Vanguard/Ranger Kit

Nrthstar

I popped this kit open to start my first round of troops, and I was extremely disappointed.  The kit is gorgeous, but to have it completely lacking in guns made me sad.  Only one Arc, Arquebus, and Plasma?  While the rules for these kits highly encourage running all of one gun.  So what I thought was a good deal, has turned into the need to buy three kits, just to have one squad fully kitted with the right guns.

i feel your anger, ....you need to buy 3 boxes to make a single min max squad of rangers with transauranic arquebus's... yes i now can make a squad of vanguard with 3 plasma too...but thats not the point is it tongue.png laugh.png ...

considering how small(units wise) the army is, i feel GW factored this lack of special weapons into the setup to generate a greater return on their investment dry.png

Mithril

p.s i still think it's a great army but yeah...its going to require some $$$$ to get the army you want...

It was a slight disappointment but nothing major for me; I wanted to run a unit of Rangers and a unit of Vanguard and special weapons options are different proiorities for each.  My Rangers are mostly campers with 30" rifles and an arquebus, while my Vanguard are the upfront unit with the Sicarians so are better off armed with arc guns or plasma calivers.

5/280015.M3

SELECTED: DENTRICA I OF I

ENGAGE NEURAL CONGRESS – WIRELESS AUTOSHUNT ACQUIRED

UPLOADING… + HARD DATA +

Patient investigation by Fabricator-Locum Atia determined this fact. Access the Rumours: Adeptus Mechanicus - Skitarii  files for confirmation.

With such knowledge, and faith in the Omnissiah, we did not hesitate to acquire eight such containers to implement His designs. We are determined to arm His warriors with all possible combinations of His sacred tools.

We behold the sprues of the Martian warriors of our forefathers. Its sacred design, the wonder of its workings and the consecration of ancient iron is ours to claim in the name of the Omnissiah, for it is He who guided us to this place of fabrication.

It is in His name that their use shall purge the corruption of the xenos infestation and restore the secrets of this find to the servants of Mars.

R.

< I am one with the Motive Force. One with the Great Maker – He who crafts all true constructs in one of His many images. He who infuses, fills with His power, lends His strength. >

Can you guess who keeps listening to the audio-novel Skitarius over and over ?

I popped this kit open to start my first round of troops, and I was extremely disappointed.  The kit is gorgeous, but to have it completely lacking in guns made me sad.  Only one Arc, Arquebus, and Plasma?  While the rules for these kits highly encourage running all of one gun.  So what I thought was a good deal, has turned into the need to buy three kits, just to have one squad fully kitted with the right guns.

Ever open / build a box of Scions? 5 Dollars less for 5 fewer models AND you have to really chose what you want. Multiple weapons use the same arm / arms, so you need at least 2-3 boxes to make a decent 10 man squad!

but I'm a sucka and fork over the dough...

The sprues are absolutely crammed. I cant see how they could have squeezed in 6 more gunz with out making either more sprues, and thus more expensive, or only 5 man kits.

I think it is fine. 3 boxes give you 3 squads with 3 different loadouts. Tactical flexibility.

Well whatever list I run will start with:

[275] 10 Vanguard

Alpha: Phosphoenix, Arc Maul, Conversion Field, Pater Radium

3 Vanguard: Plasma Caviler

1 Vanguard: Radium Carbine, Omnispex

5 Vanguard: Radium Carbine

[200] 10 Rangers

Alpha: Arc Pistol, Arc Maul, Refractor Field

3 Rangers: Arc Rifle

6 Ranger: Galvanic Rifle

[210] 10 Rangers

Alpha: Arc Pistol, Arc Maul, Refractor Field

3 Rangers: Transuranic Arquebus

1 Ranger: Galvanic Rifle, Omnispex

5 Ranger: Galvanic Rifle

Why you ask?  Simple, because I have one box now and the way I am building them has already committed me to buying two more with these loadouts.  It works out nice that I will get three full squads with maximum special weapons and have a solid base to work with for the army.  Even if I do decide on adding a Sicarian unit and ten Dunecrawlers the list still looks good. (1 Dunecrawler w/ Icarus array, 3 w/ eradication beamers, 3 w/ phosphor blasters, 3 w/ neutron lasers; add wargear).

I do plan to use the phospher serpenta from the Dragoon kit for the Phosphoenix, maybe modified slightly with parts from the phospher pistol, maybe not.

