Command Squad and Vet squad load outs

Politix

Hey guys, so I am still stuck at FT Gordon and without my codex. The wife however shipped me my bits box and I wanted to start building some vets etc. I am not looking for rules, just a simple list of allowed weapons load outs for CS/Vets. Dual weapons, special weps etc.

They can take all the combat shields, combi weapons, storm bolters, storm shields, plasma pistols and power weapons they want

They may take one heavy weapon or special per 5 or a special weapon and heavy weapon at 10 strong

Standard load out is pistol and ccw and they can move to bolters for free

The command squad is basically the same except for the champion, apothecary, standard bearer and they can take all the special weapons they want.

Oh and they do retain their pistol if they buy a power weapon so even a thunder hammer storm shield guy has a pistol. You can trade these up to bolters, plasma pistols, or combi weapons (but not heavy/special weapons or twin lightning claws)

They may take one heavy weapon or special per 5 or a special weapon and heavy weapon at 10 strong

If I remember the wording correctly, the squad may take one heavy weapon, regardless of its size (anywhere from 5-10 models).  The specials are one per full 5 models (so one for any squad short of 10 models, but a full 10-man squad would get two specials).

I've got 14 Vets to assemble and one finecast Banner Bearer.  So I want to do a 10-man Vets squad and then a Command Squad.  I had hoped to make my Vet squad a 10-man face-melting squad with a multi-melta, 2 melta guns and 7 combi-meltas... but I haven't got enough combis.  Someone recommended splitting them into Combat Squads (which can still share the pod), giving one squad the multi-melta, a melta gun and 3 combi-meltas, while the other takes a plasma gun and 4 combi-plasmas.

Does this sound like a feasible idea?  also, what else should I equip them with?  I've only got a few of the combat shields and the terminator storm shields that are shaped liek crosses from the upgrade sprue.  Not sure what melee gear would be good but I figured invulnerable saves are good.

If I remember the wording correctly, the squad may take one heavy weapon, regardless of its size (anywhere from 5-10 models). The specials are one per full 5 models (so one for any squad short of 10 models, but a full 10-man squad would get two specials).

I've got 14 Vets to assemble and one finecast Banner Bearer. So I want to do a 10-man Vets squad and then a Command Squad. I had hoped to make my Vet squad a 10-man face-melting squad with a multi-melta, 2 melta guns and 7 combi-meltas... but I haven't got enough combis. Someone recommended splitting them into Combat Squads (which can still share the pod), giving one squad the multi-melta, a melta gun and 3 combi-meltas, while the other takes a plasma gun and 4 combi-plasmas.

Does this sound like a feasible idea? also, what else should I equip them with? I've only got a few of the combat shields and the terminator storm shields that are shaped liek crosses from the upgrade sprue. Not sure what melee gear would be good but I figured invulnerable saves are good.

I have 5 of them with power nails and storm shields. I use the chapter symbols as shields from the veterans kit/upgrade kit as their fairly large and I wasnt planning on using the three sets of them I have to their fullest anytime soon.

A lightning claws one is an interesting idea, but you can get one with the finecasts veterans kit ready to go so I'm not sure wasting claws from other kits is a wise idea.

Finally having generic pistol and sword veterans is always a nice to have, I have 10 of them that double as assault marines without packs on the off season.

I might pick up another box of vets to use as Devastators. For some reason, heavies look best with robes.  I've got plenty of guns to use for them, and I like the fact that each box basically comes with a bonus Terminator (aside from obtaining spare torso backs, the DW kit has plenty of extras to complete it).

I might pick up another box of vets to use as Devastators. For some reason, heavies look best with robes. I've got plenty of guns to use for them, and I like the fact that each box basically comes with a bonus Terminator (aside from obtaining spare torso backs, the DW kit has plenty of extras to complete it).

uhhhh no it doesn't. The dw kit comes with only 5 backs and that's enough for one squad which the box makes. The legs and bits problem that gw presents us with is like the hot dog problem (buns come in 12's hot dogs come in 10's). It's simple capitalism, they make you go out and buy more of one in order to get the most out of the other. And the cycle continues endlessly unless you buy ludicrous amounts or get out.

I think that build is okay, i just use stern guard if I'm going to make devastators and then buy heavy weapons separate, or tactical marines. This way I always have spare marines I can work into whatever.

So I could run a vet squad with 5 guys: melta, plasma, combi-melta/pfist, combi-plas/pfist and a th/SS?

No, you can only have 2 specials if you have 10 guys in the squad.

I like the fact that each box basically comes with a bonus Terminator (aside from obtaining spare torso backs, the DW kit has plenty of extras to complete it).

uhhhh no it doesn't. The dw kit comes with only 5 backs and that's enough for one squad which the box makes.

Feel free to reread the part that I've emphasized for your convenience.  All I needed to do was get some spare backs from a bits supplier and suddenly I had more Deathwing.  I had plenty of spare fronts, arms, heads, shoulders, etc left over from one Deathwing box to turn the stuff onto the Vets sprue into new Terminators.

I might use Sternguard for my Devs, as I bought a box of them mainly for the bits anyhow.

Archived