New to BA, not new to 40k

Hey guys, I've been a long time admirer of the Sons of Sanguinius. Since I'm more or less happy with my Black Templars and my Space Marines in general, I thought about branching out over here. So i have a codex and I have some ideas of my own already, but I wanted to consult with people who know more than I do. What are some good resources or tips you may have for a Blood Angels' noob? Articles, advice, good combos to work from, I am all ears! 

As far as resources, this forum is actually a phenomenal spot to start.  I think, bias factored in and compensated for, that it's the premier BA spot to go to.

As for the army, there's a lot we can do and even more so depending on how lenient your group is on FW and datasheets or formations etc. 

As with many marines, we play in a variety of ways.  So, rather than saying XYZ is powerful for BA, go there!, i would consider what suits your playstyle. Where is your aesthetic and what type of game do you like to enjoy.  

That way you can build from the ground up.  

If you subscribe to the idea of concentrated competitive play, then pure BA are not really regarded as "top tier" (i'm not a firm believer of the tier idea, but that's a different story) -but even so, they're hardy enough and have enough unique flavour and ability to hold their own. 

Keep us in the loop as to what you're keen on.

There’s a few "typical" Blood Angels themes:

All jumpers; Jump Pack HQ, Dante, 2x scouts, Jump Pack Death Company, Jump Pack Sang Guard, Jump Pack Assault Marines.

The Alpha Strike: HQ of choice, Hammernators in Stormraven, Assault Marines in Drop pods (aka Meltacide), Gravgun bikers, Furiosos in Pods. 

AV 13 Wall: Libbydread, Furioso Dreads, Tacs in rhinos/razors, 3x Vinis/Preds to taste.

Most people take a general mix of the above, but to be honest there isn’t much in our codex that’s unusable (arguably aside from Scout Bikers).

We may not have the most powerful 'dex in the game, but the variety of genuinely playable units and the awesome selection of unique sculpts we get make BA one of the best looking / fluffy armies to bring to the table. Plus the BA forum community rocks. 

As a new player myself I must wholeheartedly endorse B&C as a fantastic resource in general. The army list critiques especially are great: they have certainly helped me better understand unit strengths and weaknesses (such as why Furioso over DC Dreadnought; why Sang Guard over DC depending on the situation).

Another resource I, personally, really like is the Battle Brothers wh40k blog. Though you will have to dig a bit for Chaplain Sam's BA reviews since they have moved onto newer and shinier armies, his competitive background and perspective is invaluable. I never would have ever considered a Vindicator to be "Blood Angel-ly" until he brought up the fact that it wins its points back before the game even starts: the enemy HAS to adjust his deployment strategy to S10 AP2 pie plate with a 36" threat range. That right there is worth it even if it never gets a shot off.

Since BT got folded into the Space Marines I haven't been strictly a BT player. I still play them the majority of the time, but I've begin playing other chapters (mostly White Scars and Iron Hands). When I think of Blood Angels I think of jump units, aggressive in your face style, Mephiston dealing death. I don't consider myself a competitive player at all, even when I enter local tournaments. I get my real jollies out of what I call the "Holy censored.gif Factor". The things that tie together a few turns later to turn the tide in my favor. I think in Blood Angels, the units that will do that which are unique to BA are Dante, Death Company, Sang Guard and I love the idea of pairing Meph with some nasty command squads.

Mephiston and a Command Squad has been discussed quite a bit lately, but with a shooty Command Squad. Using either the Sanguinary table (to boost Mephiston himself or the unit Champion) or Divination. Meltaguns and storm shields are the flavour of the week, add melta bombs to taste. The thing is, this needs a delivery system.

You could have a jump list (RAS, SG, DC) with the above unit arriving via a Stormraven or a Drop Pod. Either way, you could use a screen/distraction and perhaps I could reintroduce you to your Vindicators? Give them Overcharged Engines and they work just like the Templar ones did in their last Codex (but in this case, it's a 12" move prior to firing).

SG aren't the tank unit, nor the hammer; they are the scalpel. 7-8 models, put them where they can win. Add a Banner. DC will cause havoc and you don't need to go overboard on the upgrades for them to be effective.

You can avoid a CAD with this list. A Baal Strike Force (BSF) will be of use and ensure you strike before most other models, while a Flesh Tearers Strike Force (FTSF) enables you to field more RAS then normal.

Jump Command Squads and VAS certainly have a place too.

So I'm scouring the dex and cannot find it...did making jump marines troops get nerfed, or am I not seeing how ti do it?

It's not longer an option. Now, the only jump unit available as Troops is Raphen's Death Company, which is a datasheet found with the Shield of Baal stuff (it can also be googled and many find it to have too many upgrades).

In order to spam jump troops, go for a BSF detachment which has access to 7 slots (3 FA, 4 Elite) or a FTSF detachment (6 FA, 3 Elite, found in Shield of Baal: Exterminatus).

One thing to note, Blood Angels make excellent allies with other marines.  A heavy flamer in the troop section, fast drop pods, and a relatively cheap HQ that gives feel no pain?  Easy to dip your toe in... until the rage takes you and you spray all your other minis Mephiston red and we welcome you with open arms!

Cheers,

-Orogen

In order to spam jump troops, go for a BSF detachment which has access to 7 slots (3 FA, 4 Elite) or a FTSF detachment (6 FA, 3 Elite, found in Shield of Baal: Exterminatus).

The FTSF requires only one troop choice (e.g. Raphen's DC), so you could make an all jumpers list, but the command benefit is weaker (gain rage on a 10+ charge distance roll). BSF cannot do an all jumpers list but they get +1 I on the charge. Making sure that MEQ cannot retaliate in CC is great.

One thing to note, Blood Angels make excellent allies with other marines.  A heavy flamer in the troop section, fast drop pods, and a relatively cheap HQ that gives feel no pain?  Easy to dip your toe in... until the rage takes you and you spray all your other minis Mephiston red and we welcome you with open arms!

Cheers,

-Orogen

I do like the looks of an Archangels Sanguine Wing formation as an ally, maybe that's a good place for me to start.

It depends what you want to do.

We have a lot of good units, not really any stand outs.

All we really lack is beat stick hqs

I personally think our niche now is drop pods.

A tactical squad with a heavy and a normal flamer in a pod is pretty damned scary

Add in assault squads in pods with two melta guns and you have pretty much all your bases covered just there

And our stand out elites, DC, SG, Fury Dreads for the odd MC bashing

Archived