Need a hammer for my Ravenwing

3DJutsu

I'm looking for a hammer to add to my Ravenwing list. Black Knights are a given, all the time, every time but if you already consider them a hammer then I need an anvil. Something I can throw onto the opponents biggest, baddest thingamajig and stomp it flat. Failing that I need it to tarpit their Deathstar or Beatstick Lord.

I'm trying to decide between:

+++ DWCS (Champ, Medic, x2 TH/SS, PC/CF, DW Banner) lead by an IntChap (re-rolls in 1st round; 3A, 3W; MoR; looks like a boss)

+++ "                                                                                                   " a Librarian (Psychic powers allow me to re-roll after 1st round or potentially be Invisible; Force weapon shenanigans; not as tough, beaty, or boss as IntChap though; better Invul save thanks to Displacer field or Blinding Invul save through Conversion Field)

+++ DW Termies same as above

+++ DWCS or DW Knights on their own and have the HQ on bike with my Knights and will have similar loadouts. This gives my IntChap the ability to use his re-rolls multiple times thanks to Hit & Run or my Librarian to prescience my RWGLs to better gurantee that Stasis/Rad Shell.

I can only take one since my Ravenwing list requires Sammy to be in it, and I don't think I can spare the points for a Crusader so they'd have to DWA onto the battlefield (which has its own pros and cons).

So I present this question to you my fellow Ravenwing, what's YOUR hammer? Are Black Knights up to the CC Monster task? Or can the Deathwing do it better? Or am I just trying to convince myself that my Army needs to use Termies and can do fine competetively without them?

You're running into a problem that I think everyone finds out eventually. If you play in a competitive meta, you need a CC breaker.

There's 2 ways I advise handling this:

1: Create your anti-death star / Monster killer.

2: Live and BREATHE the art of Hit and Run.

Both work. I've been... (ashamed to admit) out assaulted by Dark Eldar!!!! Hit and Run has saved my bacon so many times you have no idea. Just gotta roll low which is my bread and butter in life.

Anyway as far as number 1 - I've tried a lot of things, even combining some pods into Ravenwing with a Dread pod too.... I think at the end of the day, this kind of sucks because of the points, but I'm going to say the best success I have is with a Vanilla Deathwing Terminator squad.

The squad can DS in off your bikes for no scatter right after you scout. The squad can shoot and if you have the points the Cyclone is good to help with what the Ravenwing lack: range. Try to take 2 hammer shields.

Alternatively my 'favorite' but slightly lacking unit is the Deathwing Knights. Such cool models, and rules, but I've had these guys stuck against garbage sometimes because of the lack of AP after you used up Smite.

BUT that being said I've been using them again lately because of the all the monsters/knights/etc coming from the warp hole lately. I believe GW is trying to force us towards fielding more of these superheavies or gargantuan creatures. The Deathwing Knights might be the best equipped in the codex right now.

Again, probably the best is vanilla termies because of flexibility. That Cyclone is really nice and added dakka.

Personally, I find an 8 man Deathwing Knight squad will survive any hate thrown at it, and still have the manpower to break most deathstars. Wolfstars, centurions, daemon princes, it works wherever. Best thing is, the lack of mobility is made up for by choosing whether they auto come in first or second turn, and your ravenwing heavy list lets them land wherever you need them.

Well I can't seem to find the points anywhere, that or I'm too stubborn to give them up so I guess my 2000pt list will have to take Prots advice and start living and breathing the art of Hit 'n Run.

16 Black Knights should be sufficient to the task, right?

RWCS with Fortitude and RWGL

RWCS with Company Banner and RWGL

6 Strong Black Knight Squad, 2  GL and MBs.

Have you considered the lowly land speeder?

I've found that if you have enough the fire power they put out generally takes the wind out of a Death Stars sails.

If you run all of the speeders from you RWASs in support of one another they'll have the same fire power as a RWSS without the liability of being able to be removed by a single dev squad.

Just an alternative that works well for me.

While they might, I need a presence of my own on the battlefield that my opponent simply can NOT ignore. Prefferably something to take attention away from my BKs and survive the process.

Which is why I think I'm going to stick with my Int-chap and his DWCS retinue. They simultaneously have a high threat level that can't be ignored while also having 'deal with it' scribbled on their banner. Not quite the 'Threat level: OH DAMN' of a full squad of DW Termies, but gotta be stingy on dem points.

Archived