WIP: Some rough Warriors

Hi there,

after Months of buying Boxes and Bitz, tonight I finally found the time, to start assembling. I going to play by the Wolves Codex, so these Guys are goind to be the first Gray Hunters Pack. I'm not completely sure wether they'll be a (lost) Great Company or a DIY-Chapter (which just plays by the Wolves rules). In either case, I'll start testing some color schemes hopefully very soon.

http://exmachina.ws/40k/wip-0001.jpg

I'm sorry for the Quality of the Image. I'm just starting into the Hobby, and the very next acquisition will be a propper Lamp. Hopefully the Photographs will get better soon.

As you will see, I basically mixed the Space Wolves Grey Hunter Box, with a Box of Tactical Vanilla Marines, and some Bits including Forgeworld and other Vendors. I'll keep using Maximus-, Corax-Helmets quite a lot (bought lots of bits of those) and keep mixing them with most types or armours and pads. I work that in the Fluff of the Army.

The Wolf Guard Pack Leader is the Guy without a helmet of course. Because I don't want to use any non-helmet

Head twice in my Army (and because faces are more difficult to paint), I'll keep using Heads without Helmets for Pack Leaders / Sergeants ony. Also Makes it easier to identify them.

Glueing the Resing Parts with the regular Citadel Glue didn't work so well. Has anyone a good tip, how to glue the Resin-Stuff?

And ) guess, I should better remove the Mouldlines and the Cuts. I'll keep improving that.

Anyhow … I am ultra-happy that my army gets going now! Yeah!

Edited by Filius

Looking Good!

Plastic glue won't glue resin, it usually works by dissolving the plastic (polystyrene) therefore bonding two pieces together. As the resin is not polystyrene this won't work.

Super Glue (cyanoactylate) is the best to use gluing anything to resin. If you are already using this it may be that there is still some release agent still on the models - do they feel greasy? If they do then you need to give them a wash in warm soapy water and maybe a scrub with a toothbrush.

If they still aren't sticking try scoring a few lines into the resin with a blade to give the glue something to grip onto.

Hope that helps

Can't wait to see them painted! You should go for DiY chapter for sure. DiY are too OP

Thanks! Buuut  ...  what does OP mean? I took a look in the Legio Lexicon, but couldn't find it. The only other Explantion I came up with myself ist "overpowered", but that doesn't seem to make sense ... :]

Looking Good!

Plastic glue won't glue resin, it usually works by dissolving the plastic (polystyrene) therefore bonding two pieces together. As the resin is not polystyrene this won't work.

Super Glue (cyanoactylate) is the best to use gluing anything to resin. If you are already using this it may be that there is still some release agent still on the models - do they feel greasy? If they do then you need to give them a wash in warm soapy water and maybe a scrub with a toothbrush.

If they still aren't sticking try scoring a few lines into the resin with a blade to give the glue something to grip onto.

Hope that helps

Ah! Thanks! I hadn't tried Superglue yet. I didn't expect, that I'll need it. So I'll get some tomorrow.

Once you have them painted, the bits won't matter. Resin pieces always need a good bath and scrub in lukewarm soapy water with an old toothbrush before assembly and they also need a good drying. If the resin feels sticky or greasy after that, the resin wasn't properly mixed or cured and one of the components is "sweating" through the surface. The only way I have found to take care of that is to let them cure in a warm, dry environment for a couple of weeks and give them a good wash and scrub every couple of days. When the pieces are no longer sticky or greasy to the touch, the resin has cured. Also, superglue is a must have for resin. As mentioned before, the regular plastic cement doesn't work on resin. You don't need very much superglue to stick the pieces together. As a matter of fact, I would get a thicker superglue (the gap-filling formula) so you will have better control for application. It takes a little longer to set, but it's worth it.

Once you have them painted, the bits won't matter. Resin pieces always need a good bath and scrub in lukewarm soapy water with an old toothbrush before assembly and they also need a good drying. If the resin feels sticky or greasy after that, the resin wasn't properly mixed or cured and one of the components is "sweating" through the surface. The only way I have found to take care of that is to let them cure in a warm, dry environment for a couple of weeks and give them a good wash and scrub every couple of days. When the pieces are no longer sticky or greasy to the touch, the resin has cured. Also, superglue is a must have for resin. As mentioned before, the regular plastic cement doesn't work on resin. You don't need very much superglue to stick the pieces together. As a matter of fact, I would get a thicker superglue (the gap-filling formula) so you will have better control for application. It takes a little longer to set, but it's worth it.

