Gargantuan Dark Angels? !

Prot

So a few things have come to light from the Eldar that we know are not rumour... they are facts.

1. The Wraithknight is becoming Gargantuan

2. The Wraithknight and Eldar overall are gaining more access to D weapons.

The implications of this against Dark Angels seem big. Obviously I think poison is pretty gross as it limits the effectiveness of units you pay big points for. I've played my Ravenwing recently against a Dark Eldar army and it's really ugly paying points for toughness 5 in bikes, and even terminators only to see those little pointy eared hobbits wounding everything ona 4+ regardless.... Gargantuan helps ensure that it's still 6+.

The D-weapon has been turned down in 7th but I still think it becoming more available makes terminators even less attractive than they already are.

In a nutshell, this makes a great xenos army, even better (though we don't know all the details, such as cost).

But the reason I bring this up is to suggest that this is a significant indicator that yet again, GW is moving this game further along from our 90's 'skirmish' game to a giant, apocalyptic hoe-down. We've seen flyers go from odd ball unit, to very common. We've seen Super Heavies go from Forgeworld, to Citadel, to making it into regular force orgs.

So I got to thinking, if this is the next step, and GW being GW, wouldn't it make sense for all marines to start accessing their own Gargantuan item? Right now it is heavily suggested that in a competitive environment, Astartes ally up with Knights. Most of the xenos appear to do fine on their own. But what if GW started giving specific Astartes their own options?

What do you think Dark Angels would have for a Gargantuan option?

This would be sad but you are probably right.

I'd much rather they make the tiny Watchers in the Dark / Jawa model have some cool rules like some type D-weapon strength attack or maybe some massive psychic shield that could protect an entire fortress during an orbital bombardment / warp storm.

Why shouldn't they actually chip in and help out for a change... instead of just carrying swords and helmets around. Lazy lil bastids that they are. msn-wink.gif

What do you think Dark Angels would have for a Gargantuan option?

After some more thought it would be cool if the Lion wakes up.

GW starts bringing back the Primarchs into 40k and is buffing each new codex in ridiculously futile attempt to balance the game.

ok maybe a that's a stretch. I'll go back to my lunch, picturing watchers in the dark kick' censored.gif like yoda did in one of those horrible star wars prequels.

this change from skirmish game to gi-joe/megazoids/insert random giant toy here, was the main reason i droped from 40k all together and from 6 quite large armies (dark angels, iron warriors, sisters, of battle, necrons, tyranids, imp guard), plus a few fun projects (angry marines, adeptus custodes, legion of the damned) i only have the dark angels and iron warriors left and im seriously considering getting rid of the later. only my fanboyism for the DA has made them immune to this purge, and even so i only touch them to paint models for the ETL events.

rant aside and back on topic, i cant really see anything "gargantuan" to fit with the astartes. it just does not go with their doctrine (fluff wise of course).

but thinking better on it and gw being gw, they would probably sell a plastic kit of the prow of a strike cruiser and allow players to use orbital bombardments every turndry.png

Our go-to big gun fire support are Thunderhawks, then as members of the Imperium we are meant to use Imperial Guard, Knights and Titans for fighting the other stuff. Our (Astartes in general) Lords of war are Chapter Commanders, they get to tell other Imperial forces what to do, theirs are the Big,Bigger and Biggest Guns.

I can't see any reason to change that fluff, GW may change things up but I doubt it. Allies are a thing.

The upscaling of 40K, while opening up more play options, does bum me out a bit because it removes the focus away from the core iconic units that define each army, the actual troops, be they space marines, guardsmen, dark elder kabalites, etc. It bothers me when I see lists posted that are supposedly SPACE MARINES!!! and end up having just some token scout unit in the corner to make room for more flyers, walkers, tanks, etc. It just takes something away from the flavor of the game. I also don't like that as a result you end up with lists that can/will just remove whole units of these guys at a clip. I guess I  just enjoy a game where "I beat your rock with my rock" rather than "My paper wipes out your rock HAHAHAHAH!"

Personally I don't understand why it has been made gargantuan, only one army pumps out poison for fun, and surely the DE would know how to cripple their kin anyhow. Its like they don't want it to have any weaknesses...

It is to escalate the game.... like I said we've gone from 'skirmishes' to flyers, to super heavies, sprinkle in fortifications.... this is the next step.

