Painting choices

ScottishDunc

Good day all,

I've occasionally posted here and feel it's now time to get a bit more involved.  I've seen some wonderfully painted models on here and since that is where I struggle the most (motivation to actually paint) I figured that if I get a good idea of what colours you guys are using to get your excellent reds it might help to focus my attention better.

So... I've already decided to start with a black undercoat and then a basecoat of Mephiston Red but I'm at a loss of where to do now.  On previous army projects I would do a shade/wash over the whole model at this stage and then take an appropriate highlight colour but I'm open to suggestions.

Help a fellow BA player out... what are you guys doing after this stage and if able, can you show me the end result?

Thanks!

My recipe calls for:

1. Chaos Black Spray

2. Mephiston Red Spray

3. Base colors for all details (metals, badges, wings, etc)

4. Wash the entire model with a recipe of Imperial Primer, Future Floor Wax, and Water.  This makes it slightly darker than Nuln Oil... and pools into cracks better.

5. Mephiston Red in all non-recessed areas

6. Highlight all edges with Evil Sunz Scarlet

7. Highlight top edges with Wild Rider Red

So... similar to you.

Here is an example of how it turns out:

Terminator Squad with Magnetized arms

I go a little lighter in colour but higher in contrast in my recipe. (Don't know if the terrible old pic helps)

1. Spray Black

2. Airbrush Mephiston Red

3. Wash entire model Crimson something....(Red wash) twice

4. Watered down Evil Suns on armor

5. highlight wild rider

6. spot highlight orange. (I chose to use this approach because I find it offsets how PINK wild rider is.

Taq

Good day all,

I've occasionally posted here and feel it's now time to get a bit more involved.  I've seen some wonderfully painted models on here and since that is where I struggle the most (motivation to actually paint) I figured that if I get a good idea of what colours you guys are using to get your excellent reds it might help to focus my attention better.

So... I've already decided to start with a black undercoat and then a basecoat of Mephiston Red but I'm at a loss of where to do now.  On previous army projects I would do a shade/wash over the whole model at this stage and then take an appropriate highlight colour but I'm open to suggestions.

Help a fellow BA player out... what are you guys doing after this stage and if able, can you show me the end result?

Thanks!

I keep it simple. My goal is to paint a good tabletop quality, and if I do better then yay bonus points. I give the most attention to my leader and HQ units.

1. I base Mephiston Red (spray).

2. Base color all the "stuff" on the model, purity seals, weapons, eyes, chest adornment, belt items, etc.

3. Start the shading process. Shade each thing that you based as a normal rule of thumb.

4. Now highlight each thing using a lighter coat of a similar paint color.

5. Go back and touch up, or fine detail work such as eyes, scopes, etc.

6. Do the base. I paint the base Steel Legion Drab. I then spread a layer of elmers glue on it and dip it in my cup of small rocks. Remove excess rock flock. Then I apply a thin layer of the plastic glue on top of that. Then I sprinkle in the colored grass flock made by GW. Re-paint the base side.

7. Spray with a sealer.

Done.

I use:

1.army painter pure red spray

2. Basecoat all other areas i.e metal, leather and other areas

3.agrax earth shade in all recesses for the red and leather and gold

null oil on all silver metal areas

4.:cclean up with evil sun's scarlet

5.respective highlights for all the colours apart from the red.

I stole part of this from striking scorpion (the red spray) but the rest was common sense if you want his really good tutorial visit his channel on YouTube and find how to paint blood angels.

:-)

PS the spray makes it come out really smooth

Archived