Curious about BA and Suicide Melta

CatSmasher

Hello Brother Angels,

CatSmasher here from the Aett over at the Space Wolves forum and I had a question for you guys.

I've heard that there is a great combo for cheap melta suicide teams for drop pods. Can someone loosely explain how this works (unit, upgrades)? I don't need to know the points or special rules, but I'm considering BA as allies for my wolves, mostly becuase I find the BA extra cool.

Any help or tips for building some BA to accent my Space Wolves

Assault Marines can ditch their jump packs and get a free drop pod. In a 5-man squad you can take two melta guns plus the sarge can have a combi-melta. Leave the other guys and the pod without upgrades and you've got a cheap powerful unit you can reliably drop next to an expensive unit turn 1. Take three and two drop turn 1.

I've had success with it - blew up a lascannon predator before it got a chance to move :)

Edit: Ninja'd :)

Two pistols is another option but I find it handy tool have all the melta shots the same range.

There was an increase in the cost of my combi-melta alpha strike, and I've got about 7000pts of space wolves and hoping to branch out. This sounds like a way better way to run a suicide alpha.

I'm also really digging the idea of Murderfang (assault heavy dred) in one of your fliers since I've seen that they can carry dread chasis

Yeah I run ASM of 5 men with two marines with melta guns and upgrade the Serg to a Vet serg and he can get two inferno pistols giving him the gunslinger rule (2 melta shots instead of one) and put them in a drop pod find some enemy armor and slag it

Why upgrade him to a Veteran Sergeant?

Yeah I run ASM of 5 men with two marines with melta guns and upgrade the Serg to a Vet serg and he can get two inferno pistols giving him the gunslinger rule (2 melta shots instead of one) and put them in a drop pod find some enemy armor and slag it

As a vet sergeant he can dual wield the pistols to my understanding he cant dual wield as a regular sergeant

As a vet sergeant he can dual wield the pistols to my understanding he cant dual wield as a regular sergeant

All that a Veteran Sergeant upgrade does if give the Sergeant a Veteran Statline. Weapon options, etc, are the same for both types of Sergeant :)

Yep, it can work well.  Pretty cheap.  However, tactically, you don't want to waste the guys!  You need to get confident you are either getting a 1:1 trade (such as taking down a Stalker or predator).  Arguably, it is best to try to pod onto an objective that is close enough for the Melta guys and their target, to get a two-for-one.  If you commonly play vs hordes / infantry heavy opponents, deathwind upgrades to the pod can be both a distraction and boon vs your opponent's backfield.  

My ideal alpha has a Bliz\dred (Vendread with Invul sheild) And something small (pts) with anit vehicle/mc punch. I think it will force a tough choice. I think for this case the pistols will be better because of the potential on the next turn.  

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I will pick up the codex this week I think and try to put a few lists for your advice.

Ditto. Plus if you run Dante somewhere in there he gives Decent of Angels so that's icing on the cake for a Vet sergeant with 6" infernus pistols x2. I ran this last match and it ended up being one of the main reasons I tabled my Tau opponent by my second turn.

My ideal alpha has a Bliz\dred (Vendread with Invul sheild) And something small (pts) with anit vehicle/mc punch. I think it will force a tough choice. I think for this case the pistols will be better because of the potential on the next turn.  

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I will pick up the codex this week I think and try to put a few lists for your advice.

A few days ago I saw a "Meltacide" unit with a twist; instead of two inferno pistols the Sergeant had one inferno pistol and one grav pistol. As these are the same points and you're looking for something that will potentially harm MCs too, this may work for you.

Ditto. Plus if you run Dante somewhere in there he gives Decent of Angels so that's icing on the cake for a Vet sergeant with 6" infernus pistols x2. I ran this last match and it ended up being one of the main reasons I tabled my Tau opponent by my second turn.

Descent of Angels will not work on a Drop Pod as it is neither a Jump Unit or Skimmer. So the above advice will only work if the Assault Squad keeps its Jump Packs and thus, delaying its arrival until turn two at the earliest...

A few days ago I saw a "Meltacide" unit with a twist; instead of two inferno pistols the Sergeant had one inferno pistol and one grav pistol. As these are the same points and you're looking for something that will potentially harm MCs too, this may work for you.

Aside from the extended range, I am not sure a Grav pistols will outperform the inferno pistol against most MCs.  MCs usually tote a 3+ armour save so unless it is T8 or higher, the inferno pistol is as good or equal to the grav pistol. The Wraithknight and Wraithlord are examples where the Grav pistol outperforms the inferno but I cannot think of many others. Also the Grav pistol only affects vehicles on a 6 which dilutes the unit's effectiveness vs armoured targets.

The real strength of most Grav weapons is their volume of fire (3 shots for the grav gun and 5 for the cannon if stationary or mounted on a relentless platform). This is why the pistol is underwhelming to me. It is a single shot and rarely outperforms inferno pistol.

Jol - that's why i'm running it ^_^ 
The majority of the time Melta is better, but its for those times you need to hit heavy MCs and hard troops, rather than vehicles.  Id rather wound a knight/lord on 3s than 4s! 

And the concussive is then just gravy!! 

Archived