artificer armour

2: power sword

Artificer armour

inferno pistol

3:) pOwer axe

hand flamer

Artificer armour

What are your thoughts?

Honestly I'd go relic blade instead of power sword but that's me. Especially if you run a libby. Just cast the primaris on him and that's potentially 7 attacks at strength 7 on the charge (including FC). Will hurt something potentially really badly. Despite what is said around the net 2+ armor saves aren't 90% of every army out their that I've encountered. Let the DC or something shooty deal with 2+ let this guy kill rank and file or MC's.

Either way option 2 is what I would go for and keep that arti armor on my friend. Good Luck

#1:  Not bad, as Furious Charge will make the Claws hit harder and threat more armor.

#2:  I echo Tiberius_Karn, this is probably the best choice since you get a little of everything.  Valor's Edge isn't necessary but it's nice if you play against Deathwing/Wolfguard often.

#3:  Just no.  Unwieldy destroys the big Initiative 5 advantage of your Captain (Initiative 6 on the charge if you're playing a Baal Strike Force!).  By that token, avoid Power Fists/Thunder Hammers on him, as well.

If I HAD to pick, I'd say number 2 as well. But with all due respect, none of these builds are particularly efficient. That may or may not be of concern to you, however.

What do you suggest I do?

Well, the optimal answer here is don't take a Captain. If you MUST take one, however, I think I would go with the following:

Artificer Armour

Valour's Edge

Auspex

Space Marine Bike

Veritas Vitae

I was looking for a good way to kill orks and the claws with shred sounded like a good option to me and reasonably cheap but usually I will just go with a librarian with lvL 2

Because my opponent (orks) only has a weirdboy and rarely ever fields it

For a captain who will mainly fight Orks claw and fist would seem the best, paired with a jump pack (maybe Angels wings) and artificer armor and veritas vitae would seem to be the ideal build to me... You could run a bike but claw and fist looks silly on a bike.

I was looking for a good way to kill orks and the claws with shred sounded like a good option to me and reasonably cheap but usually I will just go with a librarian with lvL 2

Because my opponent (orks) only has a weirdboy and rarely ever fields it

Libby with Galian's Staff, ML 2, an Auspex, the Veritas and a Bike is about as efficient a character as we're able to field.

IMO artificer armor is a no-brainer. For example, let's compare it to storm shield, that is considered by many the best piece of wargear for protection.

With Storm shield you increase your protection from ap3 and ap2 by 16%, while giving up additional attack. It does nothing against ap4 or worse.

Artificer armor increases defense against ap4 or worse by 16%, against ap3 by 32% and does not prevent taking second ccw.

Also, if you want to use captain without bike or jump pack against orks, just take Seth. He will cut through anything orks have, except mega-nobz and nob bikers (with inquisitor support he will beat those as well).

With rad grenades biker nobz are t4 and Seth instant-kills them with his s8. As for mega nobz, psyker inquisitor can cast something like divination for better accuracy and potentially more rendind hits (and/or use USR from Liber Herecius and psychostroke grenades), and Librarian can boost him even further with codex powers.

So far I like Seth almost as much as Khârn for cheap glass-cannon character. Definitely not a competitive choice, but against big ork squads he's awesome.

Hello, Emprah2508!

For the price of a decently kitted out Captain you can field a 5-man Sanguinary Guard.

You lose invu but in exchange you get more guys - more wounds, no instant death, more weapons (you can mix swords and axes!), more hits...

Captain Obvious

PS And keep in mind that in this edition close combat is won or lost in the shooting phase.

Could I just use a librarian as that is what I usually (all the time) but I wanted to mix it up and WS6 BS5 looked fun against orks plus initiative 6 on the charge means I'll always strike first against orks plus with dual claws 5 S5 AP3 WILL ruin any orks day

Archived