New to Dark Angels

xXxVATIKINxXx

Deathwing are about to get absolutely stomped into a puddle when the adeptus mech drop and become a commonplace table army. Because everyone and their mum is going to have mountains of cheap melta and plasma on a fast unit with scout operating at the ideal ranges for terminators. Whenever a termites deepstrikes around admechs it's going to be an absolute mess.

The first thing you need to realize is that dark angels are not competitive. Especially when dealing with flavor of the edition lists like all the eldar nonsense flapping about or farsight enclave, or necrons various silly things.

Dark angels are a 5th edition codex trying to make things work in 7th edition, nah baby that's not happening haha. Can u still win matches yes of course I did it the other day and flipped a tau mechanized army over in a big angry green mob of power fists and boltguns. But you need to recognize that you need to know your limits and pick your battles with care. I play casually trying to stick to pickup games with uncompetitive people so we both bring wacky cool lists and have fun rolling dice and pounding the table in outrage.

As for what units are things to go for really we can argue up and down what you should take but there aren't really any bad answers. As the decision is up to you if a model makes the cut. So instead I'll explain what models you probably won't want in your lists:

Dreadnaught: without the venerable upgrade he's a sitting duck waiting to be blasted to pieces depending on who and where you play this could mean having to buy the legitimate venerable box over the standard.

Land speeder vengeance: it's a hopeless waste of points that either kills itself or gets killed before it can do anything it's just totally useless

Nephilim: the current running joke is "glue and extra lascannon on and use it as a xiphon". the xiphon is a new marine forgeworld plane and it's considerably better than the neph and it does adequate work unlike the flying shipping crate were stuck with now

Chaplain: you could have an interrogator for 20 points more he's pointless

That's about the end of the list of things that should just be outright avoided.

Competitive wth DA is difficult. If you want to enter cut-throat tournament environment than it becomes more difficult. That said we can still put up a fight.

Competitive wise, DW can't keep up. Too few, too pricey. They can put a good fight and even win against older codices like Chaos but against top tier they will struggle.

If you really want a competitive army, look to Ravenwing. They have speed, resilience and firepower. Not as much as top tier armies but more than anything else in DA Codex.

For idea's you can search army list for or search for Prot's threads.

At this time DA is good for fun casual games where people take more relaxed lists.

I don't mean to scare you away, just prepare you for the hardship ahead.

Cheers.

Dark Angels are apparently getting a new codex in the coming months, so that will shake things up.

DA do suffer a bit when compared to the Ultramarines, Space Wolves and Blood Angels.... HOWEVER if you supplement the army with a few FW units you can make it a lot stronger.

I agree with my Brothers that the DA's are not a very competitive army. I'm not a tournament player, but i do like to win so y try to optimize my lists as much as i can. And even then, it still an uphill battle against most top tiers army, even without a cheesy list. 

BUT it is VERY rewarding when you win. And most of all, it's a very fun army to play, lots of different build to have fun with, some awesome models and a great fluff. 

And sure, Deathwing is not competitive at all, but it's just epic to bring 30 terminators on the board, and just fight for death or glory ! :D 

If you want cheese, top tier tournament autowin lists, then the DA are not the army you want to play, but if you want a great looking, fun, and tactically challenging army, then all i can say is " Welcome to the Rock " ! 

For the Lion ! 

Brother Eurieus. 

Dark Angels are apparently getting a new codex in the coming months, so that will shake things up.

DA do suffer a bit when compared to the Ultramarines, Space Wolves and Blood Angels.... HOWEVER if you supplement the army with a few FW units you can make it a lot stronger.

It's a rumour. I wouldn't be using the word Apparently. Dark Angels could get a new codex, or they just might get a Story Supplemental/Campaign like the Tyranids and Blood Angles and Space Wolves and Orks got. They could get both, or nothing at all. Just rumours.

As for Dark Angels suffering, again, it's all opinion. A few people on this forum have no problems with Dark Angels. I guess what all people can agree on, is Dark Angels will take a longer time to learn and master compared to other armies, and people who say Dark Angels are week, I believe in some cases are just people who want an easier time playing with plastic toy soldiers and can't be bothered using Dark Angels.

I will stop here before I go on one of my yearly Dark Angel rants. :P

Archived