Better melee weapon for my Captain- Power sword or fist?

Yeah, Ap2 at initiative is money in the bank.  BUT, it kind of relegates your guy to being a bully against Power Armor.

What I mean is that, yes, you can go up against other players' HQs...but they are likely to be decked out in the New Hotness Power Armor that is a 3++ invulnerable save of some kind, so having ap2 is sort of irrelevant against that.

The exception is the Killstreak power ax that Daemonkin get when it works with a Axe of Khorne used by a lord on a juggernaut.  5 Kills at i1 on a scrub unit buffs his base strength to 10, with the axe of khorne you hit at s10 ap2 at initiative.  You could go after land raiders with that.

I don't think Fury of Baal is worthwhile.  PErsonally for a captain I'd give him Valour's Edge and then if I wanted an upgraded pistol maybe a grav pistol but more likely a bolt pistol.

I wouldn't do a power fist unless I was using a storm shield.

Sounds like you don't have unlimited materials, so I'd note that you can convert a Power Fist into a lightning claw easily. You can also make a relic blade just by extending the handle of a power sword since there's no real official sense of what those look like.

Captains have basically no value over other HQs apart from a slightly wider access to options and base initiative 5, so unwieldy weapons are a bad combination with them. Its kind of annoying how Space Marine's 'leader' option is just a beatstick while all their other HQs can actually buff our units.

im new can anyone explain to me how you would use a power fist and lightning claw in combat? Do you pick which you will be using before attacking? 

Pretty much. You can only choose to use one weapon per phase, so say what weapon you're using before rolling To Hit.

"Thunder hammer and storm shield for the coolness! "

I had some milage with Claw Claw Captain and a Hammernator Squad

The captain got to swing early, the hammernators swung hard, and not a lot was prepared to throw down a challenge, because the Sergeant could accept and smack it with a hammer

Hammer and Claw has quite a reputation as well

I usually deploy my honor guard (command squad) with my captain. My honor guard has a meltagun, and other than that its bolters, bolt pistols, and chainswords. I'm re-tooling my veteran sergeant so he packs a better punch. Previously he was armed with a stormbolter and chainsword. So I have the opportunity to make a veteran sergeant and a captain whose armament compliment one another and will often be fighting together.

Things I don't have:

Shields of any kind

Thunder Hammer /one handed. I have the two handed hammer that comes with the death company boxed set.

right handed lightning claw.

Everything else I pretty much have.. Combi weapons, power swords, tons of powerfists, every type of pistol, etc.

IMHO, the best loadout for a Captain is Artificer Armor, Jump Pack, Auspex, and either Valour's Edge & Grav Pistol, or twin Lightning Claws. If he's accompanied by a Command Squad, they're also strapped with jump packs and all 3 Veterans have a Storm Shield.

You realise the Command Squad's Champion has a set load out, right?

Yes. He has his shield, sword, and a bolt pistol.

IMHO, the best loadout for a Captain is Artificer Armor, Jump Pack, Auspex, and either Valour's Edge & Grav Pistol, or twin Lightning Claws. If he's accompanied by a Command Squad, they're also strapped with jump packs and all 3 Veterans have a Storm Shield.

Why a grav pistol over an infernus pistol? Because of the concussive effect?

Mine don't have JPs, they have a Razorback for transportation.

If you're going with an I1 weapon, I'd say he needs a bike. No point striking hard if you're going to be simultaneously squished by that powerfist wielding aspiring champion.

So maybe Valour's Edge and a good pistol would be better than going with a powerfist?

If you're going with an I1 weapon, I'd say he needs a bike. No point striking hard if you're going to be simultaneously squished by that powerfist wielding aspiring champion.

So maybe Valour's Edge and a good pistol would be better than going with a powerfist?

As we get Str and Ini 5 on the charge, valour's edge is great.

Archived