Kastelan Maniple Discussion

Huh, I hadn't thought of that as a use of the shooting protocol.  It's a neat idea, but I suppose you could get the same result with any Kastelan build.  That said, I think some folks are underestimating the ability to throw 8 Torrent Flamers downfield a turn (assuming 4 'Bots under shooting protocol) when dealing with horde opponents.  I'm thinking magnets are necessary for the majority of Kastelans.

I never realised you could throw 8 flamers down ohmy.png that's just pure lethal to anything not in power armour.

The better part is being able to put 2 S4 AP5 templates with the small end anywhere within 12" of the firing model, on 4 different units (thanks to split fire). Effectively you can take out 4 units of xenos in a single shooting phase.

I guess it also depends how big a game you are playing and of course then the rest of the army. I play smaller games which leaves little else outside the formation. My current list is just the formation, 2 units of vanguards and a single dunecrawler. I play against 70% MEQ armies, so I usually just put 1 flamer on a bot, which is still effective enough to be a threat.

With all that AP3 shooting and a cognis relic my opponent will have to face 21 overwatch phosphor shots at BS5, where the twin linked ones really come into play as well. Then there is also datasmiths and the dominus as well. Any good assault army will get the charge on these bots, so my objective is to move into a good position and shoot down threats, so I can't be charged by more than 1 unit at a time, where anything but the most hardcore deathstar will be shot to pieces from pure overwatch before powerfists will be needed in any shape or form.

All setups are viable though, and in larger games with more fire support from the rest of the army, I can see how an aggressive advancing unit can be successful. In the size of my games though I would get overrun by pure numbers without a lot of firepower to thin out the enemy with in the first couple of turns.

Still if I knew my list would mainly be used against hordes of orkz, nids and such, yea flamers all the way :p

I have been looking at this Formation for my GK.

Dominus with the Arkhan land Relic

4 Bots standard

2 datasmiths standard

Draigo

Maybe a ML3 Libby. This unit now has a T7 Draigo tanking wounds, potentially dropping them onto the Bots. The bots have FnP and IWND plus regain a wound on a 2+ from the Dominus. Draigo can use his GOI to get the unit where it needs to be and the ML3 Libby can boost with whatever powers he has. 960 points not including the ML3 Libby

I have been looking at this Formation for my GK.

Dominus with the Arkhan land Relic

4 Bots standard

2 datasmiths standard

Draigo

Maybe a ML3 Libby. This unit now has a T7 Draigo tanking wounds, potentially dropping them onto the Bots. The bots have FnP and IWND plus regain a wound on a 2+ from the Dominus. Draigo can use his GOI to get the unit where it needs to be and the ML3 Libby can boost with whatever powers he has. 960 points not including the ML3 Libby

"Hey check out that small Moon over there?"... "That's not a moon Kid!,that's Gaz1858's Draigo unit"..... eek.gif

Mithril

Dang those rules!  I've seen a bunch of players messing this up with the Tech-Priest Dominus, too; the only way he can join those Kastelans is the Cohort formation.  It's one of the reasons the Cohort is such hotness right now.

Archived