New Assassin novella

THE STORY

Darkness is rising on Achyllus Prime. Severin Drask, sorcerer lord of the Crimson Slaughter Chaos Space Marines, works to harness the power of the Temple of Shades and unleash a tide of daemons upon the Imperium. All that stands against him is an Execution Force of the Officio Assassinorum, four Imperial Assassins – Vindicare, Callidus, Eversor and Culexus –who must set aside their distrust and fight as one if they are to kill Drask and thwart his evil plan.

READ IT BECAUSE

A fractious alliance of Imperial Assassins is only called upon in the rarest and most dire of circumstances. When the forces of Chaos threaten to tear a hole in the galaxy, only an elite Execution Force can prevent it. This is the first time you get a look into the heads of the four assassins and see all of their exotic technological spy gear in action.

http://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-40000/execution-force-hardback.html

Pre-order also available in E-book and MP3

EDIT:

Ok firstly that "Read it because" is wrong in the sense that we have already "looked into the heads" of the assassin clades through James Swallows Nemesis.

Secondly and as a personal opinion, seems BL are holding to their current lack of content trend and clutching at straws a bit. Liked it far better when they use to tell us what was being worked on and when to expect them in their old "Coming Soon" section.... for me the silence is deafening

• 2 weeks later...

It was... Okay. Admittedly after reading Parrino's excellent characterisation of the Brazen Claws I was a little disappointed with the novella but I appreciate the demands of a tie in with a board game - namely the straight up stereotypes of the temples we've seen in other Officio Assassinorium literature not being as developed as I'd hoped given the page count. There were (to my mind) some things that slipped through the net such as

- The past history between the Vindicare and the Callidus. I have a feeling this is covered in the audio book and it's a device to add some flavour to otherwise extremely detached, impersonal characters. Unfortunately without knowing what's happened, it just appeared shoe horned in and slightly confusing - what did the Vindicare do to the Callidus on the surface deployment? Why did she shoot him?

- At one point the Crimson Slaughter are referred to as veterans of the Long War. I'm not sure if this is the case as we establish in the opening chapter that the Black Legion refer to Drask as a 'weakblood' and puts this claim into dispute as the Crimson Slaughter turned in m36. Or perhaps Parrino is writing from the perspective of the Assassins and they are not likely privy to the politics of Chaos.

- The rather predictable ending of the Eversor exploding at the end

The action sequences are well written and I liked the Culexus' entrance.

3/5

I really enjoyed the novel. I haven't this guy's stuff before but his action sequences are really good. The set up is typical as are the people in play, but there is some interesting characterization.

Yay Crimson Slaughter! (Boo for leaving Kranon).

I think it's length limited it.... bland is a little strong though as I really enjoyed the dynamics of the Assassins. What did disappoint me was the lead Sorc Drask. He started out with lots of personality by the end he was a stereo typical Chaos dude with a staff.

Other than that, I really liked it.

Pandorax? You liked that?!?! Wow. Okay, I'm going to try REALLY hard to read that one more time. lol  Just because you said you made it through it.

Archived