Death or Glory...

Ptolemy

So I'm curious. I had a thought about Death or Glory after looking into it for "that other thread". It says that "The attack can be either a shot from a weapon carried by the model, or a single close combat attack using any weapon carried, including grenades."

Now let's imagine, just for example (I'm sure there are a few others but I can't think of them right now), a single landspeeder is ramming a Deffkopta. Deffkoptas can be armed with a Bigbomm. Since the Bigbomm is S4, it could glance the landspeeder - and if the landspeeder is on 1 hull point, that could kill it.

But the wording of Death or Glory says that a ranged attack can be "shot from a weapon". Is the Bigbomm shot? I don't believe it is (unless the entire Deffkopta is the weapon), since it has zero range. However, the Bigbomm is listed in the Ranged Weapons section of the Ork Codex - so it's not a melee weapon, thus the second part of the rule doesn't apply to it.

Additionally, Bombing runs must be made in the movement phase, as per the rulebook. So.. can a Deffkopta drop a Bigbomm in a Death or Glory attack? I'm leaning towards no, but I'm not sure. I'm curious what you guys think - or if I'm just being dumb, while looking for interesting rulings.

My suspicion is that the answer is no, mainly because the bombing run is a special attack made outside of the normal turn sequence. Also, isn't the big bomb a blast weapon? In which case your own vehicle would be caught in the blast too, and I'm not sure you're allowed to deliberately target a friendly unit which this would basically amount to.

In your example the Landspeeder couldn't perform a Tank Shock as it isn't a Tank.  So there could be no Death or Glory attempt.

As far as "using Bombs against a Tank-shocking Tank" goes, I suspect the answer should be no, however I'd need to give the sections a read through before I could be sure (I'm away from rulebook at present).

I'll edit this once I've been able to get my hands on my rulebook to check.

- - - - -

Edit:

The rules for Bombs are quite clear, they may only ever be used to make Bombing Runs in their movement phase and cannot be used at any other time.

Unlike other weapons, Bombs must be used in the Movement phase of their turn, in a special kind of attack called a Bombing Run.

So, you can't use a Bomb as a Death or Glory Attack as you're not using it in "the Movement phase of their turn".

In your example the Landspeeder couldn't perform a Tank Shock as it isn't a Tank.  So there could be no Death or Glory attempt.

As far as "using Bombs against a Tank-shocking Tank" goes, I suspect the answer should be no, however I'd need to give the sections a read through before I could be sure (I'm away from rulebook at present).

I'll edit this once I've been able to get my hands on my rulebook to check.

- - - - -

Edit:

The rules for Bombs are quite clear, they may only ever be used to make Bombing Runs in their movement phase and cannot be used at any other time.

Unlike other weapons, Bombs must be used in the Movement phase of their turn, in a special kind of attack called a Bombing Run.

So, you can't use a Bomb as a Death or Glory Attack as you're not using it in "the Movement phase of their turn".

Oops, yeah, that was a bit dull of me - I was just trying to think of an Imperial vehicle with 10 on the front armour for the example, skipped over the "tank type" part straight to "vehicle", lol.

My suspicion is that the answer is no, mainly because the bombing run is a special attack made outside of the normal turn sequence. Also, isn't the big bomb a blast weapon? In which case your own vehicle would be caught in the blast too, and I'm not sure you're allowed to deliberately target a friendly unit which this would basically amount to.

The Bigbomm is a blast, yes. But there are other blast weapons which could fire in a Death or Glory. Artillery pieces for example can make Death or Glory attacks, since DoG specifically says they can. Take an Imperial Guard Medusa Siege Gun Carriage - S10 AP1 with the breecher shells, but they're blast weapons. So I don't think that it being a blast weapon stops it from making a DoG attack.

However, I'm pretty sure in this case, the Bigbomm can't be used because of the Bombing Run special rule. It was an interesting thought though.

That brings up the question: What happens when you DoG with an Artillery piece that has a blast template? If you kill the tank, it stops 1 inch away from your model. Do you then place the template on the front of the model and apply damage? Or does nothing happen at all?

Archived