This really isn't an issue. If you're looking to save a buck and use one box to make two squads of Vanguard just to get your troop compliancy for allies, then just wait for some bits to show up on e-bay and save your buck. 

For the rest of us, buying multiple boxes is not an issue, since it spreads the love a little. With 4 boxes, I can easily make a very solid troop selection:

Vanguard (10) w/ 2 Plasma Caliver, Omnispex

Vanguard (10) w/ 2 Plasma Caliver, Omnispex

Vanguard (10) w/ 3 Arc Rifles, Arc Pistol, Omnispex

Rangers (10) w/ 3 Transuranic Arquebus, Omnispex

and in that I have a GREAT troop base that's plenty deadly, or easily take 5-man squads and spread the MSU love.

One special weapon per box is rarely an issue when you need more than one box to make a solid troop base. 

Wow, FashaTheDog and doctorbored literally just dictated the sort of setup I was already considering!  I'd agree that the special weapon count is a bit problematic, but honestly you should plan on 3-4 boxes of Skitarii to run this army effectively in either case.  This isn't a codex that wants minimum Troops, despite the lack of ObSec; these guys are killy as heck and highly mobile (if not actually fast), and the lack of transports means you'll need big squads to get them where you want them.

This isn't a codex that wants minimum Troops, despite the lack of ObSec; these guys are killy as heck and highly mobile (if not actually fast), and the lack of transports means you'll need big squads to get them where you want them.

We are the oil in the gears of the machine.

R.

Btw, I've found that even if you assemble the entire upper body but leave it separate from the legs, it makes it much much easier to paint the cloaks.

I second this !!!

i'm finding out right now! yes, its way much easier and saves fiddly painting time to get the lower legs done and the base,then just popping the top on and bravo! 

Mithril

Btw, I've found that even if you assemble the entire upper body but leave it separate from the legs, it makes it much much easier to paint the cloaks.

I second this !!!

i'm finding out right now! yes, its way much easier and saves fiddly painting time to get the lower legs done and the base,then just popping the top on and bravo!

Mithril

I'm just sick of cleaning the radium carbines's flash around the coiling and the ribbed hosing of the packs, never you mind painting them. tongue.png

I've been assembling my Skitarii in three parts:

1)  Legs and base

2)  Torso, backpack, head and left arm

3)  Weapon arm

I assemble the torso per the instructions and glue the left arm.  While the glue is still wet, I play with the weapon arm to get everything aligned via dryfit.  Once dry, I prime and paint the three assemblies separately.  I then scrape down to the plastic on the joint surfaces between the assemblies, fix everything with dabs of plastic glue, and paint over the joints to clean them up.  A final wash to bring everything together and then on to basing!

This sub-assembly method works very well, though it could benefit from treating the backbacks separately as well.  I've only had one minor issue so far, because I got some assemblies mixed up.  It would be helpful to get a tackle box or egg carton to keep each model separate so this doesn't occur.

Yup, I made the rookie mistake of clipping the whole sprue and separating the parts by arm/legs/heads/etc.  While this is ok for the detail bits and heads, it made matching up the arms and torsos/legs a mess.  Learned for the next project!  (now if only my distributor would move his bum and ship my stuff!)

Yeah, ever since Imperial Guard, I've learned that some sprues have parts like arms that only match specific other parts.

Btw it's interesting that Forge World Finecast parts actually have small 'dot' indentation patterns (like dice patterns) on the inside of the joints so that you can match parts even after you take them off the sprue.

I've been assembling my Skitarii in three parts:

1) Legs and base

2) Torso, backpack, head and left arm

3) Weapon arm

I assemble the torso per the instructions and glue the left arm. While the glue is still wet, I play with the weapon arm to get everything aligned via dryfit. Once dry, I prime and paint the three assemblies separately. I then scrape down to the plastic on the joint surfaces between the assemblies, fix everything with dabs of plastic glue, and paint over the joints to clean them up. A final wash to bring everything together and then on to basing!

This sub-assembly method works very well, though it could benefit from treating the backbacks separately as well. I've only had one minor issue so far, because I got some assemblies mixed up. It would be helpful to get a tackle box or egg carton to keep each model separate so this doesn't occur.

you could add in the step that i do to this to make it a bit easier, add a small amount of blu-tac to the join parts before priming so when you need to glue them you just gently peel of the paint covered blu-tac and chuck it thus leaving a small spot that's paint free for easy gluing and no need to scrape with a knife blink.png.

@FashaTheDog- thats what i use exactly thumbsup.gif good ol coin bags!

Mithril.

Archived