Quick questions about the Purge Warband

Lord Lee

Hi guys

I'm thinking of doing up some CSM for the ELT but I have a few questions regarding the Purge.

Are these guys are renegade marines more than full on chaos space marines?

Do they accept daemonic marines like daemon princes and possessed?

Would they have renegade infantry guard allies or just kill them?

Thanks

Lord Lee.

From my memory and interpretation they are mis-led renegades that want to cleanse and purge (heh) the galaxy of life because in their opinion life is evil.

This twistted, nihilistic world view and their mass genocides with chem weapons has lead them in the loving arms of Grandfather Nurgle. There is some debate if they are willing servants/worshipers but they are famous for using Blight Drones, which are Nurgle Deamons so I guess using Possessed and other Deamons should be a-ok.

In earlier editions they had mandatory Plague Marines and those are'nt too far from Possessed imho.

But you can fluff your warband however you like. The Purge seem quite numerous and powerful to realistically cover most play styles.

Maybe the Vraksian Renegade Militia? Only guard unit I've heard of that has worked *willingly* with the Purge. Then again, most nurgle oreintated Regiments would do just fine. I think the Purge would treat the guardsmen more as fodder, but then again isn't that how everyone treats them ;)

Hi guys

I'm thinking of doing up some CSM for the ELT but I have a few questions regarding the Purge.

Are these guys are renegade marines more than full on chaos space marines?

Do they accept daemonic marines like daemon princes and possessed?

Would they have renegade infantry guard allies or just kill them?

Thanks

Lord Lee.

The Purge is cool. And it's one of those warbands that is half fleshed out. So cool.

- They probably are renegades, but I'd say their fanatism probably attracts many old timers too. I'm tempted to think they accept all those who are willing to join their crusade.

- On daemons, yeah, probably. At least I can see how to justify it. Daemonhood might be a way to purge life out of oneself, to get to a higher state, one not relying on what they despise in life.

- I'm tempted to think they'd kill them off, but I highly doubt it. A warband needs humans / mutants. I can see equaly apocalyptic zealots being allowed to fight side by side with their masters of the Purge.

The overall plan is a Purge warband with the Daemon Prince, 5 Raptors, 10 bikes and vindicator with Dark Angel parts and symbols so I can have my friends DA hunt my Chaos in our campaign and the rest using normal chaos parts.

I am looking at the traitor guard as a small ally force using IA13 but I wanted to be sure it works background wise.

It clearly states in the Vraks books that the Purge don't really respect the Chaos Powers, so they are more Renegade than full on Chaos Marines.

It also states that the only reason the Purge are allied with Nurgle is because they see Nurgle as the most likely to help them achieve their goal of exterminating everything.

The Purge actually think the're "using" Nurgle by swearing allegiance to him in order to get access to his plagues (which they use to further their omnicidal campaign) without really caring about him or his goals. That kind of arrogance might be punished by a less good-natured deity, but Nurgle is nothing if no generous... in this case he might also be pragmatic, as the warband is too small to actially eradicate all life (which would be anathema to their patron) but they're pretty liberal in their application of viral weaponry and Nurgle's rot and all those other things he likes. They're an interesting warband.

The Vraks book that was re-released recently has a battle-forged detachment called "The Purge". It's based on the Apocalypse formation for Chaos Marines from the original books.

It gives you access to chemical flamers and turns areas hit by barrage type weapons into dangerous terrain. What's also interesting is that the detachment is available to both CSM and Traitor Guard. They do fight alongside ordinary humans on Vraks after all.

It also states that the only reason the Purge are allied with Nurgle is because they see Nurgle as the most likely to help them achieve their goal of exterminating everything.

Too bad you can't be allied with a freakin Chaos God for sh*** and giggles.

They may see it that way but you can't use the Gods and not get corrupted by them.

The Purge are interesting and their world view is even edgy for a Chaos Warband but they still belong to Grandfather Nurgle, wheter they accept it or not.

Blight Drones and Plague Marines don't come free of charge.

Even Nurgle isn't that generous.

Archived