How do warbands acquire titans?

Pretty much what it says on the tin: what ways and means are there for a chaos warband to acquire a mighty titan?

I ask this because I am considering the idea of one day buying a forgeworld titan to battle alongside my nurgle marines. But I am unsure fluff wise how to tie the two together. So any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

I'd like to say eBay or Forgeworld like the rest of us? :lol:

In seriousness, there were obviously a number of Traitor Titan Legions - it's a bit more difficult with say one or whatever, but I see no reason why they may not be 'loaned' or 'hired', or indeed follow a warband/Legion as appropriate. My Death Guard naturally work closely with the Legio Mortis as they have done for thousands of years - there'll inevitably be other Titan crews and Titans who have lost the remainder of their packs, who may need to latch onto something, and so duly join a warband.

I do like ACC's suggestion though, a post-battle 'conversion' so to speak. Many crews succumb to the lures of Chaos, so to replace them with a daemon or whatever isn't implausible. The Dark Mechanicus can make it so! 

There are actually many ways of aquiring these metal avatars of destruction here are some ideas of course these are just ideas.

If your warband is / or was part of the main legions then they still might have ties towards one of the traitor Titan legions through the many battles that occurred during or before the horus heresy. If so then calling on these old ties a titan may fight alongside your warband to carry along with the long war.

Like the dark mechanicius Titans are a seperate entity compared to chaos marines, they may have their own agenda or demand payment for their services. Fighting alongside your warband could help the Titans fulfil their goals or they could just be hiring themselves out for slaves or something evil. Daemon possessed one could be the same provided you worship the same God the Damon is aligned to as well as feeding it the souls of the slain helps keep them your ally (slaving it to your service works as well but beware if it ever breaks from your control).

In the eye of terror everything is a prize that followers of chaos are forced to bitterly fight each other to claim. Your warband could of defeated another warband claiming their prized Titan as a spoil of war.

Capture and corrupt: Simply capturing an imperial Titan and corrupting it to chaos works as well (though capturing one intact is tricky) just bolt a chaos icon or two and instant chaos Titan. Seriously though either corrupting the crew to chaos or killing the crew and binding a daemon into it is the best bet.

Yeah after all your model so paint it what ever you want. Maybe even leave certain elements painted as its loyalist scheme if you feel like it to show it was once a loyalist . Most warbands would want to leave their mark upon it through trophies or repainting certain parts or all of their new Titan to show ownership though unsure if chaos forces would actually have access to large amounts of paint (fluff wise at least )

Lots of ways.

There will be Titans in the eye, under their own initiative or under thrall of other warbands, forgeworlds or otherwise.

Warbands can fight, buy, bargain and generally do stuff to get them. Titans, like the Dark Mechanicum, are probably fairly independent and offer their services to whoever comes along, if the price is right. Obviously your warband should have sufficient power to actually...run a Titan. Ships, ammo and infrastructure etc. The Titan's owners may provide this also.

On how they get hold of a loyalist titan you could have a sorceror of your warband trick the titans crew through sorcery into joining them. Until the aftermath when the titans crew realise what they have done the sorceror forces them to killl themselves. You could even have your warbands warpsmiths and sorcerors create a warp based virus that infects the titan and turns the crew to chaos

Some warbands, like those of Huron and Abaddon for instance, have conquered several worlds and rule over small empires. It seems conceivable that they could also just outright manufacture their own titans. It may be easier to contract that type of colossal undertaking out to the Dark Mechanicus, than do it on their own, but if some warbands have the ability they may just do it themselves.

Cheers for the input once again guys.

Well it would be serving a nurgle warband if I was to get one so I like the virus idea.

Maybe the sorcerer and the warp smith work together to bound the essence of a great unclean one to the titan, enslaving the daemon and therefore the titan into doing the warbands bidding? How about summin like that?

Hmmm zombie plague.....

Ok how about something similar to dawn of war winter assault?

There is an abandoned titan, damaged and irreparable from a long forgotten battle millennia ago. The nurgle warband locates this titan and "raises the titan from the dead" through use of nurgle sorcery?

Hmmm zombie plague.....

There is an abandoned titan, damaged and irreparable from a long forgotten battle millennia ago. The nurgle warband locates this titan and "raises the titan from the dead" through use of nurgle sorcery?

That sounds awesome.

unsure if chaos forces would actually have access to large amounts of paint (fluff wise at least )

Who says it has to be paint, dried blood leaves a wonderfully crimson coloring.  Anyway, a plague titan sounds like a wonderful idea. 

Generally contract for sevices from one of the chaos titan legions.

Some warbands may maintain their own titan or titans, though that would require contract with the dark mechanicus for maintenance.

Remember that 'warband' is not a very descriptive term. A chaos warband may be anything from a single mercenary squad to company sized, chapter sized, or larger. The largest warbands are several times the size of a marine chapter, easily large enough to have their own fleet and even small titan legion.

