Returning player

LeonAudacity

Hello everyone, just looking for some tips with Dark Angels. I know there may be countless threads such as this already, but I decided to seek advice anyway.

I've been away from the game for perhaps 16 years, started reading the heresy books and my interest was rekindled along with the love to paint.

I used to have a large chaos and SW army, alas, no more.

I picked up the DV box the other day and have acquired a squad of DV DW from eBay along with another tactical squad. I'm currently waiting for the codex, I'm in no rush to get the models painted, they look like a lot of fun to paint with the detail.

I think I enjoy using tactical marines and the terminators have always appealed to me. I know the models have become exceedingly over priced since I last played (more than doubled in cost), that's why I'm keeping my eye on eBay.

My question is, how does one get back into playing, and what additions do you recommend for say: 500, 1000, and 1500 point DA armies?

I still have to pick up the 7th Ed rule book, are there any other must haves that you think I should get?

Thanks for the advice.

I haven't played DA so i cannot comment on what can bolster your force, but as a recently returned player myself i do fully understand an support your Ebay-ship! This is exactly what i did - alas i have since decided to throw myself into imperial fists - however this could be good news for you as i have a full DV box set plus some DW knights.

Clearly i am not suggesting this should turn into a buy/sell thread! But if you are interested, throw me a PM. biggrin.png

Best of luck and more importantly - welcome back!

Grimm.

Just noticed that the last time I played was in the 2nd edition.

So far I have the DV kit, and have won bids on 10 tactical DV marines, 5 DW, and I have 5 sniper scouts and multi melta attack bike in the works. I'm also hoping to get another attack bike and 3 more RW bikes.

Is this a good start?

DWK's seem like a fun unit, is there anything else people could suggest?

Chances are I may not be playing, I'm more into the painting side right now. I don't think there are any players by me.

If you bought the DV box set (the white box), your rule book is 7th edition.  The 6th edition box was black and had the limited edition chaplain.

The great thing about DV is that you can get squads cheap on eBay.  In fact, the entire Dark Angels army from the set goes for about $45 or less.

It's a 700-point army by itself, if you were playing a 1000-point game I'd add another Tactical Squad (200 points) and a trio of Ravenwing bikes with a Vet Sergeant (100 points).

Once you get the attack bikes, work on filling out those Ravenwing squadrons.  You can probably get 6 DV bikes for the price of one attack bike.

It looks like you are off to a good start!  I just started playing Dark Angels a month ago and I've somehow managed to accumulate over 2500 points already!

Enjoy painting the models, they're really nice for snap-fit plastics.  Far better than anything you'd remember from back in the day in terms of detail and proportion.  And they're surprisingly not hard to clean up.

Archived