Ah. Thanks for the Explanation. I have some Resi-Bits, that were a kind of greasy when they arrived. But as I bought most of them months ago, they're all dry now. But I'll definetly wash them nextime.

Sooo ... more than 20 years after I painted my last Space Marine, and 10 years after I held a fine brush (painted some Battlemechs while I was at University), I started painting today. Without further ado, the current state of Work in Progress:

http://exmachina.ws/40k/wip-0002.jpg

For the First One, I followed the GW-Guide for Deathwing Terminators: Two Layers of Ushabti Bone, then a Wash with Seraphim Sepia, then Ushabti Bone again.  I haven't done The Highlighting with Screaming Scull / White Scar yet. Instead of that I couldn't wait to see red on the Model and started adding Mephiston Red. to the Should PAd, the Eyes and the Gloves.

I was suprised how difficult it is to find the right mixture of water and Color. The pure color is much to thick, and I really had problems applying it evenly. I guess I just have to learn that.

Like the other two Models of today, I basecoated it with Abbadon Black, as you can still at many parts. But after todays results, I am really not sure,

wether this is great Idea. When I will have decided for a color Scheme, I give a different undercoat a try.

http://exmachina.ws/40k/wip-0003.jpg

For the Second One, I wanted a light blue-green-gray color tone and thought that Ulthan Grey would be a good start. But that was far to bright. So I put a Layer of  Ferensian Grey above it, inked it with Coelia Greenshade and added another Layer of Ferensian Grey. I like the green Ink-Effekt, but I'm not happy with the main Color tone. As I couldn't find a light blue-green-grey within the GW Range I ordered Vallejo Paints which hopefulle fit better to my Ideas somehow. But they haven't arrived yet.

And generally … it was a bad Idea to FIrst use a very light grey and then a darker grey.

http://exmachina.ws/40k/wip-0004.jpg

For the Third One I gave Thunderhawk Blue a try, which is a nice blue-green-grey, but too dark for my taste. Plus: I don't really now which Color to use for Shading and – much more diffcultly – which color for Highlighting. Has anyone around here tried that as base color? Any hints, who to go on with that Model?

All in all I have to say, that the first evening painting was really fun.

But I also have to say, that its not as easy as Duncan Rhodes makes it look like on Warhammer TV. ;D

I guess I have to learn a few things … :]

Update: A memo to me: Next time I'll paint some Minis to test a color Scheme, ooonly take those arms and weapons, that don't make it hard to reach other parts of the Mini.

Edited by Filius

• 2 weeks later...

Sooo … after some week full of work and children's diseases, I found some time to work on the Prototypes of my Wolves again.

http://exmachina.ws/40k/wip-0006.jpg

I haven't put much work into this one. While I love the Colour-Scheme, for Deathwing-Terminators, I somehow doesn't work on Powerarmourd Marines, for me. And especially not for Space Wolves. So I guess, I have to learn how to get the Paint off a Mini …

http://exmachina.ws/40k/wip-0005.jpg

This is the one from above in Thunderhawk-Blue. I washed it with agrax Earthshade and highlighted it with "French Mirage Blue" from Vallejo.
The color scheme is much better than I thought it to be. I should have tried on a Wolf with a "normal" Shoulderpad, in order to get more Yellow on the Mini. I didn't expect it to be a real match for the lighter tones, but now I'm really tempted to go with this scheme. The dark Blue/green makes the yellow and red shine more …

http://exmachina.ws/40k/wip-0007.jpg

I wanted a green-blueish tone to my wolves, eversince I noticed the nuance on the Cover of the Codex: Space Wolves. So I started a test with Vallejos "Light Green Blue" (washed with "Agrax Earthshade" and Highlighted with "Ulthuan Grey"). I really, really like that one, although it's much, much lighter than the Wolf von the Codex. But lighter is okay with me, as my Great Company will be called "Pale Wolves".

