Terminator Question

I never run a unit of ten termies in normal games but now.. Holy Emperor Now I wont get beat at initiative or lack hard hitting power... I was running 7 man squads in a LRC but all had LC or TH not a mix. LoL my termie game just stepped up a notch.. * buys four boxes of BA Terminators on ebay* tongue.png

Not a fan of clawinators myself

The justification for them is pretty weak

Essentially, they are "better" in that they hit before they can be hit.

The problem is, there is very little against which that is an advantage

Initiative 2 or 3, Ap2, 3+ save

All that springs to mind is Warscythes

3+ or worse save probably matters the most, if they are 2+ save, the claws are a total waste

AP2 after that, if they cant hit you at AP2, then you can let them swing first with little danger, even if they can, hammernators can hide behind 3++

And finally its only really people who are hitting you at I2 or better that matter.

Clawinators rule against big squads of space marines packing lots of power axes.

And orks, and guard blobs, and lesser deamons...

Basically any unit who have multiple attacks and/or just want to drown you in saving throws. Hammers hit hard, but realistically more than 3 is usually overkill.

True, but they do have a niche. In low number squads I can see why one might not want them, but even against things like cultists and other annoying mobs that tend to be put against termis claws can be useful.

Big units is really where they come in I think, as you can have enough of them to do some proper damage on the charge before leaving the hammers to finish off. More of an insurance thing really, and also a slight bubble wrap i guess.

But charging (from a Spartan ;) ) with a few twin LCs and hammers can be a lot of attacks and death! I guess it works differently for different armies/players. I don't run them myself but it looks fun!

The Baal detachment makes lightning claws much better since now you're I5, S5,4A in the charge and beating all troops and most elites in the game except noise marines who don't have ap2, and a few flavors of eldar. You're g going the same time as most Marine HQ characters even. Find a priest, and with feel no pain it's slightly better than a 4+save versus plasma, and the WS5 adds another 1/6 hits as well.

Codex legal and tactically astute! LCs deal some damage at high initiative to help slightly negate unwieldy hammers issue. 5 of each in a squad can be quite fun, but are expensive and lacking in transport department...

If you have money for forgeworld vehicles, there is the spartan assault tank.

The Baal detachment makes lightning claws much better since now you're I5, S5,4A in the charge and beating all troops and most elites in the game except noise marines who don't have ap2, and a few flavors of eldar. You're g going the same time as most Marine HQ characters even. Find a priest, and with feel no pain it's slightly better than a 4+save versus plasma, and the WS5 adds another 1/6 hits as well.

It gets even better if you add Corbulo. The attacks are now at I6 and WS 5.

Archived