How would you represent the Alpha Legion with C:CSM ?

GreyCrow

On a completely side note, today was the day I bought my first Chaos models on top of the Dark Vengeance set, and I feel disturbingly good about assembling them, much more than when I expanded my loyalist army tongue.png The temptation of Chaos is awesome ! biggrin.png

______

On a more relevant topic, I've read that the Alpha Legion was relatively wary of using Daemons as part of their forces because they were likely to operate far from Warp Tainted areas and in these areas the Daemons would prove unstable while the Alpha Legion was looking for stability in its assets (cc. W40k wikia). That said, I see the Alpha Legion using every tool available to get the job done (and thus being one of the most paradoxically tolerant Marines ever), so they wouldn't feel bad about fielding a relatively select Daemon units on the battlefield would they ?

On a completely side note, today was the day I bought my first Chaos models on top of the Dark Vengeance set, and I feel disturbingly good about assembling them, much more than when I expanded my loyalist army tongue.png The temptation of Chaos is awesome ! biggrin.png

______

On a more relevant topic, I've read that the Alpha Legion was relatively wary of using Daemons as part of their forces because they were likely to operate far from Warp Tainted areas and in these areas the Daemons would prove unstable while the Alpha Legion was looking for stability in its assets (cc. W40k wikia). That said, I see the Alpha Legion using every tool available to get the job done (and thus being one of the most paradoxically tolerant Marines ever), so they wouldn't feel bad about fielding a relatively select Daemon units on the battlefield would they ?

Well, there might very well be Daemons around in the battle but most likely it's a local cult coven that has summoned them and provide the needed warp connections to maintain their stability. Wherever the Alpha legion operates, corrupted or non-corrupted, they employ the locals in their plans...willing or not...and those locals can can provide for things like astartes cannot, or would not...like sacrifice...

As an example of daemons in the realspace, in the first battle for Armageddon Angron needed to build temples to maintain his daemonic horde when the warpstorm receeded...so it's very possible for the locals to create an infrastructure for maintaining a daemonic presence with faith and sacrifices...

______

Well, there might very well be Daemons around in the battle but most likely it's a local cult coven that has summoned them and provide the needed warp connections to maintain their stability. Wherever the Alpha legion operates, corrupted or non-corrupted, they employ the locals in their plans...willing or not...and those locals can can provide for things like astartes cannot, or would not...like sacrifice...

As an example of daemons in the realspace, in the first battle for Armageddon Angron needed to build temples to maintain his daemonic horde when the warpstorm receeded...so it's very possible for the locals to create an infrastructure for maintaining a daemonic presence with faith and sacrifices...

Thanks man for the insight ! I am very new to Chaos lore, and as I like to have relatively fluffy armies I wanted to justify my Alpha Legion army using a squad of Oblits, a squad of Spawns and a Maulerfiend along their more "standard" Astartes and Cultist units :)

As said previously the Alpha Legion is very reliant on the local population  whenever they want to invade or destroy a target so the use of Oblits could totally be justified by the presence of a few cults that Venerate the Holy Avatars of War that are the Obliterators and were able to bring them in realspace!

Though in the process a few of the cultists attracted the attention of someone high enough to reward them with additionnal tentacles tooth, misplaces eyes and tongues....and you now got yourself a few spawns :)

Also, the Obliterators are not the most demonic daemons if I may say so. Obliterators are the result of a virus melting the host and his weapons and armor, so if you want you can justify that they are Terminator Battle Brothers of the Alpha Legion that contracted the Virus somewhere and now serve their Legion with their new assets!

As said previously the Alpha Legion is very reliant on the local population whenever they want to invade or destroy a target so the use of Oblits could totally be justified by the presence of a few cults that Venerate the Holy Avatars of War that are the Obliterators and were able to bring them in realspace!

Though in the process a few of the cultists attracted the attention of someone high enough to reward them with additionnal tentacles tooth, misplaces eyes and tongues....and you now got yourself a few spawns smile.png

Also, the Obliterators are not the most demonic daemons if I may say so. Obliterators are the result of a virus melting the host and his weapons and armor, so if you want you can justify that they are Terminator Battle Brothers of the Alpha Legion that contracted the Virus somewhere and now serve their Legion with their new assets!

That would make sense indeed, I see the Alpha Legion either hiring Obliterator Cults or making Obliterators of their own, and I wouldn't be surprised if Legionaires would sacrifice themselves to make Obliterators if the Legion needed it smile.png

For Maulerfiends/Spawns, I could definitely see the AL using failed Cultist Champions that turned into Spawns as hounds, while the Maulerfiend could be an unnatural melding of beast, metal and daemon soul :p

If you need an alternative fluff route for the Engines of Chaos in General it is highly possible that some Alpha Legion boss (Alpharius, Alpharius or maybe even High commander Alpharius himself) decided allying or hiring some Dark Mechanicus mercenaries in exchange for the souls of all the natives of "Insert random Hive city name here" to feed their forges.

Alpharius does not care for these mortals as long as the objective is achieved.

Hydra Dominatus!

______

Ahem. Did you know that Farsight Enclave Tau can take crisis suits as troops? Why is this important? Do you like Autocannons but don't want to have to camp to use them? At the miniscule price of less than a unit of chosen, you can have 3 crisis suits with 2 missile pods each. That's 12 s7ap4 shots with a 36in range to allow your boys to 'close the gap'.

Not to mention that succulent riptide though. We may not be able to get a Knight-or proper Imperial guard backup...but we can have some of the strongest firepower in the game at our hands.

______

Ahem. Did you know that Farsight Enclave Tau can take crisis suits as troops? Why is this important? Do you like Autocannons but don't want to have to camp to use them? At the miniscule price of less than a unit of chosen, you can have 3 crisis suits with 2 missile pods each. That's 12 s7ap4 shots with a 36in range to allow your boys to 'close the gap'.

Not to mention that succulent riptide though. We may not be able to get a Knight-or proper Imperial guard backup...but we can have some of the strongest firepower in the game at our hands.

Are you suggesting to ally with Tau ? Aren't they better barbecued ? tongue.png

Allying is an interesting suggestion to keep in mind and it would fit the Alpha Legion relatively well :) I am more of a mono dex guy myself, but I'll keep considering it :)

Archived