Spagunk's ETL Painting thread

Spagunk

The loose bricks themselves are actually from a miniature scenery company that I don't remember. They were sold at my FLGS from some form of scenery/model company in a baggy but I can't remember who made them.

The brick patter on the bases though were from one of those generic Christmas scenery brands you see at your knitting/crafting store. The kind where they have the flocked pine trees and little holiday dioramas. Comes in a roll that's about 6" b 12".

So you may or may not have noticed that two of the guys didn't get any decals for their blank shoulder pads. Well, this was because I was out of microsol so I couldn't get them on in time for the picture.

However, I found out through the tubes that microsol is actually just acetone diluted with rubbing alcohol. So curious, I decided to give it a try. Sure enough, it worked fantastically. I ended up doing 3 parts rubbing alcohol to 1 acetone to start and it was amazingly fast and worked well. The key is to use it sparingly because acetone is very ravenous and can ruin your paint quickly: be vary careful. I am inclined to say that 4:1 ratio is probably safer for the model.

I'll take pics of the results later but just thought I would mention it to anyone who is curious on how to make their own solution.

Archived