And a warband is not the largest organizational body amid the forces of the eye. Multiple warbands in turn band together in the form of a modern chaos 'legion' - though such legions are not as strictly organized as the legions of the heresy era (though ancient heresy-era bonds of brotherhood often form the seed of modern chaos legions). Even so, modern chaos legions will incorporate multiple warbands of varrying sizes, titan legions, pact-bound daemonic legions, and dark mechanicus contracts, in addition to hordes of slaves and feral warriors.

A warlord who is part of such a legion may be able to call upon the aid of a titan legion that has sworn itself to the same over-arching legion baner. This is especially the case for warbands sworn to the modern Iron Warriors or Death Guard, which remain largely coherent from the heresy era, or the Black Legion, which is simply the largest and most successful such accumulation of chaos warbands in the modern era. The Red Coursairs can be thought of as a modern chaos legion, and similarly is large and successful enough to have titan groups among its muster that individual warbands sworn to huron's banner might call upon.

Of course, while most of the other heresy era legions are splintered to some degree or another, it's easy to imagine some of those warbands coming together around a particularly charismatic leader to take up the legions old banner again. This happens for the world eaters every time Angron returns to the mortal world, calling all his children, mortal and daemonic, back together into a tide of blood. Lucious has brought together many slaaneshi warbands, including several led by former emperor's children, in an attempt to revive that legion's banner. Even the fractious remains of the night lords are capable of gathering on occasion, and when they do are large enough to attract or contract the services of titan forces.

And you're of course free to come up with your own post-heresy chaos legion accumulated from a variety of warbands all gathered around one particularly successful chaos lord, in the model of the red corsairs.

Again, though, even at the individual warband level, it's not unreasonable for a warband to subdue a feral possessed titan, or capture an enemy machine. But keep in mind that they would almost certainly lack the expertise necessary to maintain such a monster, and that expertise would come at very high cost in the form of a dark mechanicus contract. And even for larger accumulations of warbands that include chaos titan legions in their own right, the dark mechanicus would be relied upon to provide those services. So you might consider running a warpsmith in your army, to represent the mechanicus agent in charge of overseeing titan maintenance, but mostly there to supervise the contract and ensure the proper tithes are paid to the daemonforge.

We know that there are forgeworlds in the maelstrom, so it is likely that there are also forgeworlds within the eye. One or more may have a titan manufactorum.

It would also be possible to attack imperial held forgeworlds known to create titans and capture newly made, but uncommissioned titans. Sure it would be heavily defended, but if the prize is worth it!

I am not convinced that the Dark Mechanicus would hold such a stranglehold on Titan manufacture, maintenance, and operation. They certainly would have monopolies on these services, just not complete ones. Here is why I hold this view.

1. The entry for Warpsmiths in the CSM Codex says that some of the Warpsmiths were former Tech-Marines. These individuals would have more loyalty to their warband or legion than the Dark Mechanicus. It seems feasible that a Warpsmith could come across the necessary knowledge for Titan manufacture or maintenance either through questing for the obscure tomes and texts, subterfuge or stealing the knowledge from others who have it, or even being gifted it from a demonic benefactor. Warpsmiths have incredible life spans and a quest for knowledge.

2. While the Imperium compartmentalizes it's military forces into different entities like the AM, Imperial Navy, Adeptus Astartes, SOB, Admech, etc... Chaos never did. A warband may have a chapter size contingent of Astartes, along with several regiments of traitor guard, a fleet of ships bigger than any chapter, daemons, and more, all loyal to their Lord. If a Dark Mechanicus Magi was serving in the same warband for thousands of years, at what point does his loyalties to the warband supersede those to his forge and is he is then not part of the warband?

3. In my opinion, the Night Lords trilogy is probably provides the best description of life in a Chaos Warband. In the second book I belive, the Night Lords take their ship into Huron's pirate port of Hells Iris and Huron has their ship repaired. I don't recall the Dark Mechanicus being involved in the repairs. (It has been a while since I last reread it maybee they did). If a warband or legion can perform maintenance on a strike cruiser it stands to reason that they should be able to do so on a Titan.

Anyway these are just my opinions.

The rule of cool stands firmly astride the answer to your question. By the time you are fielding a Titan, all bets (and force org charts) are probably off. Follow the good advice of the others in this thread and make your own story, build your own model, and stick with it.

Most importantly, make sure that whatever you do, you have fun. That's what hobbies are for :)

Hmmm zombie plague.....

That sounds awesome.

I second, or third, the plague Titan scenario.

Well. Ahem. When a Mommy Mechanicus and a Daddy Dark Disciple love each other VERY much, they ....

ROFL

back on topic though with chaos pretty much anything goes

For example im going to have a small xenos covern detachment who work with my nurgle army. My justification for this is that my chapters chief apothecarys study of necromancy and his mastery of it through sorcery has impressed them by the fact in my chapters home sector in the Drakoth warp storm on the world of H'karth beneath the fotress Drichor he has a extremely large horde of the undead.

Archived