Black Templar WIP Crusade

sibomots

Templars do not adhere to the Codex Astartes, which is the book of standards for Space Marines, they use it as a mere guideline and reference if they ever need it. The 'Squad insignia on the left Shoulder Pad' idea came from the Codex, and since Templars don't essentially follow it, then you could put Crosses or scripts, or even a freehand art.

GW isn't necessarily phasing out BT, maybe BT just isn't selling as much as before, or maybe they are rearing up before Forge World releases Sigismund and Rogal Dorn, then they are going to release Supplements or model upgrades for Black Templars.

Some just use the hobby knife to scrape off the mold lines in the ribs, or use the back of the blade to press the mold lines down into the ribs... some scrape off the ridges completely leaving it a flat area. Depends on what your taste is really...

This hobby is majority creativity, you could make up your own Crusader Badge, which is the symbol of the Crusade you are on, or use an already existing Crusade Badge, denoting that you are fighting one of the many Crusades from the 4th ed. book. As far as I know, only Forge World has specific Black Templar decals that has Crusade Badges and names on it... but other than that, we pretty much just freehand Crusade Badges.

You can find some Crusade Badge designs from this link: The Eternal Crusader which could inspire you.

As far as I know, eye lens color does not matter, I've seen red eye lens (which is pretty common), green (which is not as common), blue (which is a little rare) and even Yellow (which I've seen only once in my local GW store).

The only advise I could give you brother is that do not worry... we're all still learning, and with every new paint that GW and other co. release, we need to learn new techniques, get new equipment and repaint the same old models again and again and again... for short: do not fret, you're not alone in learning this... we're all on the same boat Gunship ;)

Nothing against OP but two pages and no actual "Work in Progress". Many of the questions in this thread belong over in the General PCA Questions subforum. The WIP section is for the showing of modeling progress.

Me thinks you should have a closer read through the thread. rolleyes.gif

Anyway, Rouj and Andrew covered most of your questions. One thing I would note about a Crusade symbol, though: you don't have to have one. My Crusade has no fluff behind it, and I just paint whatever heraldry I fancy on a model to model basis. Templars wear the heraldry of their current Crusade, but they also wear the symbols of Crusades they've fought in the past.

Status on the army:

All the models I intended to build at this phase are assembled.*

I have put together:

Landraider Crusader

Razorback

basic Dreadnought.

Chaplain

Emperor's Champion

16 Black Templar Initiates (primed and based; some partially painted)

I'm past the phase of staring at boxes and moving to the phase of painting the models to completion.

*The arms, weapons and such are still being sorted out so the poses work.  I have 30 arms/heads to choose and weapon selections to make.  After reviewing the bits in the BT Upgrade kit (which I'm thankful to have before assembling the vehicles), I am leaning towards giving more chainswords to some of the Initiates *grin*

Photos and descriptions will come later.  I've been working mostly on getting the models fashioned and easier to work with.

At the age of 46, I've noticed that my painting hand is not as steady as I wished it was.  I just have a little shake I cannot make go away so there'll be some mistakes I cannot avoid (as much as I try).

But when it comes to tools, I'm pretty good at burr removal, and preparing the plastic for priming.  My unofficial mentor (@Firepower) should be pleased.  I'm already quite excited actually about how this army is coming together. When I see them all on the table, I mutter phrases that I recollect.  My favorite is the voice of Sauron to Saruman "Build me an army worthy of Mordor".

In the days between getting time to build, I re-read the rules and fluff to get motivation and ideas.  I also made a three ring binder of 30-40 pictures downloaded off the net of various BT units to provide hints, ideas and inspiration.

At the age of 46, I've noticed that my painting hand is not as steady as I wished it was.  I just have a little shake I cannot make go away so there'll be some mistakes I cannot avoid (as much as I try).

Try painting with your wrists held together.  Or you can try painting with the pinky of your brush hand on the base of the model.  Both can work wonders for steadying a hand.  Mine isn't so steady either, so I use similar techniques to brace it.

• 2 weeks later...

Will about the shake in your hand you may be S o o l. Male nerves are wired differently, we all have a constant hum in the lines so to speak. Women don't for some reason.

Tho cultural disinclined, women are better suited to fine detail and control tasks such as marksmanship, tig welding, and painting for example...

Sorry way off topic,

Curious to see your progress as I'm just about done assembling my reinforcements myself and about to start painting...

The deal with the Dreadnought was really a happy accident.

I had primed it with my airbrush and set it down to dry.  I have a full spectrum bulb in my desk lamp for helping with picture taking.

The Dreadnought was near the light, not close, but about 9 inches or so.  I turned my back to do something for 5 minutes and when I went to admire the finish of the paint I was horrified at what I saw.  The top of the Dreadnought had melted a bit and some of the plastic shrunk, a few cavities appeared on top -- just as if it was hit by a plasma weapon <insert Toy Story moment>  "Did you just get hit by a Xenos attack?"

No, but it was really messed up.

A thought occurred to me -- just put "patches" on it like it had been serviced by a Techmarine squad.  So I rolled out some GreenStuff, and blobbed it on top and then two days later got the Dremel out and began to shape it smooth and flat.  Filed it down, knifed it square and then put rivets on top (actual rivets from the bins in my shop).  Then re-primed it (very far away from any lamp!)

The result is a good story if nothing else.

The Dreadnought was from the Assault on Black Reach starter set I picked up a few years ago.  So from the Templar upgrade kit, I found the Templar face plate.  After I took the picture, I milled off the front of the Dreadnought, and placed a new front piece.

A few lessons learned --

Don't place models near lamps.

Starter kits are fine, but it's always better to start with kits and have the BT upgrade parts on hand before assembly.

Dremel RPM is way too fast for drilling barrels.  Best to use a drill press on low RPM. (The high speed will create too much friction and thus heat, melting the plastic and not drill correctly).

On the other hand, cordless Dremel is a great tool for re-shaping contours that need to be milled off (like the stock right shoulder pads on Terminators to attach BT pads).

As I do the last spot checking for de-buring the figures prior to their painting schemes I will do things differently next time.

As I've re-established my workstation at home to model per advice here,  I'm going to find time only on the weekends to finish this batch of Initiates. Then, I'll study pictures of vehicles I've compiled for color schemes and effects for painting the vehicles.

Seeing how the Titans play a role in the Helsreach novel (just 1/3 way through the book), I will wait until the end of the story before unpacking the Imperial Knight Crusader model and give it a long study before painting.

Thanks.

Throne, I think I messed up.  I put too many chainswords AND bolters on the Initiates.

++= Contemplative Master Sibomotus tapped the glyphs on the ancient ThinkusPadus and analyzed the results of the Force Organization Chart.  "Swap Bolter for Chainsword? This is the work of Witches!"

Throne, I think I messed up. I put too many chainswords AND bolters on the Initiates.

++= Contemplative Master Sibomotus tapped the glyphs on the ancient ThinkusPadus and analyzed the results of the Force Organization Chart. "Swap Bolter for Chainsword? This is the work of Witches!"

I'm guilty of the same thing brother. Just put pistol holsters on those marines, and a gun strap or two and say to your opponent-- they're out of bolter ammo and are switching to pistols. I doubt they'll raise a stink about it.

Archived