Best uses for a RW Command Squad

Berzul

Hi everyone!

I have a question about the RW Command Squad. Similar to another thread I started some time back, about the best way to field Deathwing Knights.

I'll start by stating that I do not have a Ravenwing Command Squad in my army. I have always gone for Greenwing with a bit of Deathwing, or a bit of Ravenwing, with my army lists, and so far I pretty much use a regular Command Squad (when I do use one, which is not that often anyway).

Now, more and more I've started to get some really good use out of my ravenwing. I usually bring a 6-Bike Ravenwing Attack Squadron with a Melta or a Plasma, a Veteran Sergeant with a Powersword, and I tend to attach a Librarian with a Bike in there. This unit serves as great support to my tactical squads, given that it is not meant to be an assault unit or a big damage dealer. It has served that purpose sometimes, out of lucky rolls and interesting deployment, but I always run them as a support squadron.

So, last week I was fighting a friend who plays Tau, and even though it was a tied match (7 to 7),  by the end my army was reduced to one of my three tactical squad (which only had 3 Marines by the end anyway), my Veteran Scout and one sniper (who survived by virtue of their camo cloaks, against really heavy fire from stealth suits), and my full squad or Ravenwing; and this was the MVP of the match.

The bikers outflanked from the left side, taking down a heavily covered firewarrior squadron, some pathfinders, and a Hammerhead, then forcing the Crisis Commander and his bodyguard retinue to make a tactical retreat to the other side of the board, all before veering off to take down another fire warrior squad, on the bottom of turn 5.

It was one assault after another, with some really lucky shots on the back of the Hammerhead too. I was simply astonished.

I started to think how to field a good assault unit of bikers, and started writting up some possible units. Came up with an idea to use an Interrogator-Chaplain with a mace of redemption, on a bike, with a Full-Biked Ravenwing Command Squadron, adding a Dark Angel Chapter Banner for that extra attack. I figured, this unit could do some serious assault damage.

Then I started to write down the rest of the army around it, and that's when I started to draw a blank. 

So, the questions I had were:

1) Is this unit a good use of the Command Squad? Or is really Devastation the tried and true way to go?

2) If I do go with this as a spearhead unit for assault purposes, what would be the best way to support it?

3) Should I take grenade launchers? If so, how many would be best?

My thanks in advance for any wisdom on the matter.

Well in my opinion the RW command squad is probably the best unit in the codex and they are an auto include in pretty much all of my lists. They shoot hard, assault hard, fast, resilient ... 

Adding the int chaplain turn the squad into a really strong CC unit, and it's a popular loadout for him with the MoR.

I tried the Dev banner a few time, but in the end to best banner for me is fortitude, it just saves a lot of my plastic boys every game.

You can only take on GL in each command squad, but it's an auto include as well, with the potential to instant death with plasma on T4 models is awesome.

Remember that BK's are scary, and your opponent WILL do everything to get them killed as soon as possible. 

Personally, I bring 2 RW Command Squads if I can.

One I bring with an Int. Chaplain on a bike with the MOR. Full 5 man squad with apothecary, RW Champion and the Ravenwing Banner. Banner bearer gets the grenade launcher. My thought is to pair the Ravenwing Banner's auto pass Hit & Run with the Chaplain's Zealot rule. Basically, it can always be the first turn of combat for rerolls if I want it to be. This squad can also break away from the main body to go after juicy elite targets (priority #1) or larger blobs of cheap infantry. This is a lot of fun once your opponents catch on to what you have in store. msn-wink.gif

If I am going bike heavy, the second squad is usually another 5 man squad with an apothecary and the Banner of Devastation. This may or may not have another character in it. If I bring Sammuel, he will probably be with a RAS to spread out target priorities. If my second HQ is a librarian, he definitely goes in this squad; I shoot for either shrouding or invisibility powers to improve the squad's durability. Obviously, this squad would stick with the main body of bikes until it is time to charge or to assault units threatening the main body.

