Modeller's pride - what have you made recently?

Olis

So, this has happened to me occasionally and I figured I'd make a talking point of it - that period of time after you create a character model, or at least partially do so, and you can't stop picking it up to look at it. Whether it's by conversion, kitbash or simply the stock model itself, what has triggered this for you? Is there any particular model that you are still proud of after all this time? Did you get the pose how you wanted? 

Care to share your pride and joy, brothers and sisters? Fancy talking about how difficult it was to get it just right? It could be anything from the lowliest guardsman to the mightiest chapter master, from the humble troop transport to the almighty titans. It doesn't matter. What does matter is that the process of making that model not only was fun, but makes you want to show off your baby.

For me, I have a Moritat and a Praetor waiting a lick of paint right now, both of which involve elements from the Loken character series model and various other bits and pieces. The Moritat has been around for a while, so the chest swelling has subsided for him but the Praetor is a fresh build. It's debatable as to whether my sculpting skills will rise to the task but I have high hopes for that model, considering what has gone into him already. 

But that's enough of me. I could gibber on for a while and I'd be pretty sure it would leave the realm of 'sharing' and tramping over to where the 'boasting' sign is, if it hasn't already. What about you, Fraters? What has given you 'modeller's pride' recently?

(Pictures optional.)

Not a huge amount of modelling but...

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-dNlS5DJoLCM/VPRxNwXXvcI/AAAAAAAAAEc/GSIYOIENdo0/s2048-no/IMG_1157.JPG

When I first cut into the shoulder pad to make the weapon I was a bit scared as it's a hell of a model to cut up. Most of it is standard really but really happy with how the head turned out. I spent ages trying to get the weapon in the right hand to to at least 'look' right with the left without having to do too much work. Then right at the end I couldn't find my Death Guard brass etching to replace the Salamander symbol on the left pad. Instead I just had to paint some flames.

I think the moment you finished that model was a prideful moment for everyone involved with or who was a fan of the Corax Coup, Conn was all misty-eyed as I recall. :D

Honestly, my own favorite mini, one I display proudly in my display case and that I pick up nearly everytime Im painting or assembling simply to inspire myself is the Alpha legionare I made for the March of Legions:

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t373/Philip_Breusch_Magnussen/2014-11-28212508_zps0c568534.jpg

(Picture is not brilliant, but I didnt have time to take any). This mini makes me want to make an alpha legion (or maybe another legion, but same theme) kill team, something small and fluffy based around this guy. I will have to do it someday. What I love most about his pose is how relaxed and natural it ended up looking, as if hes scouting from a ruined building, looking over the battlefield searching for his target.

I was always happy with my Ordo Xenos Inquisitor. She was the biggest conversion in my hobby career at that point (do we have careers? I guess if you're a commissioned painter and builder. Whatever- it sounds cool and prestigious). I cut the original model in twain and then affixed it to another model, which I had to also cut in twain. Pop on a cut-up xenos pistol and there you go: one Ordo Xenos model.

med_gallery_83709_10445_1404288.jpg

med_gallery_83709_10445_1730757.jpeg

She's been posted over on the Inquisitor sub-forum. I was really happy with her until I put her on there. It was a little rough hearing some things needed to be changed on her and that kind of put up a mental block on me working on her. No one ever wants to hear anything bad about their babies. Anyway, she'll get a new sword one of these days. And better pictures because that camera washed-out her colours pretty badly.

I can say unashamedly, that I agonize over almost every model that I make-- I do a lot of converting.  But the feeling of completing a model, especially a character is indescribable.  The joy I felt looking at my Emperor's Champion, imagining the visual of it all: sword at the ready on the charge, purity seals flowing together with the cape; practically being able to hear his warcry as he prepares to charge into the fray... I nearly wept.  

That joy had sparked the desire to complete another, and another, and another-- that euphoria, that drive, that fervor!  Few understand the electricity that flows through a modeller, hunched over a model, trying to get the parts, pose and feel of a model just right.  But those that do band together, and create a community-- and I'm glad there are so many like-minded people here on the B&C

I have done a lot of conversions, but the most recent one that I was pleased with was my apothecary. It's not a particularly complicated or fancy conversion, nor does he feature a ton of expensive bits (a savvy EBayer could probably get the parts for this guy for $6 or $7 and have lots of extras left over). But the end result was a Space Marine that conveyed the sense of attitude I had planned for him, and crafted in a fairly unique way that I hadn't seen done before (with his retracted Narthecium conversion). The model still needs some polish before it will be "ready", but I like having models that don't look like everyone else's.

