Space marine test Schemes

Hello all.

I've finally got around to start painting my marines after a few months. These are my first 2 test models. The first one didn't turn out as good as the second, I took a more streamlined approach to the yellow and also painted the trim black instead of red which I think makes the yellow stand out better. I think i might also redo the eyes, Maybe a bright red?

Tell me what you think.

Also a question. Do you think the red or black shoulder trim works best with these marines?

First go.

med_gallery_48140_10774_282078.jpg

Second go.

med_gallery_48140_10774_332055.jpg

med_gallery_48140_10774_343200.jpg

med_gallery_48140_10774_664780.jpg

Edit. Changed Title

I really like both of those, I like the red, but that's just personal preference. Try something for me, put the two side by side on a table and then walk around the other side and view them at gaming distance, I bet the first one looks way better at that distance.

Cheers,

Jono

They both look good IMO ( not much help I know ). As you will need to paint the trim colour on each shoulder pad ( and depending on your plans you may be looking at panting x number of marines ) it might come down to which you enjoy / find easiest / hate doing the least .

Thanks for all the responses. I think I'll paint the trim red, it makes it a bit more interesting to paint.

Here is my first batch of marines with the base yellow done.

med_gallery_48140_10774_137887.jpg

The yellow really takes a lot of coats to actually look good. If I get the time, I might make a tutorial on how to paint them.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so after getting about half way through the 5 marines i realized how tedious and frustrating painting yellow can be. Ive decided to no longer paint my marines as imperial fists and paint my own scheme which is much easier (and less frustrating) to paint. Its basically just red with a white chest eagle and black bolters. Shoulder trim is gold to show 2nd company although i might change to black? What do you guys think?

Also just ignore the abomination on the shoulder pad, I was trying some freehand but I'm just gonna stick to transfers.

med_gallery_48140_10774_427591.jpg

med_gallery_48140_10774_144841.jpg

med_gallery_48140_10774_385550.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Nice looking Red, stay 2nd co. Also name of Chapter?

I think I'll probably stick with the gold trim. I was thinking of the name 'Black skulls' and they were going to be an imperial fists successor chapter. I'm still not 100% sure ill paint it this way. I might paint up an ultramarine and see how that turns out.

I like the red with gold scheme you have going on there. The one thing I would do differently is a different color for the Purity seals. Either a much darker red or some other color entirely such as blue or green. Something to add the point of interest, maybe a dark green. If you're going to do an IF successor chapter, I would go with a name like "Scions of Pollux" or "The Sons of Sigismund"

Archived