I have been experimenting with the Banner of Fortitude instead for some of my mixed wing lists (Tacs and Vets in Drop Pods, DW/DWK, RWCS). This is a totally aggressive style and does not always work versus all opponents. Basically scout forward as far as possible, DWA any terminators you have in front of the RWCS turn 1, and drop 2-3 Drop Pods in front of the DW. Your RWCS and DW then serve as counter assault units when the enemy charges your screening tac squads. Hopefully, everything should have FNP if done right.

The squad is only 230 ish points with FNP & Champion compared to a Terminator squad its cracking value

With a HQ who has a PFG they can take on most of your heavy hitting combat units including a Deamon Prince and still survive enough to do the old Hit & Run

Paired with a Darkshroud your now 2+ Jink save & the Toughness 5 is huge giving scope for near permanent FNP roles

The Darkshroud + even a basic banner are the icing on the cake for +2 combat resolution

Overwatch - I've taken 3 wounds of a DP before today with twin linked plasma and they are my go to anti air weapon especially having to jink so much.

These days I've had to break out a 2nd squad and play double Ravenwing command 1 holding the center while the other sweeps round a flank mopping up static units, against Marine armies the Deathwing Knights drop in front for a hammer & anvil approach. Against Tau double Librarian with Pyro & Telepathy/Divination is winning a lot of games.

They really are as hard as nails and unless your getting really unlucky rolls they should absorb a ton of fire

If your running greenwing they can slow up and hold any combat unit allowing you to target focus and then hit & run in your opponents turn giving you a chance to pour fire into the combat unit before recharging

I really doubt the unit dissapears. ... right?

... RIGHT?! O_o

I've been thinking it more and more. Seems like a unit that serves a purpose no matter HOW you play it. I think I'm going to get me one in the end.

thanks for the comments. You really sell the squad well! Hahahaha! :D

I really doubt the unit dissapears. ... right?

... RIGHT?! O_o

I've been thinking it more and more. Seems like a unit that serves a purpose no matter HOW you play it. I think I'm going to get me one in the end.

thanks for the comments. You really sell the squad well! Hahahaha! biggrin.png

lol

I don't mean the squad disappearing, but imho GW has a very nasty habit of taking something people like and/or use a lot and completely nerfing it, or just making it so unattractive that no one will use it.

As it stands, aside from the Shroud (which has a lot less use in 7th edition than it did in 6th) the RW command squad with Dakka or Fortitude is easily one of the funner, and functional, albeit expensive units of the codex.

My fear specifically would be that the banners are re-worked to destroy that base function, or perhaps the points cost (already fairly pricey) go through the roof... something of that nature.

To be honest, if I could take Azrael and (I have no idea why this isn't legal already) take the RW command squad it would easily be my favorite list. However as a big Maelstrom player, Az-zeke bomb is one of my favorite lists, and I can't fit a RW into it.

But when I'm not using Azrael, Ravenwing has been my 'goto' in the codex since it came out. (I never got the hang of nor any comfort level with Deathwing in my meta.)

They ain't gonna take the plasma off them or the corvus hammers, there not overpriced in today's meta.

Given the fact they've just handed out rad to Skitarii I can't see the grenade launcher changing much either and there supposed to integrate with the Talon which I'm really liking at the momment

They ain't gonna take the plasma off them or the corvus hammers, there not overpriced in today's meta.

Given the fact they've just handed out rad to Skitarii I can't see the grenade launcher changing much either and there supposed to integrate with the Talon which I'm really liking at the momment

All I'm saying is they better not mess with the banners. To be honest it's one of my favorite features. I swear once I kind of got bored of every funky build I could try gaming with, I started just having fun trying to utilize the banners in different ways.

THIS is why I want to see a Stormraven, and/or re-worked flyers from our STC days with the mighty 'lion' engines (that quite frankly need tremendous re-working in today's game). 

The combinations with the banners really make the command squads for me personally. 

Archived