Combat Patrol....

Theduke08

Greetings brothers!

There is a combat patrol coming up at my local gaming establishment.

The rules are as follows...

Armies will consist of 500 points or less, and must be constructed utilizing ONE of the following options:
0-1 Modified Combined Arms Detachment:
0-1 HQ
1-6 Troops
0-1 Elite
0-1 Fast Attack
0-1 Heavy Support
All Troops in this Detachment gain the ‘Objective Secure’ special rule.
0-1 Unique Codex Detachment

Im struggling to put together a list... I know for sure that I will have a unit of DC with Jump packs and a power fist and that about as far as ive gotten...  Any suggestions would be appreciated!

This may benefit from the Flesh Tearers Strike Force, but it'll depend on what else you plan to take.  At this point level, you may get a lot of mileage out of Tacticals for your Troops choice, though you could go bargain with minimum Scouts and save points to upgrade your DC or take a tank or two (Vanquisher could be a boss).

I'm a big fan of this style of game. If you get a good board set-up with lots of terrain (especially LOS-blocking terrain), the jump pack dc will be a big threat.

Are there any other restrictions? No heavy vehicles or anything? It is on a 4x4 or 4x6 board?

I think you'll get a lot of mileage out of attack bikes. Multi-meltas can hurt most things, and they're fast enough to get into range T1 on a smaller board (when we played combat patrol it was a 4x4 board).

As for troops, you could stick with the minimum scouts, or try for heavy flamer squads in rhinos or razorbacks. 5 men with a heavy flamer is still pretty cheap and can throw out decent firepower against other weaker troops.

I also did quite well with a squad of ML devastators, as the missiles worked well against the lightly-armored enemies (since there were no AV12 vehicles allowed in our event). Though your mileage may vary, and if you really like the DC you should stick with that!

There should be a fair amount of terrain...  and the tables are 4x4.

There a few restrictions such as nothing with more than 2w and no armor greater than 12.

Im thinking about the Baal detachment for to I boost.  I kicking around the idea of 2 min scout squads, jump dc with a libby. Plus a Ml devastator squad.  Could be fun.

We did some 250 point games last Sunday, i had a blast playing close combat scouts. One of the units had a barebones powersword libby with quickening. Libby was my MVP, the scouts did pretty well. Tacticals were somewhat boring, but they got the job done. None of the units had any upgrades.. Next game we ran 250 unbound, took 10DC, but was less entertaining. I recommend going for many bodies, just my 2 cents.

I think ive got my list put together

Libby w/Jump pack and force sword

5DC w/Jump packs 1 Power fist

2x5 CC scouts, sarg with power sword and melta bombs

5 Dev, 4 missile launchers.

I might tweek it a little but im pretty sure this is what im going with.

You might get more mileage from a Chaplain instead of the Libby, though it really depends on the power you roll up.  As for the Devastators, they're a solid setup for this points level but I can't help feeling like a Predator or Vindicator might be a more durable/mobile choice.

I dont know if id have the points for a Chappy...  would be cutting it very close.  The restrictions are to 1 WC powers only so thats what I would be limited too.

Probably not worth the trouble of taking a Libby if you can only cast Lv1 powers.

Maybe a Priest to buff your troops?

You might get more mileage from a Chaplain instead of the Libby, though it really depends on the power you roll up. As for the Devastators, they're a solid setup for this points level but I can't help feeling like a Predator or Vindicator might be a more durable/mobile choice.

No vehicles above av 12...

I dont know if id have the points for a Chappy...  would be cutting it very close.  The restrictions are to 1 WC powers only so thats what I would be limited too.

Probably not worth the trouble of taking a Libby if you can only cast Lv1 powers.

Maybe a Priest to buff your troops?

BA primaris is quite strong in kill teams. 

Archived