Gift of Mutation

GreyCrow

When I run with my Thousand Sons, I usually have a lord and sorcerer, whoever rolls up boon of mutation gets to babysit my lord and cast it on him all game. 

Looking through old army lists where I write down who got what:

Lvl 3 sorcerer with sigil, MoTm familiar ended up with: instant death, reroll failed armour saves, icy aura, +1T. His powers were boon of mutation and endurance (lol)

Stuff my 1w characters have got include: hammer of wrath on a termie champ, eternal warrior on a TS aspiring sorcerer, reroll failed saves on a noise marine serge, eternal warrior on noise marien champ.

It is most definitely a bit overpriced, due to the random effect you had the bad results with. I find that most of the time I do get bad mutations not fitting for the game, or bonuses that the model already carries through wargear or base special rules..

I can't help but include it on my aspiring Champs though! msn-wink.gif must be the gambling gene taking control.. I love designating the two dice as tens and ones, rolling and then checking the chart. That's usually when the fun ends. biggrin.png

Yeah, the gambling aspect was very attractive for me :D Unfortunately, I did have the same experience as you. Another thing that was very frustrating in terms of gambling gain expectations is the fact that you have a high change of rolling for naught (rolling a 1 for the tens :'( as well as useless stuff) and when you actually get something it's usually not that good or requires very specific stuff to get the advantage.
So averaging it out and providing more useful results overall could be a really fun stuff.

When I run with my Thousand Sons, I usually have a lord and sorcerer, whoever rolls up boon of mutation gets to babysit my lord and cast it on him all game.

Looking through old army lists where I write down who got what:

Lvl 3 sorcerer with sigil, MoTm familiar ended up with: instant death, reroll failed armour saves, icy aura, +1T. His powers were boon of mutation and endurance (lol)

Stuff my 1w characters have got include: hammer of wrath on a termie champ, eternal warrior on a TS aspiring sorcerer, reroll failed saves on a noise marine serge, eternal warrior on noise marien champ.

Yeah, I think Boon of Mutation is a much better bargain than Gift ^^ Sure, you can potentially die, but you get the stuff for free :p

Archived