Angel's Fury Spearhead question

gainsay

"When making Reserve Rolls, make a single roll for the

entire Formation, which you can choose to re-roll. If successful, all units arrive from the Formation. You can make a Reserve Roll for this Formation from the start of Turn 1."

So how does this work if my entire army is in reserves and I fail the rolls? The other two drop pods. 

No, as only the models in the formation, the stormravens, get to roll T1.

The models coming in from the drop pods, if they drop within 12" of the ravens, would be able to assault, thanks to Augur Triangulation.

Remind me, what are the required units for this particular formation?

3xStormravens with a Full Tactical Squad in each with a free teleport homer.

I've played 3 games with it and have a few thoughts... it may be a mainstay in any force I play.

Remind me, what are the required units for this particular formation?

3xStormravens with a Full Tactical Squad in each with a free teleport homer.

I've played 3 games with it and have a few thoughts... it may be a mainstay in any force I play.

Would love to hear a bit more info.

How do you run the formation? What else do you take with it? Who are your normal opponents? How effective has it been? 

Might be considering buying a 3rd Storm Raven.

I can only imagine that just being able to charge after deep strike is ridiculously powerful no matter what. Would work very well with MSU DC for sure.

Also that other formation that is the Vanguard Vets and two RAS. Drop in, cause a load of impact hits then charge.

Can you use your Jump pack in the assault phase if you deep strike? More HoW!

The way most tourneys have played it: You can't use the perfect DS, and charge on the first turn the ravens come in, but every turn after you are able to use the homers while in the ravens if you are/stay embarked.

And yes I would assume so, you did not use them in your movement phase!

The way most tourneys have played it: You can't use the perfect DS, and charge on the first turn the ravens come in, but every turn after you are able to use the homers while in the ravens if you are/stay embarked.

And yes I would assume so, you did not use them in your movement phase!

Why not? That's so silly, all the things running around these days and we can't get one gimmick even done right! :P

Would love to hear a bit more info.

How do you run the formation? What else do you take with it? Who are your normal opponents? How effective has it been? 

Might be considering buying a 3rd Storm Raven.

So, I've played 3 games with this formation and it is friggin awesome, but a bit of a one trick pony.  I've got one battle report on it up (http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/305960-1850-blood-angels-vs-imperial-guard/) and I will have another one up later today or so from this past weekend against Khorne Daemonkin.

Here are my general thoughts:

1. Make sure you stick to target priority; I cannot stress this enough.  In my second game against CSM, a flying daemon prince with a lash of despair and iron arm with 2D6 attacks funked my game up.  My biggest mistake was going after his keeper of secrets and other non-flying stuff while that one DP housed me. 

2. I am beginning to think you should dump your troops ASAP unless you are able to neutralize all your opponent's anti-air.  If a bird gets shot down, that's a lot.

3. Always take Hurricane Bolters.  They pay for themselves pretty quickly (if they arent shot down on turn 2).  If you are within 12", they are better than Stormstrike Missiles for taking out non-armored big uglies.

4. The charging after deep striking isnt all that great given the point cost of the formation.  I use meltacide squads as an auto-take and this doesn't leave much else when you still need 2 troop choices (form me usually a scout squad and a drop podding 5 man tac squad).  This leaves you with enough for a Librarian and a naked 5 man death company if you skip on toys for all the other units.  Given how weaksauce this is, why not just invest in a land speeder or something dakka dakka? Then this turns a BA army into an air assault shooting volume army.  While the assault ability is sacrificed, people generally don't expect this... which is awesome. People pissing themselves over this rule are probably the same ones bemoaning the Eldar Windrider host...

5. I am thinking you should be selective on when you go into hover mode.  Then it becomes a high target priority land speeder and then all kinds of winged MCs start running for it.

6. I've been giving my tactical squads flamers due to their mobility.  That combined with their bolters is great for dropping in and dakka-dakkaing things... I find it amusing to use full tactical squads to tar-pit assaulty units...

In all, you take this formation to cripple your opponent on turn 1 and for the tactical advantage of them thinking you are going to assault a lot rather than drop and dig in.  I will probably have more thoughts on this as I play more games with it...

Can you use your Jump pack in the assault phase if you deep strike? More HoW!

I don't think so; the Jump Packs are used to deep strike, right?

Also, I'll add that this formation is like a game of rock-paper-scissors:  The IG guy bringing tons of tanks thinking he's going to blow those silly assault troops off the table is going to have a bad time when the meltacide squads leave slagheaps and he cannot shoot down the Stormravens... but, I have yet to face the Crimson Hunters or any other serious anti-air threat other than my mistake at ignoring the str9 2D6 shooting attack demon prince...

Archived