wh40k-tall-true-scale-space-marine-apoth

If anyone is curious where the parts came from (aside from various Tactical Squad bits for the base model): Company Champion shoulder pad, Death Company legs, Grey Knights Terminators narthecium, Ravenwing Command backpack and bolt pistol holster, Sternguard belt Crux Terminatus, Land Raider Crusader crew head. With all the spacers, cuts and re-positions, he was made with 35 individual component parts. When I get around to modifying the bolter, it will be 37. Several minor nicks and cuts to my fingers, as well as sore fingertips, and a sore back from hunching over went into this, lol.

This one, though, has been my most often imitated, so I'm kinda proud of it too.

pistol-header.png

There's two things that have given me that "warm glow" inside from modelling, The first is my recent Landraider. I like the candles, I think they came across really well.

http://www.golden-throne.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/lr2.11.jpg

And long before the Helbrute was a thing, I undertook my first real journey into green stuff and plasticard. Still really happy with the work I did.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s172/tzen_spider/dreaddone.jpg

Not a huge amount of modelling but...

When I first cut into the shoulder pad to make the weapon I was a bit scared as it's a hell of a model to cut up. Most of it is standard really but really happy with how the head turned out. I spent ages trying to get the weapon in the right hand to to at least 'look' right with the left without having to do too much work. Then right at the end I couldn't find my Death Guard brass etching to replace the Salamander symbol on the left pad. Instead I just had to paint some flames.

Would love the back story on that fella'!

Some mighty fine work in here so far - great idea for a thread.

I'm really happy with my most recent additions myself - converting Blightkings into Plague Marines/Terminators. I'm not a skilled modeller by any means, but the kit was just so much fun to put together. Added some 40k-esque bitz as appropriate and gave them a paint job to fit the Legion, and now I'm quite proud of them.

If I did the same thing again (and had all the bitz in the world) there are a couple of things I'd do different, but right now I'm happy.

Only one painted so far, but the reactions were "ew" and "that's disgusting" so I think I'm on the right track happy.png

This fellow is the one I'm most proud of. I made him for my Terran VIII Legion and aimed for a combination of both heavily armoured knight and executioner.

gallery_73590_10020_8039.jpg

An honourable mention to this Imperial Army Captain, just because he turned out exactly as I had pictured him beforehand.

gallery_73590_9397_13662.jpg

IMG20131023 001

Okay, so I made him a while ago but he's still one of my favourite models in my collection. He inspires me for two reasons - firstly, he is painted to one of my best standards to date, the picture doesn't do him justice I know but his face and eyes are probably the best I've ever done. Secondly, I know with him that some of my skills need to be brought up a level, namely the blending on his right arm. Because of this, he is in a way an inspiration of sorts that I can do good but there is always something to improve upon. 

I'd have to say the lord/captain for my Night Lords, I got the basic idea for the conversion when I first saw the plastic chaplain and even though things changed along the way I'm quite pleased with the result.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m101/The-Bear-in-the-North/SAM_0375_zpsjjpremgw.jpg

And long before the Helbrute was a thing, I undertook my first real journey into green stuff and plasticard. Still really happy with the work I did.

That this was the result of your first greenstuff journey fills me with a special sort of jealous loathing. tongue.png

Hmm but all this reminds me, I still have a pile of bitz lying around somewhere that was supposed to become a force bow wielding space shaman...

Honestly, my own favorite mini, one I display proudly in my display case and that I pick up nearly everytime Im painting or assembling simply to inspire myself is the Alpha legionare I made for the March of Legions:

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t373/Philip_Breusch_Magnussen/2014-11-28212508_zps0c568534.jpg

(Picture is not brilliant, but I didnt have time to take any). This mini makes me want to make an alpha legion (or maybe another legion, but same theme) kill team, something small and fluffy based around this guy. I will have to do it someday. What I love most about his pose is how relaxed and natural it ended up looking, as if hes scouting from a ruined building, looking over the battlefield searching for his target.

you know, it never ceases to amaze me how a simple, understated model job can just make an epic figure.

my favorite kitbash.......ever.

That this was the result of your first greenstuff journey fills me with a special sort of jealous loathing. tongue.png

Hmm but all this reminds me, I still have a pile of bitz lying around somewhere that was supposed to become a force bow wielding space shaman...

It did take me a lot of time, trying and trying again! :P

Archived