Corbulo's Initiative

vahouth

Corbulo's base initiative is 5. His Warlord Trait, Speed of the Primarch adds one more, as is The Red Grail he caries.

So, his actual initiative is 7 that can go to up to 8 with the BSF? 

Am I missing something? You don't think his Warlord trait is included in his stats, is it?

Initiative 8 is irrelevant when you don't want him fighting anything that's initiative 7-8 (Dark Eldar heroes, Lash whip hive tyrants, greater daemons, pheonix lords). Initiative 7 is a poor substitute for an invulnerable save on things that can guarantee killing their enemies and a S5 rending chainsword is not one of those things. If its initiative 6+ you probably want to shoot it not charge it.

Taking him as a Warlord and losing Veritas Vitae on an actually good table doesn't sound like an advantage to me.

Initiative 6 lightning claw terminators in his squad on the other hand...

Nah, you're better off with a regular priest and the extra 2 terminators. Initiative 5 on the charge is enough unless its Genestealers, Wyches or Incubi AKA stuff you don't want to charge with terminators no matter what your initiative is. Unless there's some really common AP2 initiative 5 3+ save unit I'm forgetting. Corbulo of course becomes good if you can't guarantee a charge or winning on a charge.

But if you're going to use lightning claws you need a land raider and Corbulo on top of that is a lot of points. A bad unit that becomes good once you invest in one and a half times their points in support is still a bad unit. Hence thunder hammer and storm shields and a regular priest who can take a real power weapon, if its scary enough to need i6 terminators to kill it you'd probably be better off with S8 3++ I1 terminators instead..

How can you get a regular priest and 2 extra terminators instead of him? He's only 60pts more expensive.

What I was thinking of really, was If he gets in a challenge with an Eldar, one failed save and he can get away with it thanks to his high initiative and instant kill from his chainsword, assuming his unit gets to charge of course. And even if he's not the warlord, Initiative 7 on the charge looks pretty nice as is his 6" +1WS & +1I bubble.

Archived