ETL IV Progress Tracker

JGeils81

Hello Brothers, so I have a question for you. or a series of questions actually.  In the following image, the one on the left has highlights and the other does not. 

so I want to add highlights, but I want them to be subtle, I most definitely don't want it to be "tron'd out" I mixed some castellan green with a bit of yellow ink and hit the edges on the green. drybrushed runefang silver on the silvery parts, auric armor gold on the gold, and a touch of kislev flesh on the head. so, what needs improvements? are the highlights enough to be noticeable but not garish? any constructive criticism would be welcome. Thanks!

Highlight comparison

The highlights on the right are barely noticeable.  To keep my highlights subtle but sharp, I usually wash the armor afterwards with another layer of Biel-Tan Green or even a thinned Vallejo Black-Green ink.  It also darkens the Caliban Green base coat to a shade that I like better on my Dark Angels.

I think if you use your preferred wash after applying the armor highlights, it should mute them sufficiently.  I never went for the idea of the Waywatcher Green glaze that Citadel recommends - it does bring up the base and bring down the highlights, but it's too green for my liking.

Nuln Oil works as well as what I use, if you like them really dark.  From there it's easy enough to tidy up the non-armor parts.

DWK prep and assembly done, been raining for over a week so waiting for the humidity to go down before priming them and the pred.

Started Painting asmodai, the speeder, and relic. Leadbelcher on terminator squad, speeder, asmodai, and all the extra heavy weapons...so much leadbelcher...I'll be dreaming of it tonight. And it's not done yet..

Trying so hard to finish before I start working on more vows..so many ideas! Bought a BA terminator captain to convert into a librarian in terminator armor too...I need to uninstall eBay from my iPad and phone..

Hail brothers, far too quiet in here so thought I'd best post an update!

Here's where I am with the Landraider:

IMAG0244.jpg

It's going pretty well, although it has taken far longer than I would have wanted. Edge highlights alone have taken me two nights to complete!

Next up is a good coat of matt varnish through the airbrush to seal the lovely oil paints and then it'll be onto the details like the lenses, angels/scrolls and the engine block.

Lascannons and heavy bolter and base coated - still got the turrent and techmarine to get based.... On wards and upwards! For the Emperor and the First!

P.S Here's the boys (PiP) having a play with the LR

IMAG0248.jpg

whoa nice !

for me, i'm slowly progressing....

Wont be GD standard but at least they will at least be painted

--- VOW 1 -----

Deathwing Knights Squad (245 pts) - 1 Knight Master, 4 Knights, Perfidious Relic

Deathwing Squad (431 pts) - Terminator Sergent SB/PW, 5 Terminator with SB/PF, 2 Terminator with SB /Chainfist, 1 Terminator with Missile launcher.

Deathwing Squad (367 pts) - Terminator Sergent SB/PW, 5 Terminator with SB/PF, 1 Terminator with SB / Chainfist, 1 Terminator with Heavy Flammer.

2015-05-21%2000.06.03.jpg?_subject_uid=2

Alvena, 

Thank you! I'm pretty pleased with how it's coming along - just taking a while, which is annoying!

I think my next vows should be quicker, either lots of RW bikes or lots of Characters...

Good luck with that much DW, I find bone really time consuming to paint.

I use DropBox for my images to - but I find I need to right-click the image in the DropBox page and "Get Public Link..." and use the URL it gives you there.

I forgot, someone asked what I was using as filler - It's Milliput paste (i.e. mixed with a fair bit of water and applied with a popsicle stick.

Plod, plod, plog.... I'm getting there... Oh so slowly.

Progress has been slow, took the wife to Stonehenge on a day off last week and the weekend and Bank Holiday with the kids.

Please ignore the dirty Xenos in the background, I'm ebaying them off as I received them as payment from a friend for fixing his PC ;)

IMAG0253.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Being very negligent with updates! Got one of the squad members (Brother Aphaeleon) 90% complete. Boy my line work is rusty, also working with newer, better, brushes than I am used to. Will be doing assembly line style from here on out.

gallery_74242_11002_474175.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Today's update:

Primed DWK squad and predator, only leaves one terminator squad with nothing so far.

Started working on bases, got dread, one terminator squad, and two 25mm all constructed. Created some basing material for more

• 4 weeks later...

here we go :

I, Alvena, announce the completion of my first (and last) vow.

----- VOW 1 -----

Deathwing Knights Squad (245 pts) - 1 Knight Master, 4 Knights, Perfidious Relic

Deathwing Squad (431 pts) - Terminator Sergent SB/PW, 5 Terminator with SB/PF, 2 Terminator with SB /Chainfist, 1 Terminator with Missile launcher.

Deathwing Squad (367 pts) - Terminator Sergent SB/PW, 5 Terminator with SB/PF, 1 Terminator with SB / Chainfist, 1 Terminator with Heavy Flammer.

http://img15.hostingpics.net/thumbs/mini_13346620150728232137.jpg

http://img11.hostingpics.net/thumbs/mini_81992820150728232130.jpg

http://img15.hostingpics.net/thumbs/mini_98166120150728232144.jpg

Archived