Mortis and Tempest AA Missile Launchers

Epher

My plan is to build some Mortis Dreadnoughts.  Due to the limited number of available bits, I cannot make them all TL Lascannons or TL Autocannons.  I am thinking that the dual missile launchers may not be so bad, 105 points for two ML with three hull points and the ability to have Sky Fire and Interceptor seems reasonable to me.  Although 75 points for a Typhoon give the dual missile launcher, higher mobility but no AA capabilities.  Now on to the question...

Would Mortis missile launchers only have frag and krak missiles available?  The model has the sky fire rule and therefore would not need to use the Flakk missiles (which also has the sky fire rule).  I would rather use the Krak missiles since they have the higher S and AP.

I have found an Imperial Armour V2 update (version 1.3) here that states that the Tempest has a "TL Missile launcher with Frag and Krak missiles on an AA mount".  Is this ruleset valid?  It is not on the Forge World or Black Library site.  It would make the Tempest another AA option for the DA.

Thoughts?

Those are old rules I'm afraid.

The Tempest took a small knock from the nerf bat, it's cheaper & can be taken in upto a squadron of 3. However it loses the AA mount, getting Flakk missiles instead.

The Mortis gains Skyfire and Interceptor via the Helixal Targeting Array so can use Krak missiles for AA.

DM

The elimination of the AA mount for the missile launcher is not a bad thing in my books.  It allows the Tempest to focus on ground targets instead of being a jack-of-all-trades (TL ML snap shots at ground targets or Assault Cannon snap shots at air targets).  So the latest rules can be found in Imperial Armour Aeronautica?  It has the reduced points and the Afterburner special rule.  Afterburner = Flyer that cannot shoot = nerf bat.

I really like that Forge World states that "it is particulary valued for its ability to take on enemy fliers in close defense of ground forces."  Unless I am missing something about skimmers, the Tempest can only take snap shots at fliers, correct?

The elimination of the AA mount for the missile launcher is not a bad thing in my books.  It allows the Tempest to focus on ground targets instead of being a jack-of-all-trades (TL ML snap shots at ground targets or Assault Cannon snap shots at air targets).  So the latest rules can be found in Imperial Armour Aeronautica?  It has the reduced points and the Afterburner special rule.  Afterburner = Flyer that cannot shoot = nerf bat.

I really like that Forge World states that "it is particulary valued for its ability to take on enemy fliers in close defense of ground forces."  Unless I am missing something about skimmers, the Tempest can only take snap shots at fliers, correct?

No, the Flakk missiles have Skyfire, so they can target fliers with full BS. The assault cannon would only be snap fire at the same target.

When firing at ground targets the frag/ krak missiles and assault cannon all fire at full BS.

The latest rules are in Imperial Armour Vol 2 2nd edition. (However the Deredo Pdf has the latest rules for the Helical Targeting array)

DM

Archived