Eldar Pain Engine granting +1FnP bubble to a unit inside of a Raider getting hit by Flamers.

Ok, it's just a little confusing because rules call for the unit to be within range even though they're not on the table.

Unit? Or model. A unit can be on the table, while the models are not, due to being Embarked.

As far as something specific, lets say a Rhino gets shaken and the Marines inside need to take a LD test or Snap Fire but since the Company/Chapter Banner is in range, they can re-roll it even though they're not on the table. Another scenario is a Dark Eldar Pain Engine granting +1FnP bubble to a unit inside of a Raider getting hit by Flamers.

Another example is the BS buff for Necrons near the Triarch Stalker.

Consensus on this, when it has been brought up, is the rule above.

Unit? Or model. A unit can be on the table, while the models are not, due to being Embarked.

Another example is the BS buff for Necrons near the Triarch Stalker.

Consensus on this, when it has been brought up, is the rule above.

Ok, guess I haven't read the rules carefully enough. Thanks.

Archived