Blood Angels Genealogy

Quixus

I was wondering if all Blood Angels successors (especially those of later Foundings) were made from Legion geneseed or if some of them were made from geneseed of later founding chapters. If so, where can I find information on this? As a starting point is there a comprehensive list of BA successors somewhere?

As far as I can recall, no successors have been descendants of other successors in the BA line. To my knowledge they are either described explicitly as direct offspring of the BA Chapter/Legion or such information hasn't been given yet. 

The original fluff worked like this

In the beginning, there were 20 distinct legions

They were split in to 1000 chapters, who could all Trace there origins to a parent

But after that, new chapters were created differently(mostly).

They don't simply split a chapter in half and create two (mostly)

The tithe is used instead.

A test subject will be implanted with a blood angel progenitor gland

A second test subject with an imperial fist gland.

When they mature, they surgically swap some organs over.

This now means that the test subject progenitor glands will have formed as a hybrid of the blood angels and the imperial fists.

It wouldn't be a successor to either

Here is a link that can be useful:

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Blood_Angels

Thanks, but I have already found that article and didn't find what I was looking for.

As far as I can recall, no successors have been descendants of other successors in the BA line. To my knowledge they are either described explicitly as direct offspring of the BA Chapter/Legion or such information hasn't been given yet.

That's what I found as well.

The original fluff worked like this

In the beginning, there were 20 distinct legions

They were split in to 1000 chapters, who could all Trace there origins to a parent

Yeah that is the 2nd Founding.

The tithe is used instead.

Yes, but they will have tithes from the Blood Angels chapter and all the other 2nd Founding chapters of IX Legion geneseed.

A test subject will be implanted with a blood angel progenitor gland

A second test subject with an imperial fist gland.

When they mature, they surgically swap some organs over.

This now means that the test subject progenitor glands will have formed as a hybrid of the blood angels and the imperial fists.

It wouldn't be a successor to either

Except for the 13th and 21st Foundings I know of no such experiments. What I wanted to know if all Blood Angels successors get progenitor glands from the stock of BA glands or if they also get them from for example Angels Encarmine or even later successors.

I know that I have based my DIY chapter as a successor to the Angels Encarmine. I hope I didn't mess up some sort of canon by doing so.

Nah, unless GW specifically say all BA successors solely come from BA gene seed stocks, I think there's enough leeway in the lore for you to be clear and free on that one.

That's what I figured as well. I just wanted to know if GW had done it already. Besides, when the AdMech sometimes cannot even figure out from which legion the geneseed comes, I doubt they can pinpoint the second founding chapter that kept the legion name.

Wouldn't any gene supplies from a successor inherently be Blood Angels stock anyway. Since their origins are form that same gene seed. The only deviants in that would be mutations or corruption. So for a successor's gene seed to be used it's essentially the same as if it was directly Blood Angels progenitor glands being used. 

not necessarily. Blood Angels offspring chapter Bob. Chapter Bob's geneseed line starts to diverge from the original line due to separation/mutation/evolution/whatever you want and develops its own new idiosyncrasies. Biscopea becomes less able to self-regulate muscle growth but one of the other organs adapts slightly to make up for this deficiency (lets say the mucranoid starts to have to cross-relate with the oolitics kidneys more to excrete the unwanted waste-products caused by the slightly malfunctioning biscopea.

Now maybe that biscopea malfunction simply results in slighty stronger-than-average marines, but they are more chemical-dependant and require more chem-therapy during their lives (all marines require 'some' intermittent chem and hypno treatments to balance their bodies metabolism/new organs/etc anyway, these guys just need it every 6 months instead of every year for example).

Now any offspring from these guys (new chapter Terry) will need to have the same mucranoid and oolitic kidneys as Chapter Bob otherwise their malfunctioning biscopea will have no adapted self-regulator organ and will probably turn them into giant muscle-lumps and tear apart their bodies as the muscle grows badly/wrong....

does that help?

Leonaides I see what you're saying but that only due to mutation in certain organs. The whole gene stock would not have changed as to whom the original bloodline started. The OP's question is if all Blood Angels Successors are from the gene stock of Sanguinius, the answer is yes. Even if a Successor's gene stock was used in creation of another sub successor the blood line still traces to the original donor, aka Sanguinius. It would be like one of my three sons going off an starting a family. They are their own entity but i started that blood line, and only thru my father's-father's blood that started that  ... . 
Essentially the genealogy with Warhammer 40K lore is that each chapter has a root origin within that Primarchs of the original 20 legions. If the chapter has an "unknown" gene stock its cause they choose to expunge that info from the Admin on Terra. Should a chapter have any deviancy in their gene pool collection then that's their own flaw. but it doesn't make them their own primogentor. 
So the answer to Quixus question is yes, all successor of the Blood Angels use the same gene seed. And even if a successor made a sub-successor chapter of their own, they are still sons of Sanguinius and there for, are all the same in the eyes of the blood line trail. 

You misread my post. I wanted to know if all successors' gene seed comes from BA directly or whether it comes to them via a successor. It was never a question that they can all trace their lineage back to Sanguinius.

Archived