a question about the fallen

Jacques Corbin

Ok, so if chaos marines entomb a fallen into a helbrute, but it bears no DA iconography, what then? Would rumors of an entombed fallen be believable? Do you still hunt the helbrute down? Is there an interrogator chaplain with enough black pearls to "acquire" a confession from a helbrute? Or do you just destroy the thing with lots and lots of plasma? How does the inner circle handle such an event? Because, likely a warpsmith entombed the fallen, and there may be a suit of power armor from I Legion, or whatever was left was canibalized by traitors to repair/replace their own damaged armor, or the various pieces are trophies. Also warpsmiths are HQs, so a lot of traitors will have to be sanitized, good thing DA always bring plenty plasma. Any thoughts or (conspiracy) theories?

Ok, so if chaos marines entomb a fallen into a helbrute, but it bears no DA iconography, what then? Would rumors of an entombed fallen be believable? Do you still hunt the helbrute down? Is there an interrogator chaplain with enough black pearls to "acquire" a confession from a helbrute? Or do you just destroy the thing with lots and lots of plasma? How does the inner circle handle such an event? Because, likely a warpsmith entombed the fallen, and there may be a suit of power armor from I Legion, or whatever was left was canibalized by traitors to repair/replace their own damaged armor, or the various pieces are trophies. Also warpsmiths are HQs, so a lot of traitors will have to be sanitized, good thing DA always bring plenty plasma. Any thoughts or (conspiracy) theories?

Well, chalk most of this up to GW, not real life. The fallen were spread across time by being sucked through hell. You can't expect a fully logical answer because we simply have none for that.

However, it's highly unlikely fallen would ever allow themselves to be entombed in anything. For one thing, they though they were fighting against Horus on Caliban. Those few who did seek refuge with chaos are likely still loyal to mankind, just not the imperium. They're renegades more than chaos and have thus far (in GW canon) taken no official side as far as the chaos gods are concerned.

This aside, the Dark Angels believe salvation is had through the flesh and helbrutes still possess a squishy interior. Should it come to pass (though it's heavily unlikely ever to be canon) the DA would continue on as normal and break whatever fleshy matter they can and/or find new methods to torture a confession out.

My old and weathered brain actually recalls a chaos servant... sorcerer or lord, I can't recall which anymore, that defied the powers that be. What I do recall is that they woke fully entombed in a sarcophagus as punishment, doomed to forever live without any way to speak, move, or hear the world around them.

Perhaps being entombed and wake without the rest of the dreadnought is torture enough?

Anyway, I'd not think too heavily on it. Afterall, what power have we mere mortals over deus ex machina?

I don't see the Dark Angels behaving any differently.

They'd seek to disable the Helbrute, so as to recover the entombed Fallen pilot.  They'd track down and destroy whatever Traitors could be linked to the Fallen, just as they would had he not been made into a Helbrute.  Given the insanity the Fallen would almost certainly be suffering from, the Dark Angels would likely look to the Librarius to fix his psyche enough to exact a confession.  If it didn't work, well, he'd be executed.

My old and weathered brain actually recalls a chaos servant... sorcerer or lord, I can't recall which anymore, that defied the powers that be. What I do recall is that they woke fully entombed in a sarcophagus as punishment, doomed to forever live without any way to speak, move, or hear the world around them.

The anthology: "Into the Maelstrom"

A renegade White Scar sorcerer (pretend renegade, double agent, I recall) gets found out and sarcophagused, never to be interred within a dread shell, or put into stasis.

Plus with Chaos Dreads, at least in the older fluff, the reason for them being so insane (Fire Frenzy) was that unlike Loyalist ones when they weren't in use they were just kinda hung up on a wall and left to stew in their own minds until needed for battle. So, yeah basically a good way to drive just about anyone/thing nuts. I don't imagine you would be able to get much useful from an insane interred Fallen. Not that it would stop the Dark Angels from trying.

Archived