Wouldn't mind some advice on some potential unit swaps

So my Alpha Legion army currently has a pair of Heldrakes in it. They've served me well, but the aggro of the 45 degree arc and the fact Vector Strike is basically irrelevant now is kinda souring me on them. I was flicking through IA13, and was reminded that Hell Blades exist, and seem to be pretty damn good. Also, for the price of the two Heldrakes, I can have two Hell Talons and a Sicaran, which definitely seems like a decent trade. I could even sacrifice a unit of Cultists to give the Hell Blades the better autocannons.

The other swap in the same army concerns my triple plasma Forgefiend. Again, it's served... alright, but tends to die turn one or two. Getting rid of it would allow me to either field a Fire Raptor, in all it's upgunned glory, or Cypher. Again, some Cultists may have to be pruned for the Raptor. Cypher would just be funny, and would guarantee my Obliterators or Havocs Infiltrate.

I've been umming and ahing for the last week or so on this, so I figured I'd ask you guys for advice. So, for the TL;DR versions of the swaps:

Out: 2x Heldrake

In: 2x Hell Blade, Sicaran

Out: Triple plasma Forgefiend

In: Fire Raptor OR Cypher

The rest of the army is three plasma CSM squads in Rhinos, Huron, 3 Oblits and a Havoc squad with autocannons.

Any and all advice is much appreciated.

Dragonlover

Two hellblades plus a fire raptor sounds mean. Fire raptor brings a lot of firepower, and you've got the hellblades to ensure you completely dominate the air. I think that's a great combination. Cyphor might be cool, but he's definitely not better than a fire raptor. 

I've never fielded a sicaran but they do seem pretty good. Think all your swaps should work out well. Other good option from IA13 is some rapier batteries. 

You guys just cost my mates and family a whole pile of cash. It's my birthday in a few months, and as with last year the gift cry will be 'To Forge World!'. Unless of course anyone has any drastic criticisms of any of the units? I'm a touch worried about the Hell Blades being AV10 all round with 2 Hull Points, they're like a Land Speeder with an invuln, which is... not appealing, even factoring in snapshots.

Dragonlover

They still fly and the Sicaran is wicked good and will draw fire.

My only reservation is the Raptor build of the kit. I've heard it's better than the eagle but my eagle build was horrific.

3 flyers is imo too many. go with raptor, and maybe a hellblade. Also it would be a good idea to run at least one sorc alongside huron.

Criticism of hellblades, fire raptors and sicarans? There is none!

hellblades don't realy have viable targets. and siccarians have to be run in 2-3s, which brings some serious list changing consequences if one does .

because they aren't free. you start with a lot of points in reservs and a lot of less points on the table. And chaos isn't the most point efficient army to start with it. non of the flyers help with real problem units chaos has to face [or to be more precise hellblades don't and runing 3 raptors cripples the list points wise]. A single raptor is more then enough for a gunboat.

Sicarans are awesome - they'd always get my vote now as they're not just solid on the tabletop but are lovely as models. 

I often find that people will often target models they've not seen before, even now, just because of the diversity. So even if those new additions simply work as a fire magnet, as others have suggested they're then not targeting the rest of your army.

Cypher would just be funny, and would guarantee my Obliterators or Havocs Infiltrate.

No, he doesn't unfortunately, and never has - he has infiltrate, the obbies do not, so the obbies have to be deployed before Cypher.

Unless you reserve them all, join them together and declare as outflanking.

But Huron is cheaper and guarantees infiltrate.

Oh yeah. Man, and to think I teach this game... Ah well, Fire Raptor it is.

@jeske: If not a second Hell Blade, what would you suggest I do with the points?

Dragonlover

The rest of the army is three plasma CSM squads in Rhinos, Huron, 3 Oblits and a Havoc squad with autocannons.

Assume that the additions will be a Sicaran, a Raptor and one Hellblade.

Dragonlover

Both sicarans and fire raptors are relics, you need a malefic sorcerer, warpsmith or abbadon to have more than one in your list.

Oh no. Huron guarantees me sneakiness, and I already converted and painted the model, which won't fit with any of the other 8 legions. Huron stays.

Dragonlover

If your Forgefiend is dying so quickly-is it drawing fire from your Ctacs and other units?  If they're going "OHMUGAWDEMPRA, THREE STRENGTH 8 AEEPEE THREE BLASTS!!!!shift11111" and are drowning the GunCritter in shots and saving the rest of your guys, then he's doing an excellent job at being a distraction (and a very Alpha-Legion-y one at that).

That said, the sicarian is pretty awesome looking and I'd like to get one myself.

Assume that the additions will be a Sicaran, a Raptor and one Hellblade.

Dragonlover

you take 2 siccarians. or you take non. They are not skimmers or MC , a single one dies too fast. And with 2 you dont need havocks. Havocks were, maybe ok [and that is a big maybe] in 6th, in 7th there is too much multi shot stuff that kills them in a single turn.

there are still people having problems with small blast[or even large ones] in the age where a meq can be legaly placed on a big base? I thought that psy trick stoped working around 5th ed.

Archived