New son of Sanguinius

Taurulf

Hi guys...I have been toying with the idea starting a more close combat oriented army to complement my imperial fists for some time now...and kept going between the wolves and blood Angels ...and I have finally decided with a little help from Leanides that blood angels is where my future lies.

So far my fists consists of the following:
1x 10 Sterngaurd with heavy flamer
1x 10 Vangaurd
1x 4 Devastators with lascannons
1x 10 Devastators with 2 heavy bolters and 2 plasma cannons
1x 10 Tactical all bolters
1 x 10 Tactical bolters + flamer
1 x 10 Tactical Multi melta / melta
1 x 6 Tactical terminators w/ ac
1 mk4 Drednaught A/C missle launcher
1 Contemptor Kheres A/C + ccw heavy flamer.

Land raider Achillies
Las Predator
Las Razorback
2 x Storm Talon
1 x Storm Raven
1 x Drop pod
2 x Rhino

What I need help with is where to start. What should be top of my list to compliment what I have already and to start the beginnings of my blood angels army?.

You have a very strong shooty based army there by the looks of things, so like you said an assault based BA armies would fit nicely. So what does that entail?

All of these things are personal choice - of course it's up to you really! In no particular order:

Death Company - most players (definitely me!) don't leave home without these guys. They pack a punch and then some! Hide a few (not too many though) special weapons in here and they are even better. Add Astorath (reroll EVERYTHING for DC on the charge!!!) and things start to look dandy indeed! I like to use Jump packs, but pods and Raiders work well too depending on loadout etc.

Fast vehicles - it seems you have a fair few vehicles right now, but with BA these can be made Fast, and thus more effective in my eyes. Rhinos and razorbacks (and pods for that matter) can be taken as Fast Attack choices, which your IF tacticals can ride in. Shooty yellow boys + speedy red box = outflanking fun!

Librarians - depends on play-style etc., but I normally use Librarians: Sanguinary Discipline can be really nice for the assault! Play different roles but a Librarian Dreadnought is fun too. Not ultra competitive but deadly nonetheless.

Assault Marines - fills different roles. There's the melta-cide squad which is basically 3 or 4 Melta shots turning up turn one in a pod to kill some armour etc.. Or the more traditional JP assault, either to screen tanks, soak up Overwatch, or cause some damage themselves! Unfortunately we don't see that many traditional Assault Squads anymore as they are no longer Troops, but they are still good fun!

Dreadnoughts - nice variety of dreads, both oriented to get up close and dirty. Furiosos with frags provide template goodness, especially with a Heavy Flamer, and Death Company Dreads can dish out a fair few attacks.

There are other things that go into a competitive list, like Sanguinary Guard, Sanguinary Priests (which I personally never run), Scouts being a nuisance, Terminators having fun (which I love to use!), Stormravens........ and other things which I'm sure other people with more experience with can explain!

Hope this helped, and I can see some nice synergy growing between the armies!

If I were in your position, my thought would be to ally in a Baal Strike Force. I'd fill it with 10 JP Death comp with 2 Fists and a Power Weapon, 2 Scout Squads (I prefer Snipers with Camo but CCW scouts could fill the role well here too in order to get up in their grill), and either a  Librarian with JP, Chaplain with JP (or Lemartes) to go with the Death Company. I'd probably expand from there to get a Frag Cannon Furioso in pod, And a Sanguinary Prist with Vanguard vets in either pod or JP, Dante, and Sanguinary Guard with a Banner.

I like the Blood Angel Tactical, and I use them a lot, but considering your main force is very capable at shooting I defaulted to scouts to back up the main force and take advantage of that +1 Init on the charge.

cheers for the suggestions guys really appreciate it. Gives me a list of what to go for.

So looks like DC are high up on my priority list will likely get  some along with the codex this month.

who is better Lemartes or astorath to go along with them?

I prefer Astorath for two reasons: he's an HQ and Lemartes takes up valuable Elites slots; Astorath gives a NICE buff to DC and his axe is pretty deadly.

However, Lemartes is cheaper and still very effective in combat. I also greatly prefer the model of Lemartes over Astorath, which is why I made my own...

Astorath makes more sense then. ..I know what you mean about the Astorath model. I may follow suit and kit bash one of my own.

I will update you guys with my progress as the force comes togeather.

Good call, he has a VERY cool model:

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Space-Marine-Captain-Lord-Executioner

If you do a kitbash, it can be great fun coming up with a suitably nasty axe! Like a double handed chainaxe!

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/3/30/700038_sm-High%20Chaplain%20Carnarvon%20%28Astorath%29%20finished%21.jpg

Haha I just seen the Lord executioner on that "auction" site and thought he would be great ..

You have just given me a great idea for an axe..if I got hold of a couple of chain axes, glued them back to back and then like you say found a two handed pole to mount them on I think that would be classed as suitably nasty don't you think???

well I had only really considered the blood angels. Although the only successor chapter I know anything about is the flesh tearers and from what ive read they dont work well with others, couldnt really imagine them working well with my fists from a fluff point of view.

Archived