I just finishid adding the first layer of three other tones to three other Minis, all of them from Vallejo: "Medium Sea Grey" (which sadly seem neither blueis nor greenish), "Light Green Blue" and "Pale Grey Blue". "Light Green Blue" already looks great on the Mini. Like the "Light Sea Green" but a bit darker … can't wait to continue …

Edited by Filius

• 1 year later...

Two years and another Child later, I pick up the work. I'll stick with the Thunderhawk Blue. This make the Yellow and Red shine more. And I'll probably use the Crimson Fists Transfers as Decals for my Custom Chapter.

But I do have two Questions before going on …

1. I wonder if it would be cleverer to paint the Eyes before the Rest of the Armour. That would make it easer to work with a wash cover any Mistakes in the Eyes. Is that ad good Idea?

2. The common Pose for a Space Marine is to hold the Bolter with two hands right befor this chest. That makes it super hard to paint the Eagle / Wings / Whatever on his chest, as well as the backside of his Bolter. Are there any Tricks how to paint this the best way, without assembling the Arm after the Painting?

Thanks in Advance!

Welcome back.

I do the eyes last since im usually extremely messy with the basecoat. If you do the eyes first then you have to be careful with the basecoat and the wash over the basecoat.

With the chest detail if I cant see it i cant paint it, but then if I cant see it nobody else can either so its not a problem :)

I do the eyes last since im usually extremely messy with the basecoat. If you do the eyes first then you have to be careful with the basecoat and the wash over the basecoat.

Ah, hell, yeah, that's a good point! Thanks!

With the chest detail if I cant see it i cant paint it, but then if I cant see it nobody else can either so its not a problem :smile.:

Sounds reasonable! What do you do with the parts, you can hardly see? Paint the Eagle first and risk painting Paint from the gun on it, or paint the gun fist?

Thanks!

"Arrroouuhhh!"

Let´s see where this goes...

I like the white wolf best so far, btw.

This one, really? I just got fine with the darker blue and decided to go with it. :dry.: It lets the reds and yellows shine more. And Reds and Yellows are one of the main Reasons to stick with the wolves. They are the most colorfull of the loyal first founding chapters: Blue, Yellow, Red, Black, White, Gray, Gold … you can do almost everything with the Wolves. Except Green. But I will keep that on the Todo-List for some later days.

Edited by Filius

Well darker blue looks good, too, but I think it looks the most like the regular wolves...

How far will they differ in fluff from the official Wolves, btw?

Not all too far … they are a Great Company that got lost (don't know why, yet) and probably won't return to the Fang before Midnight on the last day of 999.M40. They changed their color to a darker blue because the Stars are their home now.

Their Wolflord is a bit different from the most Wolflords as he values discipline and accurancy, especially in shooting, be it with Bolters or Heavy Weapons or Tanks. And I am willing to give them a communist touch, maybe even anarchical. Because of the fact that they can't reach the Fang anymore, they became more like a commune than a hiearchical company (given the fact the wolves are known for their Antiauthority ) … "From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs" … you know.

His best friend is a young Wolfpriest, who spent some time in the Deathwatch and has a strong curiosity for xenos. I consider him, wearing a white Armour as he tends towards the Apothecarius-Aspect of his role.

Also they have a special Feud with the Tyranids, but on the other hand: Who in the galaxy hasn't? :happy.:

That's pretty much everything I do have right now. I recently worte an Index Astartes Entry for a Imperial Fists Successor Chapter. But I decided to not follow that anymore and so I'll pretty sure re-cycle some of that for my Wolves.

• 1 month later...

A little Update and a Request for Help: I am still working on the Colour Scheme. I'm still torn between the lighter and the darker Version. The Darker makes the Yellows and Reds shine more, while the lighter is more spacewolfish. While hunting for the perfect Blue-Green-Grey I came across Games Workshops own Goliathes …

http://dark-and.grim.rocks/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2017/06/goliath-01.jpg

http://dark-and.grim.rocks/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2017/06/goliath-02.jpg

… they have a nice light green-blue grey. Has anyone a clue how to paint that with Citadel Colours?

Thanks in Advance!