Captain Tycho

Charlo

So, anyone else wonder why they butchered the OG BA el-Capitan in the new codex?

He was pretty cool before with his AP2 hand and decent rules, now he's essentially the sum of a naked death company marine on the charge unsure.png

Is he usable, or ever preferable to another HQ?

Discuss!

I kit bashed him recently since they didnt update his model, he turned out well. I'll try to upload a photo when i get home.  

On his tactics, I play DC Tycho.  I put bolter DC foot sloggers with him in a landraider, maximizing rapid fire  then assaulting.  He gives them fleet, but its totally a fluff unit.  They just look cool with boltguns.  They do ok against a standard speed army, against armies with a lot of mobility I dont take them cause they could get charged.

As for Tycho, he's strictly fluff now.  Bloodsong is cool, 18 inch melta with master crafted.  Rampage is good as well.  He can easily get one shotted tho and loses in a challenge against characters with 2+ armor and hammer/fist weapons.  My opponent has one shotted tycho before on multiple occasions which is sad..

In my experience the games Ive won with him, I wasnt like "oh man Tycho did some work!" I felt like I could have spent the points better.  

BUT with all that being said I play Blood Angels because they are a good balance of power/flavor, and Tycho meets my flavor requirement!

My interest in Tycho is that I love the duality of the 2 modes. I also really love his relic names. Then they went and ruined both of those things. The two versions of Tycho have the same stats. He gets a few rules but he used to lose a a BS and gain something else I think. They also got rid of the Dead Man's Hand. I agree it was powerful, but they could have just toned it down. Such a great name. The one thing I am happy about is that Blood Song is mare than just a master-crafted combi-melta now. So there's my rant.

Also, anyone else just love the idea of master-crafted guns?

On his tactics, I play DC Tycho.  I put bolter DC foot sloggers with him in a landraider, maximizing rapid fire  then assaulting.  He gives them fleet, but its totally a fluff unit.  They just look cool with boltguns.

I always felt that boltgun armed Death Company would be good comming out a Drop Pod, since they can't charge when they arrive anyway and they're scary enough with two attacks and rage.

As for Tycho himself, he suffers from comming from an age when actually carrying a close-combat weapon wasn't really that big a deal (i.e.. 2nd Edition) if you were hard enough, which Tycho most certainly was.  That being said, there's always the chance they'll update the rules if they decide to update the model.  Calgar never used to have Terminator Armour, and Asmodai used to carry a Power Sword.  Though since Tycho is already dead in his own backstory, I don't think he's likely to get the same treatment.

He gives them fleet, but its totally a fluff unit.

No he doesnt. To get fleet every model in the unit must have.

Yea, they gave him Fleet, and then force you to put him with DC, who don't have it. Nothing in the dex does. But that's how Gee Dub be doing.

I guess it was to poke a stick in the other eye, after robbing him of any AP value in CC.

It really baffles me to try and identify the trail of thought the design team had:

"OH! Tycho, iconic BA character, lots of cool wargear and rules that make him fluffy and effective!"

"Get rid of his AP value"

"But... but sir, he'll be no better than a normal Marine?"

"That's okay the Dante and Astorath sales are down recently and we're buffing them instead."

Archived