I foresee a great Gargantuan Dark Angel unit. It will be magnificent, and green. It will be towed upon the battlefield by giant speeders. And when the Lion issues the command, a great Tree of Caliban shall stand tall with 9 wounds, and be a Gargantuan. It will 'spit' D-weapon trees 24" in any direction... and it will lay down the xenos with great ease.... until the new Tau come out, with a giant fish-like Gargantuan robot that comes with a D-weapon chainsaw to chop us down... and so it goes, on and on.

Honestly, I don't know what it would be. Perhaps a play on the machine spirit, making a mighty relic Calibanian Landraider with 6 Hullpoints and D-weapon sponsons? A special "It Will Not Die from Caliban" giving it a 5+ invuln, and 5+ hullpoint/repair feature... who knows what it will be, but I just see the way GW has been going the past few years, I just see this another mechanism for escalating warfare.

I don't think escalating the game is a good idea, honestly.  Play Apocalypse if that's what you like.  I prefer squad-based conflict that focuses on troops.

Heck, I don't even use Drop Pods because I don't want to have to get a separate case to transport them.

Our go-to big gun fire support are Thunderhawks...

From your mouth to GW's ears!  Plastic Thunderhawk? Yes, please!  Load that sucker up with multi-melta Dreadnouhghts, fly it up close, then disembark, shoot, and then assault with Str 10 powerfists.  Stuff will die.  Either that, or release a general use space marine "titan killer" tank.  Not every army needs to have some sort of big Walker thing that smacks stuff around in close combat.  Last I checked, the game had these things called "guns" in it. Dark Angels  (and other armies) could instead use some of those to kill big stuff.

I tend to agree with those who have identified the Thunderhawk and who have stated that the 40k concept of Space Marines wouldn't really fit giant, slow tanks. That said, the DA and their successors could perhaps be legitimately be given access to remaining Legio era tech which is only used in cases of the utmost necessity.

The primary weapon for the Marines should continue to be the marines themselves.

Of course, that is if the concept of the game isn't altered as Prot suggests.

Or they'll make a space marine wearing power wearing centurian armor wearing juggernaut armor wearing apocalypse armor, and it will be armed with clobber fists and guns with guns on their guns on their guns on their guns.  With a searchlight.

Or they'll make a space marine wearing power wearing centurian armor wearing juggernaut armor wearing apocalypse armor, and it will be armed with clobber fists and guns with guns on their guns on their guns on their guns. With a searchlight.

The lack of smoke launchers is appaling. ph34r.png

Jokes aside I don't think we will get a gargantuan creature or super heavy vehicle. At most we will get something like a unit or a flyer with D strength Bombs or something like it. Marines are too boxed in some concepts and you can't get such things as easily as xenos can.

Or they'll make a space marine wearing power wearing centurian armor wearing juggernaut armor wearing apocalypse armor, and it will be armed with clobber fists and guns with guns on their guns on their guns on their guns. With a searchlight.

The lack of smoke launchers is appaling. ph34r.png

Jokes aside I don't think we will get a gargantuan creature or super heavy vehicle. At most we will get something like a unit or a flyer with D strength Bombs or something like it. Marines are too boxed in some concepts and you can't get such things as easily as xenos can.

Maybe the Dark Talon gets a strength D bomb now so they can sell all those unused neph/DT kits and DV expansions sitting on shelves. I wish I was saying this sarcastically, but its probably 50/50 at this point.

Hmm ... so the 'Giantwing' might be another name to add to our gallery of, err, wings <_<.

Actually not for me. But I'll happily pick up any tool we're thrown to kill these things. That is the Space Marine way isn't it?

Cheers

I

We just need a man portable weapon that can reliably take care of Gargantuan critters, exo-tech goodness. The Space Marine might be the weapon like Gillyfish says, but they need to be armed with the best and most appropriate tools for the job. Vortex grenades for example anyone?

I seem to recall playing with vortex grenades in 2nd (but I was a kid and probably 'cheating'...); I thought they were awesome then, but now worry about them backfiring and eating a whole DWK squad by 'mistake'.

Some kind of gunship that can dump 20 or so marines exactly where you want them would work for me - especially if it can bomb a hoard to bits on the way through!

We just need a man portable weapon that can reliably take care of Gargantuan critters, exo-tech goodness. The Space Marine might be the weapon like Gillyfish says, but they need to be armed with the best and most appropriate tools for the job. Vortex grenades for example anyone?

Don't forget we have a bomber (the only SM codex with one iirc). Why stop at vortex grenades when we could have the dark talon take vortex bombs!

Archived